5153 Impressions

For the high-gain sound I use, the EVH 5150 III red channel model is incredible. I mostly used FAS Modern, FAS 6160, and occasionally the red channel rectifier, but with less tweaking and without boosts or EQs, the latest 5150 additions blown them away. It's the best addition the Axe FX II has had since I've owned it, at least for my play style and sound. I have been wanting a 5150 III lately, and the model has actually made me want the amplifier even more, funny enough.

got my axe back from repair yesterday and of course i hat to install 6.01 immediately and try the 5153.

i haven't palyed the original but i think the model sounds very weird, weak and kind of scratchy,
it's also so much lover volume than the other models, same settings used of course...

maybe i have to crak it up a bit!?

So, I've spent plenty of time with the original 5150, but I've never really played the 5150 III.

How does the 5150 III's Red channel differ from the original 5150 amp model?

Anyone having "Y" AMP issues with the 5153......like its dead quiet ?
Yes, I am. It's because a bunch of settings are out of whack from defaults. If you initialize the block, it seems to correct the level issue at least.

I'm finding this sim to be pretty idiot-proof. Like it or not, its been easy to dial in (I quite like it).
I have the same experience with the 6160.
For me, this is a very worthwhile addition.

I'm finding this sim to be pretty idiot-proof. Like it or not, its been easy to dial in (I quite like it).
I have the same experience with the 6160.
For me, this is a very worthwhile addition.

prob I'm having right now is choosing between them...
I love them both... lmao...

I checked the 5153 Blue yesterday at rehearsal. Axe 2 - Out 1 - to FOH (inEar for Drummer) Out 2 Matrix 800 - 4x12 Laney CAB V30. F**KING AMAZING. Cleans up so sweet on VH Ain´t talking ´bout love. Pretty idiot-proof. It´s so damn important to have fresh stings on the guitar.
Thank you FAS

I spent some time tonight noodling around over some CDs with the Green channel. I was really happy with how well it fit into the mixes.

Ive spent a bit of time lately on the red channel and I have to say that it captures the feel of the real amp very well. but the tone is quite a way off. I have the real amp at home and after tone matching they are very close, but this is a little disappointing as I was under the impression that all axefx 'amps' had been factory tone matched. The model seriously lacks a lot of the bottom end grunt of the real amp.
Yes, it can be dialled in but thats not the point. We are told the amps are tone matched in the box whereas in this case there is a big difference. I wonder how much difference there is on other amps.
Im using a matrix power amp and evh 5153 cab so no IRs are involved, therefore there is no way to 'blame' IR choice for the differences here.

Ive spent a bit of time lately on the red channel and I have to say that it captures the feel of the real amp very well. but the tone is quite a way off. I have the real amp at home and after tone matching they are very close, but this is a little disappointing as I was under the impression that all axefx 'amps' had been factory tone matched. The model seriously lacks a lot of the bottom end grunt of the real amp.
Yes, it can be dialled in but thats not the point. We are told the amps are tone matched in the box whereas in this case there is a big difference. I wonder how much difference there is on other amps.
Im using a matrix power amp and evh 5153 cab so no IRs are involved, therefore there is no way to 'blame' IR choice for the differences here.

interesting... would like to hear Cliff on this one, additionally maybe you can give us some tone matching presets and examples?

Been getting these feelings too, very odd. Any thoughts Cliff? Can't be just the difference on an amp to amp basis surely. Im thinking Cliffs tone match is at a different stage.

How on earth do I attach the file?
Axeedit is a 'mare for exporting files and I can't find an easy way to attach the say file to this post.

It's easy to export a file with AE.

Connect AE to Axe-Fx.
Choose Axe-Fx as source.
Select a preset on the Axe through AE (in the the 01 - 02 -03 drop down box select a preset).
In the Save As select Export to Preset File.

Here on the forum:
click Go Advanced (in the Reply window).
Goto Manage Attachments.
Selerct and upload the preset.

View attachment Andys 5153 Tonematch (2).syx

Phew, that should do it lol.
Please bear in mind this isn't a contest of how good a patch it is, but switching the tone match on and off will give you an idea what Im talking about.
The tone knobs on axefx are set as were the tone knobs on the amp.
The tone matched sound isn't identical to the amp, but a lot closer than the non tone matched tone.

EDIT:- Bring the TM block level down to about -2.5db to level out the volumes between the tone matched and non tone matched sounds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom