5FDP - Bad Company Tone / Gear Suggestions

Muzick

Experienced
I've always played music from the likes of Pink Floyd, Beatles, Coldplay, etc. (I've always enjoyed listening to heavier music though.) So the other day I hear 5FDP covering Bad Company! That has motivated me to start learning about heavier tones in music.

Anyways, where would you guys suggest I start with Jason Hook's tone? (Amp Type, cab, drive pedal, etc.)

The last piece of this is I have two Fender Strats. I know they are not really designed for metal but it's what I have to work with at the moment.

1984 American Deluxe
3 Active Single Coil EMG's

2008 American Deluxe
2 Passive Single Coils & 1 Passive Humbucker.

(Embarrassingly I've never paid much attention to my pickups as most guys here do.)

Like a lot of us here I don't have much money to spend, but in the future what type of pickups would you guys suggest I look into if I'm going down this road?

Thanks a lot!
Brandon

hey dude! gonna share what I know about this since I love 5FDP and Jason's playing in particular! He's a huge Marshall fan, I remember reading he uses a JCM800 pretty much exclusively in the studio, with a boss pedal in front (not sure if an OD or something like a DS1), I saw him using a YJM model live and for a lot of European dates he was actually using an Axe-fx 2 rig, using the JCM 800 MOD sim! as far as pickups, he uses Seymour Duncans and I'm pretty sure he sticks with the JB most of the times, so that would be the optimal choice imo! keep in mind 90% of 5FDP sound is coming from their tuning choice (B standard on a six string guitar)..hope that helps!

I know Zoltan (the other guitarist in the band) uses Dunlop 0.66 to 0.13, so very heavy gauge, Jason sometimes uses a seven string guitar live, in standard 7 string tuning (low B to high E) so he can benefit of something like a 0.10 for solos which is way easier to bend than a 0.13! in the studio he often tracks solos using a guitar in standard D tuning instead of B for the same reason (smoother feeling, easier vibratos/bends etc..) ..so in my opinion it really depends if you wanna play solos (in this case you could go for something lighter on the higher strings) or mostly rhythms (go for the heaviest set you can find lol)..their sound is coming from pounding the strings very hard and keeping a relatively medium gain setting..higher gain settings combined with those low tunings would result in a mess, keeping the gain low is the only way to maintain note definition!

Guitarcenter had the Ernie ball 52's. The skinny top heavy bottom. I primarily will be doing the rhythm while the other guitarist will be doing mostly solos. Hopefully 52s will suffice. Thanks a lot!

they use Diamond amps I think Zoltan the Nitrox which is like a 5150 w more bottom end
Hook is the phantom which is a Jcm800 mod so Rocco is correct on the 800MOD

heir sound is coming from pounding the strings very hard and keeping a relatively medium gain setting..higher gain settings combined with those low tunings would result in a mess, keeping the gain low is the only way to maintain note definition!

Duly noted. Of course I'm having a battery problem with the strat emg's. It's located underneath the pick guard and it's been a pain in the ass to put back together lol...

Back
Top Bottom