5153 - blue 50w. Help !!

So I keep seeing guys using this amp and its sounds sweet but when I try it sounds like garbage !! Can anyone give me any tips ? Im a newbie to the ax. Im using a bare knuckle ragnarok tuned to c#. Cheers !

Could you give some more info? What are you listening to Axe-FX III with? (power amp + cab, FRFR speaker, headphones, etc.) What are the specifics involved in sounding like garbage? (EQ, ADSR, latency, fidelity, etc.)

Im playing through a pair of yamaha hs8's. I just want a tight metal rythmn tone. Even if I have the gain almost all the way down all im getting is a very harsh and flubby tone.

Im playing through a pair of yamaha hs8's. I just want a tight metal rythmn tone. Even if I have the gain almost all the way down all im getting is a very harsh and flubby tone.

Reset the amp block
Turn down the depth
Turn on the input boost
In the pre eq drop your low freq to 110
Set low cuts in cab block to 80 Hz
And 10000
Turn on the tight switch
Use a multi band compressor
From Leon Todd’s MBC tight
Patch on AXECHANGE

One or two of those things should do it

It seems like the real amp is also harsh and fizzy

"Have had my 5153 50watt for 2 years now and have been fighting with it ever since it is a very bright and fizzy amp.So last week bought a Randall Lynchbox lb50c just to mess around with and put a majik box rocket fuel and tc spark booster in front of the dirty channel and wow!!! Puts the 5153 to shame it's sounds very friedman brown eye tone.On a side note i have tried many different speakers in the evh 2x12 but nothing sounds better than what it comes with which is not that great"

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/evh-5150-iii-midrange-my-experience.1441721/

Try tweaking the Output EQ inside the AMP block, use an external EQ, try different CABs, or try a non-harsh amp.

You mentioned the Yamaha HS8 only (desktop monitors). Good tip when posting for assistance is to also post a screenshot or upload the patch as necessary. This can give others a clear picture of what you are doing.

You also need to have a CAB block in your setup. If using a power amp, is it a tube amp or a solid state power amp? Cab modeling and power amp modeling settings are choices and need to be set accordingly.

If using just the HS8's to monitor you need to have the amp block and a cab block with cab modeling turned on.

Hope that helps

I've still got a 5153 mini 50 watt real head. Also had the 100 watt version for a while. Other than the be-100 it's the best real amp tone I've had over many other amps. While it does have a bit of fizz on the top end I liked the way it cut. If you don't like the fizz try reducing the bright cap value or turn it off

Yeah thanks for the tips guys. I think it may just be that im not enjoying the Ragnarok.. when I play with my Fender Blackmore sig, it sounds wicked!

I would consider trying the 100watt blue if the 50 isn’t doing what you want/ I feel like the 100watt feels more meaty. I also like to turn the bass slightly down but then raise the depth control to get the meat back in.

Try this with your rig; adjust the middle and treble to suit your pickups and tweak the gain to taste, but it should meet the requirements for a tight modern metal sound.

Attachments

• LT Tight 5153.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 58
Ragnarok is great. Try the Red model instead of Blue, for tight metal.

Eddie plays the Blue channel with the gain on 10 for his hard rock / classic heavy metal tone, you want more than that.

Use the Cut switch.

Back
Top Bottom