5153 RED channel.......weird

xemckidx

I'll start off by saying that I love the axe fx2 and especially V10. Before V10 I was falling in love with that 5153 RED channel but afterwords it sounds weird. this is kind of ridiculous to say, and may actually be a testament as to how good FAS has gotten at emulating true tube amps, but that amp sounds like it has a bad tube haha. There are a bunch of great sounding amps, and specifically I'm loving the Euro Uber in place of the 5153 RED. I just found it more amusing than anything that an all solid state tube amp emulator sounds like a great tube head with a tube going bad. Made me kind of giggle haha..

I'll start off by saying that I love the axe fx2 and especially V10. Before V10 I was falling in love with that 5153 RED channel but afterwords it sounds weird. this is kind of ridiculous to say, and may actually be a testament as to how good FAS has gotten at emulating true tube amps, but that amp sounds like it has a bad tube haha. There are a bunch of great sounding amps, and specifically I'm loving the Euro Uber in place of the 5153 RED. I just found it more amusing than anything that an all solid state tube amp emulator sounds like a great tube head with a tube going bad. Made me kind of giggle haha..

I don't like the 5153 Red in V10 either but keep in mind that now it's so close to the original that maybe you wouldn't like the original 5153's Red channel neither.

you might be right about that. i like the tone of the 5153 red in v9. of the 3 or so 5150 sims that one was best. i use a real 5150 signature on occasion and have plenty of experience with it over the years. the 5153 used to sound closest to my amp, now, not so much. its no complaint, i just found it kind of funny that it sounds just like a real 5150 when there is a preamp tube starting to go haha..

you might be right about that. i like the tone of the 5153 red in v9. of the 3 or so 5150 sims that one was best. i use a real 5150 signature on occasion and have plenty of experience with it over the years. the 5153 used to sound closest to my amp, now, not so much. its no complaint, i just found it kind of funny that it sounds just like a real 515o when there is a preamp tube starting to go haha..

I actually had a 5150 III some time ago and I found it very very oversaturated on the red channel. The 5150 is a lot more open and defined, the 5150 III can get quite mushy/muddy... :)

well that could be the issue. like i said, i loved it in v9. just not so much now. thats fine since there are others in here that work. what i find odd is that in real life I've only found the old 2 channel dual rectifiers and old 5150s did what i needed out of an amp. and IMHO neither sims in the axe sound like those heads so im forced to use other amp sims to recreate the sounds of those amps. in the end it doesnt matter what amp sim I'm using as the end result is whats important.

well that could be the issue. like i said, i loved it in v9. just not so much now. thats fine since there are others in here that work. what i find odd is that in real life I've only found the old 2 channel dual rectifiers and old 5150s did what i needed out of an amp. and IMHO neither sims in the axe sound like those heads so im forced to use other amp sims to recreate the sounds of those amps. in the end it doesnt matter what amp sim I'm using as the end result is whats important.

Well, even in real life, two models of the same head might actually sound quite different depending on what series it is from, depending on the tubes, even more on the cab, etc. Just like the 1987x vs. the 50w Plexi in the Axe - they are not even close to each other imo.
Also, I don't know what you're monitoring through, but FRFR will simply never sound like the good old guitar cab. It might still sound good, but not the same.

I know you said other amp models sound fine, and you may have already tried this, but in case you haven't: try a system reset. It's in the utility menu.

im playing through a matrix gt1000fx and an almighty 4x12 with celestion g12-k100s. same as i run my normal tubes through. great tones from all the heads, real and sims.

I love 5153 red on v10, it's my favourite. The main issue is that its default depth is set to 6, put it to zero to compare it to the other 5150 models and you'll see

Strange, I really like this amp model, my tips to get it sounding good are

Roll back the Bass (3-4)
Roll back the Treble (4-5)
Raise the Presence (5-7)
Keep mast low (3-4)
Raise the mids (6-7)

Works nice a lead tone for me.

Spence

I know you said other amp models sound fine, and you may have already tried this, but in case you haven't: try a system reset. It's in the utility menu.

I was wondering about this, as the issue of system resets seems to come up in different threads. Are there any indications that a system reset will do anything with the sound, unless you have messed with stuff like global amp gain, master eq etc? I've been struggling with v10 myself, and I'm in the middle of a (promising, if I can allow myself to be carefully optimistic) rebuild of my patches, suggesting that simply upgrading and resetting the amp might not be enough in all cases, so I'm curious whether or not I should go through the hassle of resetting everything.

Last edited:
System reset and/or reload firmware. Some forumites has reloaded the firmware 3 times... then suddenly... NIRVANA!!!!

Back
Top Bottom