6 space rack case?

Ive never used rack gear before...im doing some searching and finding there are different standard depths the cases come in. I'm looking for a 6 space rack case for my ultra, carvin ts100 and future expansion. what hard cases do you guys and gals use? Guitarcenter.com has the "Gator GR-6S ATA 6-Space Shallow Rack Case" for $139. Would this work? Thanks!

I have a 6 space ATA Road ready that I no longer need if you are interested shoot me a PM I can send you the details.

Probably ok - but things I've discovered over the years are that sometimes it's a good idea to have a little extra room at the back of the rack case (meaning not use a shallow one). You then have room to roll up and pack in any power cables or clip in a power block (if you aren't using a Power Conditioner in a rack space). This obviously won't be a problem while you've still got a couple of spaces left and are leaving the bottom 2 spaces free - but later on it might become an issue.

What happens down the line if the next thing you want to stick in the rack is deeper than the current shallow depth?

Probably ok - but things I've discovered over the years are that sometimes it's a good idea to have a little extra room at the back of the rack case (meaning not use a shallow one). You then have room to roll up and pack in any power cables or clip in a power block (if you aren't using a Power Conditioner in a rack space). This obviously won't be a problem while you've still got a couple of spaces left and are leaving the bottom 2 spaces free - but later on it might become an issue.

What happens down the line if the next thing you want to stick in the rack is deeper than the current shallow depth?

I agree. Which ever brand you buy, you might want to considering buying one with rolling wheels to save your back if you plan to transport. Also consider for your "future expansion" the possible need for a 1-space power conditioner. Your Ultra will take up 2-spaces, I think your Carvin takes up 2-spaces(?) and a power conditioner (if used) will take up 1-space. That only leaves 1-space for your future expansion.

Last edited:

+1

One of my old mini-rigs lived in a small and shallow rack case. Seemed like a good idea at the time until I wanted to hook up a few pedals and stash them in the back of the rack. In a normal depth rack it would have been fine.... shallow rack though? Not a chance.

I'm waiting for my new rack to turn up. Nothing fancy for now, just a standard rack. Until I feel it's really necessary, I'm not lugging around the weight of a shockmount rack. Mine's Ultra (2U), GT800FX (1U), patch panel (1U), power conditioner (1U) and then I'll just fill the space with a vented 1U panel.

At the moment I'm using a 4U Gator case and I'm not particularly thrilled about it. Cheap, but I guess it shows. The latches are a bit average, and despite not taking a beating, the rack isn't quite the same shape as it originally was. :lol: Maybe it warped a bit back when I had a 3U tube poweramp in it or something.

I have a 6U Gator rolling rack that has worked well. It weights more than the non-rolling equivalent but you gain the casters. The venues you play may, or may not, facilitate the use of casters. They make an 8U version as well.

Gator Cases is the manufacturer of musical instrument and audio visual cases - 6U Audio Rack; Rolling (GRR-6L)

Terry.

Used to play with a bassist that had that case and was very happy with it. Depends on your transport situation too. My band puts everything in a trailer, and are not always gentle at 2:00am. :) If other people handle and/or drive your gear, get something nice.

Back
Top Bottom