59' Bassman model based on High or Normal channel?

Raab90

Inspired
Hello, well the title is quite self explanatory.
I love the sound of old fenders, and want to know which channel was the mode based on.

Thanks.

GREAT question!

I had a Bassman clone. It was modded from a Bogen J330 (amazing amp!, one of my all time favorites), and I loved having both hi and lo inputs on each channel.

That amp could accommodate 4 simultaneous inputs (when both inputs per channel were used, they were both hi).

But, I'm so happy to be avoiding the problems of new rectifier tubes and rattling metal chassis.

Last edited:
I imagine it would be possible to simulate either channel using the bright switch, but still, it would be great to have both and the option to jump as with the plexi models.

The JTM45 is close to it, and I'll bet it wouldn't be too hard to change a few parameters to make it more like the Bassman. In fact, the first change I make when using the JTM45 is the tubes to KT66. Changing tubes in the Axe FX is subtle, not quite the same as when changing tubes on my Maven Peal or, in particular, the various Emery Sound amps I used to own, but still noticeable. And, much more so with the current FW.

If I remember correctly, I think most all the Fenders are based on the hi channel, but Cliff has said to mimic the lo you just have to drop the input trim to 0.5.

True. Getting the lo input is easy.

The OP is asking about normal vs. bright channel. I really think that could be accomplished with the bright switch, but it would be nice to know which channel was modeled.

I would love to have the option of both and jumped.

There is no "High" channel on a 59 Bassman. There is a Normal and Bright channel. The Bright channel model is selected by turning on the Bright switch. The models are based on the higher gain input (the "1" input). To simulate the lower gain input simply set Input Trim to 0.5.

There is no "High" channel on a 59 Bassman. There is a Normal and Bright channel. The Bright channel model is selected by turning on the Bright switch. The models are based on the higher gain input (the "1" input). To simulate the lower gain input simply set Input Trim to 0.5.

Yek Alert! This would make a nice addition to Wiki entry for the amp. :)

Man, the Axe is so deep. I need to take a sabbatical and just go through each amp one by one and really get to know them.

Already done, I believe.

Yek Alert! This would make a nice addition to Wiki entry for the amp. :)

Man, the Axe is so deep. I need to take a sabbatical and just go through each amp one by one and really get to know them.

Reactions: yek
What I think we really need is a modded Bassman model, adding an extra gain stage on the "bass" input, and changing the bright switch to a midshift.

Turns an already classic amp into a roaring rock monster that out plexi's a plexi.

All the Mike Ness/Social D fans (like myself) would love it.

What I think we really need is a modded Bassman model, adding an extra gain stage on the "bass" input, and changing the bright switch to a midshift.

Turns an already classic amp into a roaring rock monster that out plexi's a plexi.

All the Mike Ness/Social D fans (like myself) would love it.

Turn on the Fat switch. Hit the Boost switch. Done.

I know this is super old now, but I wanted to drop this somewhere: the low inputs on a Fender have a 136k input impedance, so you'll also want to drop the Axe-FX input to 90k or 230k.

Back
Top Bottom