5150 Tone Match time!

themaidenmaniac

Experienced
Hey guys. Finally got my "power soak" in today so i have begun my first experiments of tone matching my real 5150 with the modelled one. Funny though, I avoided using any soak completely and just used it as a safe line out in the end (mainly in fear of any tone suck).
Some interesting differences have certainly come out of this for me, and there will be more to come as well.

I spent the whole day on it, testing out various different techniques. The patches so far have come out great, adding much more of a mid range focus, smoothing out the whole picture and getting rid of some of those aggressive modeller highs. Its a definite improvement, but im not finished yet.

Now, my favourite file here so far unfortunately is the ozone match (file 3) which actually took place after the speaker, which was not the intention of this test. I think this is for one of two reasons- i either prefer the ozones tone match accuracy, or I dont like the outcome of the synth match. It could be the synth match actually, maybe its not quite so natural somehow. (it left something in the mids i didnt like- there is always a chance I couldve screwed it up too)

Raw amp (sorry for the background noise on this file, but I dont have the mod done to reduce this)

Raw axe fx 2 ( a bit fizzy no?)

Ozone Match after speaker. (not an actual amp match per say) Its really damn smooth.

Actual amp match using synth block.

In conclusion, my aim is to get the amp match nailed as nice as the ozone clip, but im still really digging the amp match anyway :D. There will be presets to share very soon :)

Last edited:
Ozone match sounds pretty dead on! Somehow the background noise is also gone. Why do you call it an Ozone match? I haven't messed with the tone match function yet.

Ozone match sounds pretty dead on! Somehow the background noise is also gone. Why do you call it an Ozone match? I haven't messed with the tone match function yet.

he's using a plugin called Ozone to do the tone matching not the axe fx.

Those don't sound close at all. Did you shoot an IR of the cabinet?

Explain exactly what you did and we'll try to figure out what went wrong.

If you shoot an IR of the cab you shouldn't even need to do a tone match. The 5150 is already matched.

Those don't sound close at all. Did you shoot an IR of the cabinet?

Out and about at the moment, but clips 1 and 3 ended up pretty dead on. (They were matched on ozone at the end of the chain). I have more to do though, the match with the actual amp hasn't ended up right- I have possibly screwed something up slightly here, but hey first attempt and all :D

Check out my tutorial, posted on G66 with Amp-Match template ... (scroll down to the end and find the download links for the english written tutorial with step-by-step guide incl. screenshots from the axe ... and the template to download) .... check it out ;)

G66 - MARKUS HOHMANN

I get absolute accurate results! The technique in the axe-II is dead on what Ozone can do for you. I have experience with both and the tonematch-block is THAT easier and faster to use - all in the box!

My experience and my results say: you can match at least 99%. And the left 1% is the noise from the original ... ;) I am VERY satisfied with the axe-II!

Just back from an out of town bender (stag party at the sea side!). Cant wait to have another go at this. Markus, I was working loosely with your thread actually - that koch emulation sounds amazing. Will have some new stuff up by tomorrow night for sure. Thanks for your post too Cliff

Last edited:
Perhaps we can learn from ech other: you`ll try "clone" your real deal step-by-step with the tutorial (which exactly based on the the koch emulation!) and you give some feedback where the tutorial does not work for you or it forced misunderstandings .... ;-)

Hope you get it, like you want it! The Axe can do it! I am sure! No - i know it! ;-)

The now existing tutorial WITH the correspondending Amp-Match-Template ... is the quintessence of all previous tutorials, the thread and my own experiences with the Axe II ....

Sorted guys- totally knackered the other day and had done a bunch of horrific things, funniest of which was leaving a limiter on the master bus whilst i was doing the profiling... :eek:ops DOH!

This is sounding absolutely fantastic now, and I could not be happier. I will be letting my particular breed of 5150 rip across a live gig very soon, where its no doubt going to sound even more crazy with a live poweramp and cabinet smashing things out. Will be changing to an FRFR setup too which I cant wait for... the sound of my particular 5150 in a little black box? Total Madness!

5150 may be leaving for a new home soon it seems. It's not like its new to her though, I have been threatening in a while :)

Sorry about the clipping if there is a touch- havent got time just now to nip back to change things unfortunately.

AMP:

AXE FX II:

P.S

Would update the #1 post, but for some reason i've lost the ability to edit it. Patch will be online in the preset section.

Last edited:
Ta Cliff. One final thing I might do is try again via the synth block, as this was done as a "playing" match. This is plenty enough to get me excited for the time being though!

See my sticky post about amp matching. Instead of running the mic pre into Input 2, run the line out of the power soak into Input 2. Bypass the cab block in the grid. I'm guessing this is already what you are doing.

Now, instead of playing, turn on the Synth block and use the pink noise to obtain the match. Be sure to capture the reference and local simultaneously, i.e. press X and then Y, then wait 10 seconds or so and press Enter.

Pink noise will typically give a better match than playing but not always. When you play the interaction of the guitar with the speakers is captured as well which can sometimes give a better result.

See my sticky post about amp matching. Instead of running the mic pre into Input 2, run the line out of the power soak into Input 2. Bypass the cab block in the grid. I'm guessing this is already what you are doing.

Now, instead of playing, turn on the Synth block and use the pink noise to obtain the match. Be sure to capture the reference and local simultaneously, i.e. press X and then Y, then wait 10 seconds or so and press Enter.

Pink noise will typically give a better match than playing but not always. When you play the interaction of the guitar with the speakers is captured as well which can sometimes give a better result.

So pink noise is better suited that using sine?

Back
Top Bottom