64-bit Axe-Edit for Windows 10?

rickbarclay

Inspired
Hi, all. I'm running Axe Edit v3.14xxx on a Dell Inspiron 7720 loaded with Windows 10 64-bit OS with
8 gb of ddr3 ram. Lately, I've been getting CPU usage errors and static when running Axe Edit around
67 % usage. So I just now ordered 16 gb of ram hoping to solve the usage problem.

Upon further investigation, I just found out Axe Edit is a 32-bit program, which I believe negates any attempt to
improve its performance on a 64-bit OS. So, before I go exploring Fractal's tech site I thought I'd ask here
if any of you know whether or not there is a 64-bit version of Axe Edit II that works on an Axe FX II?

Thanks for any info.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm not sure what you hope to improve in Axe Edit by adding memory?

Axe edit doesn't use much resource on the computer and also it is an editor - there is no audio routing thru it.

Are you talking CPU usage on your computer or your preset?

Using the Axe Fx USB driver (which Axe Edit uses, as well it's your DAW if using the USB interface) will add a few percentage points to your Axe Fx CPU... But the safety zone is 90% or less.

Thanks for the reply, unix-guy. I'm talking cpu usage here. It's easy enough to lower preset memory, which I did, and also which helped.I understand and agree about resources, but something is causing a cpu problem when I use my Axe FX II. It appears to be
a memory problem, and so I'm upgrading to 16 gigs. I can use the taskmaster to monitor the memory and see what happens. I did thatlast night and was able to gain a few percentage points by closing programs I knew I didn't need.

The problems really becomes critical when I load Reaper or Transcribe. So, we'll see what happens. But why is it that programs like Reaper and Rocksmith offer 32 or 64 bit programs and Axe Edit does not? Lowering the preset memory usage seems to me to be self-defeating.
I'm asking only because I've started to experience this memory problem lately while using only the Axe and the editor--no Trancribe or
Reaper.

Thanks again.

Axe edit and the preset CPU percentage have nothing to do with problems on your PC.
What kind of errors does it show? Post a screenshot eventually.

I'm talking cpu usage here. It's easy enough to lower preset memory,
Presets don't report "memory" usage, they report CPU usage.

That's why I asked if it's computer CPU or preset CPU.

Adding memory to your computer is not going to fix a problem with your CPU usage.

Having a 64-bit version of Axe-Edit won't help either. The 32-bit will not be able to address as much memory as the 64-bit, but Axe-Edit doesn't require that much memory address space, anyway.

Axe edit and the preset CPU percentage have nothing to do with problems on your PC.
What kind of errors does it show? Post a screenshot eventually.
The error came up on the Axe FX II screen. It said something to the effect that CPU usage was high or too high. I'm surprised I even saw it, because I usually never look at that little yellow window.

The error came up on the Axe FX II screen. It said something to the effect that CPU usage was high or too high. I'm surprised I even saw it, because I usually never look at that little yellow window.
That is a Preset CPU issue...

That means you have too much in your preset. It has nothing to do with your computer, except possibly that when you connect your Axe Fx with USB that will add a couple percent to overall CPU load.

Presets don't report "memory" usage, they report CPU usage.

That's why I asked if it's computer CPU or preset CPU.
Adding memory to your computer is not going to fix a problem with your CPU usage.
Having a 64-bit version of Axe-Edit won't help either. The 32-bit will not be able to address as much memory as the 64-bit, but Axe-Edit doesn't require that much memory address space, anyway.

Well, I've owned my Axe for several years now, and I've faithfully upgraded its firmware and the software for Axe Edit. What bothers me is that I've only recently run into this problem while using the Axe. My understanding of RAM is that it allows for better multitasking. So, am I multitasking when using my axe as a soundcard for Reaper or Transcribe.?

Another question for me then is, if adding more ram won't help cure my CPU usage problem, then what will? My problem is this: if I play my instrument for long periods, the sound coming thru rhe axe deteriorates to the point where it produces much static. When I boot everything up, using Transcribe or Reaper the Axe will produce static. When this first occurred I deleted preset blocks in order to lower the preset CPU percentage. It helped, but only for a while.

The ram is on order and due to arrive Friday. I'll install it and see what happens. Thanks for replying guys. I really appreciate it.

With no USB connected to your Axe Fx, what is the CPU reported by the preset? If it's close to 90%, you are in the danger zone. Connecting USB will potentially trigger a CPU warning and cause crackling and glitches.

Also, be aware that Drive blocks can have "variable" CPU... Meaning it can change while you are playing.

If you have any modifier attached to Input Drive on the Amp block, that can cause CPU increases.

If your CPU is high, you need to remove blocks or alter settings to reduce it.

It is also possible that you are encountering buffer issues with the audio driver... Especially if it only happens when you are using your DAW.

If that is the case I'll have to defer to someone else... I have done any recording myself in a DAW in a couple years.

Back
Top Bottom