5153 so easy to get a good tone, feels like cheating!

VidarAus

Experienced
Over the years, I have spent almost all of my time with the Mesa models - particularly the Mark IV. For me, these models take a fair bit of mucking around to get the most out of them, but what a tone! I don’t think this is a problem with the models - the real world counterparts can be tricky too.

I recently got a Strandberg and for some reason it inspired me to play around with some other models.

I happened on the 5153 Blue 50w. Drive at 6. York Audio Mesa Oversized V2 Mix 1 (favourite IR), 80hz low cut in cab block. Recto large impedance curve. Maxon 808 tube screamer model in front with drive at zero and level at 7. Gain enhancer at 1 as play at low volume. I may have raised input low cut to 200hz and maybe lowered master to 3 or 4 and upped level to compensate volume, but can’t remember (not with Axe right now). Everything else at stock. Sounds like a lot when written out, but is actually nothing. And all other knobs at noon which feels strange but works!

Killer heavy rhythm tone. Like, amazingly good. With no mucking around.

Is it really this easy with this model? It is bloody wonderful. So rich and full, with an awesome chug with that perfect amount of pick attack. Real woody sort of overtones (don’t know how else to explain it).

Anyone else use it like this? Any tips for this model, as it seems too easy right out of the box!

I feel like I have had the same experience as this guy:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/5153-model.166590/

Anyone want heavy tones and struggling give this a go. It’s too easy. The tweaking to awesome tone ratio is new to me and I like it.

Just wanted to tell someone :)

Edit: IRs are an important component to the sound of course. I am not sure how many times I can say this and still be considered healthy, but the Mesa Oversized V2 pack from Justin at @York Audio is the very best 4x12/V30 pack there is in my humble opinion. Mix 1 is a plug and play thing of beauty. His prices are insane for the value here. If jamming alone or with headphones, mix in some of the @York Audio Full Res IRs (left and right) that come standard in the Axe III for a nice effect.

Last edited:
I just discovered this amp in the last week (FM3) - I'm using it with the York Audio Bogner pack mix 01 with the Euro SIC - sounds great. Guitar is EB Silo with BKP triolgy suite (they are single coils but sound more like a PAF IMO)
I tend to lower the master volume from the default as it can get a mid sounding - bit of speaker drive and Speaker compression sounds great (can't wait for the new updates)

I was also recommend trying the Dizzy VH4 Silver 3 (same cab and SIC set up)

I also mess with the input EQ - and roll off the low end a bit

People don't really get this anymore but there is a reason why 90% of metal after 1991 has been recorded with 5150's. It just works. Everyone always creaming their pants over new high gain amps coming out every year, my question has always been, does the high gain sound of X head really sound better than a 5150. Imo that has never happened. You can get more versatile amps with far better clean sounds, but when it comes to pure high gain, that's the sound you hear on a million records. 5150, mesa cab with V30's, TS9/808. Tried and true formula.

Hey there

Your preset: "VidarAus JP2C Rig v5" still is one of my favorites to play through on the AFXIII. Your recommendations in this thread is more than welcome thnx.
Thnx for sharing 🤘

Cheers 🍻

It s eas
Over the years, I have spent almost all of my time with the Mesa models - particularly the Mark IV. For me, these models take a fair bit of mucking around to get the most out of them, but what a tone! I don’t think this is a problem with the models - the real world counterparts can be tricky too.

I recently got a Strandberg and for some reason it inspired me to play around with some other models.

I happened on the 5153 Blue 50w. Drive at 6. York Audio Mesa Oversized V2 Mix 1 (favourite IR), 80hz low cut in cab block. Recto large impedance curve. Maxon 808 tube screamer model in front with drive at zero and level at 7. Gain enhancer at 1 as play at low volume. I may have raised input low cut to 200hz, but can’t remember ( not with Axe right now). Everything else at stock.

Is it really this easy with this model? It is bloody wonderful. So rich and full, with an awesome chug with that perfect amount of pick attack. Real woody sort of overtones (don’t know how else to explain it).

Anyone else use it like this? Any tips for this model, as it seems too easy right out of the box!

Anyone want heavy tones and struggling give this a go. It’s too easy. The tweaking to awesome tone ratio is new to me and I like it.

It s easier with almost every amp that is not a mesa...

It s eas

It s easier with almost every amp that is not a mesa...
Hahaha yeah maybe that is where I have been going wrong all these years. It just feels wrong to have everything at noon, but I have read posts from Cliff talking about how amp designers use pot tapers so that good tones sit at the 12 o’clock position as people are afraid to turn knobs.

Hey there

Your preset: "VidarAus JP2C Rig v5" still is one of my favorites to play through on the AFXIII. Your recommendations in this thread is more than welcome thnx.
Thnx for sharing 🤘

Cheers 🍻
Thanks man I appreciate it. I prefer the Mark IV patch I made these days. Not sure if I shared it or not already.

Hahaha yeah maybe that is where I have been going wrong all these years. It just feels wrong to have everything at noon, but I have read posts from Cliff talking about how amp designers use pot tapers so that good tones sit at the 12 o’clock position as people are afraid to turn knobs.
I owned mesa boogie mark iii red stripe and i loved it.. But you have to know very well how controls interacts.. 5150, recent Marshalls, splawns, ecc can deliver same great sound with less brainstorming in my opinion..

I happened on the 5153 Blue 50w. Drive at 6. York Audio Mesa Oversized V2 Mix 1 (favourite IR), 80hz low cut in cab block. Recto large impedance curve. Maxon 808 tube screamer model in front with drive at zero and level at 7. Gain enhancer at 1 as play at low volume. I may have raised input low cut to 200hz and maybe lowered master to 3 or 4 and upped level to compensate volume, but can’t remember (not with Axe right now). Everything else at stock. Sounds like a lot when written out, but is actually nothing. And all other knobs at noon which feels strange but works!

Edit: IRs are an important component to the sound of course. I am not sure how many times I can say this and still be considered healthy, but the Mesa Oversized V2 pack from Justin at @York Audio is the very best 4x12/V30 pack there is in my humble opinion. Mix 1 is a plug and play thing of beauty. His prices are insane for the value here. If jamming alone or with headphones, mix in some of the @York Audio Full Res IRs (left and right) that come standard in the Axe III for a nice effect.

Thank you for the tips!

I've taken the liberty of using your preset "VidarAus JP2C Rig v5" to do these mods on Scene 4. Preset attached. Great super-tight rhythm!

I prefer the result with the cab "YA MES 412 TRAD Mix 09" rather than the "YA MES 412 OS Mix 01". It has more tight mids and less fizzy highs, but maybe it is a question of tweaking other parameters.

As it says at the description of the YA MES 412: "It's the tighter, more aggressive brother to the Mesa "Oversized" 4x12. It has more pick attack and forward mids that pair especially well with modern high gain amps"

Attachments

• VidarAus 5153 Mod.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 43
FAS Surprise! Replace the 5153 50W Blue with the FAS Modern III. They are quite similar, but the FAS has a different "metallic texture" at the balls

Same preset as above, with FAS amp on scene 3

Attachments

• VidarAus 5153 Mod2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 38
The 5153 50W Blue is my default amp, and would probably be in real analog form too. I prefer it through a Creamback M/H mix as I find that suits the character of the amp better than the V30 and the EVH/Greenback speakers are a little fuzzy for my taste.

I could never gel with the 5153 series. I just don't like the way they respond compared to the OG 5150/6505 head. But I've been playing those since the mid 90s so I'm more than a bit biased.

I’ll swap you presets. I got a FAS Modern I really love for this type tone.

Thanks, @VidarAus for the thread and tips.

This thread inspired me to dial in a 5153 Blue 50W preset of my own using the Maxoff drive. I really like it with the Petrucci V30 Mix IR and the Lynchback 57 OH IR... either one or blended/panned. I bumped the mids up just a bit to maybe 2:00-2:30 and Amp block Input EQ gain boost of about 2.5-3db. Low cut (slope 12) - 80 and high cut (slope 12) - ~7,777 in the cab block. The Recto 4x12 (straight) speaker impedance curve sounds really good to my ears.

This amp slays!

I've been playing with the new PVH 6160 Crunch model recently and it sounds fantastic as well. Add the new Klone Chiron drive and it instantly adds a nice clear boost for higher gain action. Give it a whirl, you won't be disappointed!
You were not kidding. The PVH 6160 BLOCK Crunch with Klone Chiron all at noon is really something else. It's like beating someone with a 40lbs sledge hammer, but you put a sock over it to soften the blow.

Back
Top Bottom