6 best tips on metronome use!

Great stuff!

Wayne Krantz has a lesson (for sale on his website) about time and using metronome - he has some good ideas.

These days, when I practice, I try to "stretch" my time towards the uncomfortable. It does me good - now I can stay on the click as low as 34 bpm. It's all about subdividing! I also do a lot of soloing at low bpm, for example 50, thinking it's 100.

Why I do this? Because when you play live, you don't always get all you need from a drummer. It's useful to be good at subdividing, so you can stay in time no matter what!

Sorry for bad english :)

Cool. I see Jeff's point, but I'm not sure I agree with him completely. OK, I never really used a metronome when I was learning and I don't use it while I'm learning a piece. But I do use it when I improvise or after I've learned a piece. I tend to turn it on and off again as a reality check, sometimes. In the past few months I've started using it when I improvise because I found myself not relaxing at faster tempos.

He's saying not to use it when learning a song or an exercise. But he still doesn't support the idea of metronomes in general. I think you can go overboard with them. A band's tempo ebbs and flows a little with regards to tempo, which is fine and natural. I dislike metronomic music, where everything is quantized and must adhere to the grid by way of click.

@freaktorn I have all of Wayne' lessons. Everybody should get them! HIGHLY recommended.
@henyrobbinett use the metronome as a tool to target several issues in specific. Don't turn it on while you are examining a piece. That's what Jeff is saying.

Back
Top Bottom