59 Deluxe

I had an earlier 50's Deluxe years ago. 5C3? Great amp. I also had a Victoria Tweed Deluxe with a Celestion Blue that sounded really good.

For some reason I have not had much luck dialing in the 5E3 model in the Axe II. I'll have to give it another go. I'd be curious to know how the 5E3 model in the Axe stacks up to the amp in the OP. Of course vintage amps can vary greatly...

My next door neighbor was the fender factory bass player in Fullerton. We lived in the neighboring town of Brea. I was nine years old in 1965 and he gave me a 65 Strat and Deluxe Reverb. I was a young sports star of sorts so never got to fulfill my dream to play guitar until only recently. I still have the Deluxe Reverb though it needs some tender loving care. I gave the Strat away to a friend in high school in 72. One of if not the most bonehead decisions of my life. Doooooohhhhh! There is a lot of history in that 59 Deluxe. Way cool!

@cobbler if the caps have never been changed under the cap pan
they are due also most all of the carbon comp resistors are drifting like mad now
tech in Austin said most of those amps are coming in for repairs and those things
are a part of the problem...

Caps are located under the cap pan and they can shock the snot out of you
if you are careful and do not touch them you could at least peek at them
and see if they re bubbling or leaking out...

Unfortunately since most of our manufacturing has been shipped out of the country,
we are eating it now for cost on those parts..
soon as they got out of the USA the price went up..

in a 65 they should be sprague caps the shelf life is 10 years on those
sometimes they dont leak look fine but after this long if they are original
they need to be changed..

Again they store voltage and will shock you if you touch them
there is foam under the cap pan that sometimes sticks too the caps
so when you lift it off its kind stuck sometimes they just lift right off.

I drain the charge on the amp before dicking around good way to get
knocked off the bench and or killed ..

but danger is my middle ..................................
zZzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz grrrrrrrrr aaaaaahhhhh POW

I had an earlier 50's Deluxe years ago. 5C3? Great amp. I also had a Victoria Tweed Deluxe with a Celestion Blue that sounded really good.

For some reason I have not had much luck dialing in the 5E3 model in the Axe II. I'll have to give it another go. I'd be curious to know how the 5E3 model in the Axe stacks up to the amp in the OP. Of course vintage amps can vary greatly...

I know Wes Montgomery liked this amp too so I dialed one in off some his recordings..
try this out see if it sounds ok....

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 10.14.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 10.14.40 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 10.15.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 10.15.07 PM.png
    214.4 KB · Views: 8
I switched to the Suggestion made for speaker just now and I used london plate for verb mixed to taste and no Wes did not use those other efx of course but I just copied another patch over and built the amp around Wes Montgomery's amp sounds.. I think I just copied it over from my Steely Dan patch for dont take me alive and made some changes to the amp..

oh im using an ibanez at100 guitar with rails in neck and middle and humbucker in bridge.
so this is voiced around humbuckers...

I used a fuzzface to nail the front end to get Dont take me alive sound..
Since thats what was used on the recording for that tune according too the horses mouth..

My next door neighbor was the fender factory bass player in Fullerton. We lived in the neighboring town of Brea. I was nine years old in 1965 and he gave me a 65 Strat and Deluxe Reverb. I was a young sports star of sorts so never got to fulfill my dream to play guitar until only recently. I still have the Deluxe Reverb though it needs some tender loving care. I gave the Strat away to a friend in high school in 72. One of if not the most bonehead decisions of my life. Doooooohhhhh! There is a lot of history in that 59 Deluxe. Way cool!

Its not too late to find that friend and claim you were not of sound mind then.
It of course wont work but its worth a shot..

they are due also most all of the carbon comp resistors are drifting like mad now
tech in Austin said most of those amps are coming in for repairs and those things

Unfortunately since most of our manufacturing has been shipped out of the country,

Lol Tex, you're a funny dude

Soon. We are going back to the studio next month for an IR session that will concentrate on Fenders, 1x12s and other small amps and cabs.

Sorry to be a broken record but please think about doing some EVM-12Ls in 1 X 12 cabs, esp. open back cabs.
I still haven't heard any IRs that do justice to these types of cabs.
Thanks.

Sorry to be a broken record but please think about doing some EVM-12Ls in 1 X 12 cabs, esp. open back cabs.
I still haven't heard any IRs that do justice to these types of cabs.
Thanks.

Those speakers sound okay in the room but they just don't take mics well. Probably why they aren't that popular on recordings. In the far-field they sound pretty good but close up they are nasally and boxy. Takes a lot of work to find a sweet spot, if there even is one.

Oh you don't have to tell me that. I learned that lesson the hard way! I heard it buzzing and thought I would check inside without thinking of unplugging it since i had turned it off. Knocked me on my ass big time. Probably a good thing I had rubber wheels between me and the floor. :eek:

Beautiful amp. Don't know what that speaker is, but it's some big honking ceramic magnet speaker. Original would've been some kind of low wattage alnico Jensen.

The original Tweed Deluxe in the Axe was my 58 5E3. I don't know about the G3 version, as Cliff didn't ask for my amp back after G3. Don't know if FAS got one of their own, used a different one or just used data they had to improve the model. Wherever it came from, I love the Tweed Deluxe in the Axe just like I do my own physical amp. One of the great things about the Axe version is that you can create patches like the Wes Montgomery patch and other great clean patches and play them at a higher volume level than you could never get out of an original Tweed Deluxe without getting dirty. Conversely, I love that you can get all the beauty of a cranked Tweed Deluxe in a quieter package, too. It's just a great amp. Sounds great without pedals, but also responds beautifully to pedals as well, particularly if you set it up a little cleaner to start with. Low end disappears almost entirely when you drive it hard (happens in the model just like in real life). Bridge pickup in a tele works great to make low end audible under those conditions.

Totally psyched that FAS is going into the studio to capture some Fender IRs. Those are my favorite flavors.

A friend of mine who I played in a band with for a long time had the Tweed Deluxe that inspired me to get mine. He was originally using a Jensen P12P in it which sounded fabulous. Over time the speaker degraded and he decided to replace it. He put an Alnico Blue in it and he said the volume of the thing almost doubled. Sounds great with that speaker as well (as do many amps), so you might try an Alnico Blue IR, too.

Yes, I loved the Victoria Deluxe I had with a Celestion Blue. That speaker is a great match with the 5e3 circuit.

I played around with the AxeII model today for the first time in a long time. Very happy with the results today, especially with a Tele. Really excited to hear that FAS is planning some new ultrares IRs from small Fenders.

Yes, I loved the Victoria Deluxe I had with a Celestion Blue. That speaker is a great match with the 5e3 circuit.

I played around with the AxeII model today for the first time in a long time. Very happy with the results today, especially with a Tele. Really excited to hear that FAS is planning some new ultrares IRs from small Fenders.

The 5E3 model in the Axe-Fx was actually matched to a Victoria.

Back
Top Bottom