Bug? 6.02b1 Losing system+gb+fc.syx params

DJD100

Power User
Last night got to rehearsal and all my system+gb+fc.syx params were gone, second time they've been wiped by 6.02b1 and/or Editor 15 (first time was after first power cycle post the initial install of 6.02b1.

This second time the FM3 was fine yesterday morning when it was packed up, but system+gb+fc.syx params gone and replaced by default at 8:00 that (all else was fine).

Reloaded system+gb+fc.syx params last night later on and left unplugged all night, fine in the morning, but headed back to the safety of 6.01 here for gigs (6.01 successfully reinstalled along with editor 14).

NOTE: My show is automated, so in use are lots of assigned MIDI CC's for remote selection of Scenes, Block Channels, Tempo, plus External Foot Switch assignments, Control MIDI sending CC's and Notes to Ableton LIVE, plus various MIDI Prefs (Thru on, PC's off, Scene Revert, MIDI Channel etc), Block Bypass etc.

Steps: (This via Editor 15 under current Window 10).

1) Set up extensive remote control abilities via MIDI (both sending and receiving), plus a Mosky Dual Switch controlling Scene Increment and Decrement, plus Block Bypass in 6.01.
2) Install 6.02b1 via latest Fractal Bot.
3) Install Editor 15 and refresh.
4) Edit and save preset(s), plus save preset(s) to new location(s).
5) Power cycle FM3 (in my case I left it for hours, plugged in but powered off).
6) Next power on, immediately noticed footswitch lables and functionality gone, found all system+gb+fc.syx params reset to default.

NOTE: 6.01 and Editor 14 have been rock solid, so don't think it's HW related.
NOTE: Preset and system+gb+fc.syx available on request.

Last edited:
Last night got to rehearsal and all my system+gb+fc.syx params were gone, second time they've been wiped by 6.02b1 and/or Editor 15 (first time was after first power cycle post the initial install of 6.02b1.

This second time the FM3 was fine yesterday morning when it was packed up, but system+gb+fc.syx params gone and replaced by default at 8:00 that (all else was fine).

Reloaded system+gb+fc.syx params last night later on and left unplugged all night, fine in the morning, but headed back to the safety of 6.01 here for gigs (6.01 successfully reinstalled along with editor 14).

NOTE: My show is automated, so in use are lots of assigned MIDI CC's for remote selection of Scenes, Block Channels, Tempo, plus External Foot Switch assignments, Control MIDI sending CC's and Notes to Ableton LIVE, plus various MIDI Prefs (Thru on, PC's off, Scene Revert, MIDI Channel etc), Block Bypass etc.

Steps:
1) Set up extensive remote control abilities via MIDI (both sending and receiving), plus a Mosky Dual Switch controlling Scene Increment and Decrement, plus Block Bypass in 6.01.
2) Install 6.02b1 via latest Fractal Bot.
3) Install Editor 15 and refresh.
4) Edit and save preset(s), plus save preset(s) to new location(s).
5) Power cycle FM3 (in my case I left it for hours, plugged in but powered off).
6) Next power on, immediately noticed footswitch lables and functionality gone, found all system+gb+fc.syx params reset to default.

NOTE: 6.01 and Editor 14 have been rock solid, so don't think it's HW related.
NOTE: Preset and system+gb+fc.syx available on request.
Maybe I’m missing something, but you start editing in FM3-Edit before you power cycle and “refresh after firmware” the FM3 after you load the new Firmware?

I make sure to have the new FM3 Edit software installed and closed before installing the new firmware with Fractal Bot. Then immediately reboot the FM3 and start FM3 Edit which usually initiates a refresh, but I do it a second time from the menu just to be methodical.

Also, I would put these possible serious bugs in the Firmware thread with the “Bug” identifier.

Maybe I’m missing something, but you start editing in FM3-Edit before you power cycle and “refresh after firmware” the FM3 after you load the new Firmware?

I make sure to have the new FM3 Edit software installed and closed before installing the new firmware with Fractal Bot. Then immediately reboot the FM3 and start FM3 Edit which usually initiates a refresh, but I do it a second time from the menu just to be methodical.

Also, I would put these possible serious bugs in the Firmware thread with the “Bug” identifier.
Hi...

FW 6.02b1 never saw FM3 Edit 14, only Edit 15, which did do it's refresh and all was initially fine.

With Edit 14 closed, I installed 6.02b1 via Fractal Bot, then installed Edit 15 and started it (it refreshed), edited and saved a patch, closed Edit 15, shut down FM3.

Later, fired up FM3 and system+gb+fc.syx params were wiped and set back to default. Second time it happened without any installs, just normal editing, saved preset to a new location, then the system+gb+fc.syx params were again gone hours later when starting FM3..

Maybe doing the refresh twice makes a difference, but it shouldn't, and if it does it's another bug.

There used to be a Bug section of the forum, but now it says put them here, right?

If not here then where?

How do you do the Bug Identifier?

Last edited:
Hi...

FW 6.02b1 never saw FM3 Edit 14, only Edit 15, which did do it's refresh and all was initially fine.

With Edit 14 closed, I installed 6.02b1 via Fractal Bot, then installed Edit 15 and started it (it refreshed), edited and saved a patch, closed Edit 15, shut down FM3.

Later, fired up FM3 and system+gb+fc.syx params were wiped and set back to default. Second time it happened without any installs, just normal editing, saved preset to a new location, then the system+gb+fc.syx params were again gone hours later when starting FM3..

Maybe doing the refresh twice makes a difference, but it shouldn't, and if it does it's another bug.

There used to be a Bug section of the forum, but now it says put them here, right?

If not here then where?

How do you do the Bug Identifier?
OK, I think I misread your earlier post. Sorry.

As far as bug posting. I meant to put bugs about the beta firmware in the beta firmware thread. Honestly I really don’t know what is best. I thought that was the directed way, but the beta thread gets bogged down with superfluous posts (which I’m guilty of doing) that I imagine things can get lost.

I am a bit surprised by the lack of response to what seems like legit issues for some people like yourself. Maybe these issues are understood and FAS is busy fixing them and will release a new revision soon. It seems like it’s bugs in the automation area of the unit. Which I imagine is easy to diagnose, but a PITA to rectify. (combing through code) I hope your issues can get squared away.

The only other thing I’ve been wondering and this is complete conjecture is the firmware is now getting so large that it is starting to use and address EEPROM space that hasn’t been needed and these inconsistencies in experiences is due to bad memory areas and the firmware is getting corrupted. Like I said this could be a complete misunderstanding of things and a wrong assumption. So don’t make too much of it. However, maybe a call to support would not be a bad idea.

OK, I think I misread your earlier post. Sorry.

As far as bug posting. I meant to put bugs about the beta firmware in the beta firmware thread. Honestly I really don’t know what is best. I thought that was the directed way, but the beta thread gets bogged down with superfluous posts (which I’m guilty of doing) that I imagine things can get lost.

I am a bit surprised by the lack of response to what seems like legit issues for some people like yourself. Maybe these issues are understood and FAS is busy fixing them and will release a new revision soon. It seems like it’s bugs in the automation area of the unit. Which I imagine is easy to diagnose, but a PITA to rectify. (combing through code) I hope your issues can get squared away.

The only other thing I’ve been wondering and this is complete conjecture is the firmware is now getting so large that it is starting to use and address EEPROM space that hasn’t been needed and these inconsistencies in experiences is due to bad memory areas and the firmware is getting corrupted. Like I said this could be a complete misunderstanding of things and a wrong assumption. So don’t make too much of it. However, maybe a call to support would not be a bad idea.
Yes, it's memory related, and since it's all FLASH and works fine in 6.01, it's not my HW. Not sure whether it's related to the Editor or not, that requires real testing to isolate between the Editor and the Front Panel etc, a job for their QA.

Most likely they add a feature and have to reshuffle the params in memory, and something unintended happens which is the purpose of the beta program which allows for more testing etc, though beta firmware/software simply is use at your own risk LOL (and I'm out, back to 6.01 for me)!

My setup, seeing it controls external devices (Ableton LIVE), while being mostly automated by the same, plus the included the Mosky Dual Switch, is likely more complex than most as well, and including all the Controllers in my rig it's probably relatively unique among the user base who most often switch their own stuff. With the 5.x betas it was the Controllers that were being wiped and reset to default, but Fractal found and fixed that before release once I reported it, as they no doubt will with this issue.

Last edited:
Yes, it's memory related, and since it's all FLASH and works fine in 6.01, it's not my HW. Not sure whether it's related to the Editor or not, that requires real testing to isolate between the Editor and the Front Panel etc, a job for their QA.

Most likely they add a feature and have to reshuffle the params in memory, and something unintended happens which is the purpose of the beta program which allows for more testing etc, though beta firmware/software is simply is use at your own risk LOL (and I'm out, back to 6.01 for me)!

My setup, seeing it controls external devices (Ableton LIVE), while being mostly automated by the same, plus the included the Mosky Dual Switch, is likely more complex than most as well, and including all the Controllers in my rig it's probably is relatively unique among the users base who most often switch their own stuff. With the 5.x betas it was the Controllers that were being wiped and reset to default, but Fractal found and fixed that before release once I reported it, as they no doubt will with this issue.
Right, and I also posted the bug in the FW thread, though I couldn't figure out how to make the yellow "BUG?" in the title LOL?

I find convenient to post the bug in the section of "FM3 discussion" as a new thread. Also it can help to post a short message in the beta thread with a small description and the link to the new bug posted.
Betas and releases threads are always a lot of pages and pages of users saying thanks, wow, fractal is the best, etc. I guess it's not easy for FAS to read every message in that large threads...

@DJD100
Maybe Reset System Parameters can help you to solve this issue?

Here are the steps I always do when installing new firmware, resetting the system parameters before and after the installation:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-version-4-00-beta-2.173429/post-2099668

I only change several parameters in the setup, so it's a fast process to me. If you have a lot of midi parameters, it can be very tedious...
Won't work for me, though I recently learned I can back up the system, global, foot controller params via the Fractal Bot, so now I have my complex rig backed up (to system+gb+fc.syx).

My setup, seeing it controls external devices (Ableton LIVE), while being mostly automated by the same, plus the included the Mosky Dual Switch, is likely more complex than most as well, and including all the Controllers in my rig it's probably is relatively unique among the user base who most often switch their own stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom