60Hz Hum When Facing Axe-Fx...

johnrobbfl

Inspired
So out of nowhere all of a sudden I have a 60Hz hum through my CLR when I face my Axe-Fx or are within +/-3 feet of it. If I spin 180 degrees so my back is facing it the noise goes away completely.

It has been stationary for months, as has the CLR which is connected to output 1 via an XLR.

I have tried plugging both things into different outlets and bypassing the Monster 2500 Power Conditioner and using different guitar cables (all pretty expensive SpectraFlex). Any ideas as to why and what else I can do to troubleshoot?

Last edited:
that's not an electrical hum, it's magnetic, is it only doing it with one Guitar or all ?
single coil pickup?
have you checked your wiring ?

that's not an electrical hum, it's magnetic, is it only doing it with one Guitar or all ?
single coil pickup?

It happens on both my PRS's. One with a Duncan JB and the other with PRS 59/09's. I just had the 59/09's installed and thought that was the problem until I plugged the other guitar in and the noise was there as well.

Thanks!

Mine does the same. My laptop is above the rack and when I face the Axe I get buzz and hum. Once I turn 90 degrees it goes away. Not a big deal for me though since I only go near it to edit or to select a backing track.

any recent FW updates?

No, I'm on 18.10 still

Mine does the same. My laptop is above the rack and when I face the Axe I get buzz and hum. Once I turn 90 degrees it goes away. Not a big deal for me though since I only go near it to edit or to select a backing track.

If it always did this I would probably been more understanding, but it's usually dead quiet.

I think I'll have them looked at - seems like the wiring is the logical problem.

It's always happened here. Not a big deal to me because as soon as I move more than a foot away it disappears. Same thing happens when I get close to my computer when plugged into the Axe.

I am on wireless and still get the hum. Same with SVL once I am a foot away or turn it goes away and then it is whisper quiet.

Input cable failing? Does it hum with no input cable?

No, and in fact if I turn the volume on the guitar down the hum goes away - that realization makes me think it's not a ground loop or cable issue but an interference or magnetic field issue.

Maybe I should look around my room for a CIA listening device?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My laptop running Axe Edit is next to my AFII. When I'm close enough, within a couple of feet, I get noise through the pickups, but it's the laptop, not the Axe FX. Sometimes you can even tell it's disc activity. I think the Fractal stuff is well shielded, but I imagine if you get close enough you can get some RFI off the CPU.

So out of nowhere all of a sudden I have a 60Hz hum through my CLR when I face my Axe-Fx or are within +/-3 feet of it. If I spin 180 degrees so my back is facing it the noise goes away completely.

The bit about cancellation with a 180-degree turn is puzzling. Everything else in this thread suggests a magnetic field coming in through the pickups. But you usually get a cancellation of the field with a 90-degree turn, not 180.

Any idea why it would happen all of a sudden? Have you just put some more gear next to your axe-fx?/

Easy way to confirm its magnetic hum through the pickups is to roll your guitar volume to zero. If there is no hum then its coming through the pickups.

I found the same thing, especially with single coils. It came in with FW17 for me if I recall correctly. I remember thinking that maybe it was a trade off in getting more like a real amp, which it most definitely is now.

Back
Top Bottom