6505+ Power Section: Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Mitch Baker

EDIT: Solved!

I'm putting together a comparison of Quantum 8 to a real 6505+ and I ran into a head-scratcher. I figured that the closest I would get would be to run the Fractal into the FX return of the amp with the poweramp modeling disabled (negative feedback at 0) but the closest I've been able to get is to actually keep the poweramp modeling on and stack them on top of each other. I don't want to finish making the comparison until I figure out if I'm doing something wrong here.

The amp is bias modded, if that makes any difference, but I don't figure that it does in this case since everything is feeding through it.

Resonance and presence on the 6505+ are both set at 6 for all examples, the depth and presence within the Fractal are at 6 when enabled, and the high cut is at 0 when the power amp is off.

First clip is the real amp through-and-through, second is the Fractal into the FX return of the 6505+ with negative feedback at 0, third is the Fractal into the FX return of the 6505+ with negative feedback at the standard setting of 8.5, and fourth is the real amp again.

Last edited:
Is 'Supply Sag' in the Pwr Amp page not the parameter to set to zero to disable Power amp modelling?

I'm now gone FRFR the last 3 years - but when I used before that my Peavy 50/50 Clasic tubeamp and a 412 Marshall box. For me it sounded better with the power amp modeling on.

I'm now gone FRFR the last 3 years - but when I used before that my Peavy 50/50 Clasic tubeamp and a 412 Marshall box. For me it sounded better with the power amp modeling on.

Better is better, there is no right or wrong way

When I used a guitar cabinet I often used IR's with it....shock, gasp, horror.....but, but...your SUPPOSED to turn those OFF aren't you ? Sure, maybe..... but... I found running the IR through the additional coloration of the cabinet gave me an end tone I liked. The different IR's were basically like EQ curves and it was a quick/easy way to turn a dial and find something I liked.

In the end, doesn't matter how you arrive at a tone, just that it sounds subjectively good. I could of done plenty of other EQ options and got the same thing, but no one listening knows or cares how you arrive at it.

Back
Top Bottom