7.0 made me do this..

Whoa so freaking beefy! I thought it was just going to be a good Hardrock song but that Pantera esque riffing at the end got me putting my horns up. \m/

thanks guys....
here's the details for y'all

the drums are BFD2 [I 'moused in' every lil' beat]
It helps that I was a drummer before I was a guitarist.. so I know how drums / drumming works..
basically I programme the way I wished I could play... lmao..

this clip is of a song about half way through so it starts in the middle-8
as you'll notice the vocals are not there yet... but I thought that'd be a good thing for this clip so you can hear what's happening..
all presets are just this
comp [doing almost nothing] ->amp->GEQ->cab
all other FX were handled in the DAW
this is only cos I don't like committing FX to 'tape' and has no bearing on the FX within the Axe at all

there are three rhythm guitar parts in this tune

1 - Clarky's live part
this is a single recorded part that I reamped twice
the main reamped part uses the Herbert ch3 through the 4x12 25W cab [I like this cab a lot]
this preset does my clean<- ->dirty tone morphing
you can hear this 'cleaning' at the start and during the verse [although this one cleans up only as far as a crunch]
this preset is panned left and copied to an aux with a sample delay and pitch shifter to create the stereo width
to add a little 'stuff' to this tone I reamped it a second time with the Brit Super [crunchy] through the 1960a
this is panned almost dead centre to give the hard panned Herbert channels a centre of gravity in the mix..
it's a seen and not heard thing
although it's more clearly heard at the start of the clip during the bluesy groove where the Herbert is morphed back to a 'clean-ish' tone

2 - supporting guitars
this is two recorded parts, one left, the other right
these are the 'fatteners' when the riffs get big
to the left is the 5153Blue through the 4x12 1960b V30 cab
to the right is the VH4 ch3 through the 4x12 SLM V30 cab
they are both set moderately hi-gain and [based upon a comment by Cliff] have the MV up around 5 [which is high for me] to allow the mids to pack a bigger punch... this is something that 7.0 does real well.. Cliff said that 7.0 offers a wider sweet spot on the MV.. so I tried it.. liked it a lot.. and had to exploit it..
it is worth pointing out that playing / recording these two parts and the main part real tight in that final riff is not easy..
that final riff is three independently performed parts.. you have to know it in serious detail [down to the like mute and pick stroke] to make it stick..
nailing it is certainly good for your playing though.. builds consistency..

3 - the singer's part
my singer will be playing a little rhythm guitar here and there when we play live so I created some simple parts for him..
he's lowish in the mix and panned a little to the right
I figured that when we tour he'll play through what ever is available.. which is usually a JCM800 through a 1960a..
so I set up exactly that in the Axe.. jeez... it sounded great.. it really added something nice to the mix..
in fact.. it was hearing this that gave me the idea of adding a 2nd reamped part to my own Herbert with the Brit Super..
the thinking was a combination of providing more punch to the Herbert in the mids, but also to bind our two parts together via a tone that sits halfway between my own higher gain tone and his crunchy JCM800.. and I loved it..

all of the riffing guitars are sent to an aux which adds a little reverb [Space Designer]
it's a small wooden room.. so it's very soft and just enough to make it sound a little live..

and finally... there's the soloing tone..
this is the Herbert ch3 through the 4x12 25W..
I'm pumping a pretty big signal into this too via a volume block
comp->vol->amp->GEQ->cab

the comp just evens out the dry guitar tone prior to stuffing it into the amp..
it's not set strong.. just enough to squeeze the dynamic range a little

in the DAW, the solo tone has the same widening method as my main riff tone
the delay is from Logic [just the 'echo'] so it's nothing clever
the reverb is a Lexicon hall with a 3.5s tail

the guitar is a Morgan Guitar Works V6 fitted with Bulldog pups [my signature 'Extremist' model - kinda like a DiMarzio Breed but with better definition]
the fella at Bulldog used to be one of the top designer / builder guys at Bare Knuckle..
personally I think Bulldog pups are better

anyways.... glad you all seemed to like it...
and thanks for taking the time to scope it out... that's cool..

I already knew you were a great guy with good technique, but still had you categorized among the shredders.
However, this can touch my soul and is a great mix between not too typical shredding and very tasteful bluesy lines in the solo + good riffing.
If it's all like that, I just may be persuaded to buy this later on :)
*DIG*

Was the "intro" riff an in-between setting in one of your patches? or another patch altogether?

yes.. the intro riff [which in the song is actually the middle 8] is the Herbert morphed back to clean-ish
there's a Brit Super in there with it just cos it sounded so cool

Thanks for sharing the details in such.. detail! I can learn a lot from this.

BTW.. I'd absolutely buy the album (as long as it doesn't end up with screamo cookie-monster vocals which would ruin everything great about this).

Good lord that is a huge sound and mix.
I had never played any of the Diezel amps but your previous post about them got me interested.
I started watching videos and paying attention to the guitarist I knew to use these amps.
7.0B has ended my curiosity. I now love these two amps. I get the Adam Jones tones with
VERY little tweaking.

Thanks for posting the clip.

haa.. there will be no cookie monsters in this song..
it's a song with singage that contains actual notes and stuff... lol...

the Diezels are great ain't they...
thing is.. they're not a one trick pony..
they're highly versatile..

I'll never forget playing one for the first time..
it was love at first riff..

It's not a style that I'd typically listen to, but it's really well done and the guitars sound awesome. If I didn't know how great the Axe was, I'd never in a million years guess it wasn't tubes. Excellent tones and taste. Makes me that much more excited to get some time with V7.

Back
Top Bottom