5150 sim in finished mix

Artean

Inspired
Hiya,

I've posted some earlier mixes of these songs and hope I don't come across as too tedious...

Anyhow, the songs and mixes are finally finished. Have a listen here:

Waning | Facebook

The guitars were recorded with an Axe FX miced through a Randall cab (with v30's) and miced with a sm57. Even though we are not all that happy with the result (first time ever micing a cab), we will continue to learn and try to improve our micing skills.

It's not that bad. I like the songs and arrangements - especially on "Beneath a Septic Sun". I think you guys have some issues with the mixes though - vocals are too low and it sounds overly compressed. I think you should have gone direct with the guitars as that cab mic combo does not work. Ask for help on this forum there's so many talented people here that I'm sure you can get any help you want. Anyways, overall, I like it and think you guys are talented so keep at it! -Mike

Still spotted a few "notes" in there that aren't *quite* as loud as every other note ;)
That's what saved my ears. Only just...

We are certainly aware that it is far from perfect. Thanks for your comments so far, I'll keep them in mind for the future!

im a devout metal head but that truly does sound well, like noise. sorry. I just dont see it. Maybe I just dont like ?grind core

Even Metal heads sometimes don't understand Black Metal. To me it sounds really good. It has that rough edges sound that Black Metal often has. I enjoyed it, KEEP IT BRUTAL!

I like it.
It makes me think of some kind of gothenburg metal.
Well, after checking the other pages on facebook, i can see you guys are from Gothenburg! :mrgreen

jeez, guys...

sometimes I think self-proclaimed metalheads are the worst.

I like it Artean. A lot. It has character and that is the most important thing. Polished sounds/mix you can basically buy, but having a unique voice it's what's all about.

I enjoyed the quite middle part and was shocked (not in a good way) that it didn't go back into the fist in face riff from the beginning. the solo parts after the middle didn't work for me.
too predictable, too 'band puts together a song in the rehearsal space'

I did a little quick and dirty edit of how I might structure the song.
Yes, now it has an intro (I usually hate those and get rid of them) but yours works well and when the main riff comes in BAM! - I like.
Also the instrumental riff between the sung verses is, excuse me 'meh'.

I'm sure you guys can do better then that. or leave it out.
or play a shortened version like I tried to edit and then go back to the verse. A unbalanced 5/4 version or similar might be cool, too.

anyway, sorry for chopping up your song ;) don't take the critizism uttered here too badly, I personally like your tone better than many, many always the same sounds I come across.

p.s.
I assume the drums are a plugin.
I don't care for the 80's metal snare. too much body, too deep. I'd like to hear a more aggressive snare with more noise and less tonality, if you know what I mean.
(I usually mouth the sounds to describe what I mean, but that doesn't work too well here) ;)

Last edited:
black metal? yes I cant stand the screetchy voiced stuff. though I love black metal vegan chef.

Thanks all for your comments. We used to be much more black metal sounding, where we now try to incorporate more elements into our songs.

DonPetersen: Many thanks for your suggestion. That is criticism over the web at its very best!

I actually really like the mix generally speaking. At least it has character.

If we all compiled to the 'textbook' ideals, especially when it comes to mixing metal, we would all sound equally as dull and familiar. It has some classic black metal nuances, which some people here may not 'get' - being a community spoiled with all the higher-end mixing / mastering gear and everything.....

Good work.

Well done DonPetersen.
I do prefer the original structure though. It's not that conventional but that's what bring the special atmosphere IMO.

Well done DonPetersen.
I do prefer the original structure though. It's not that conventional but that's what bring the special atmosphere IMO.

I do find it too conventional :lol
sounds to me like it was built part by part without seeing the whole song.

pretty much all of the stuff I write and record doesn't end up in the finished product in the order it was done.
I'm the master of re-writes ;)

when I still had my band, I'd record the rehearsals with a Zoom H2, chop up the different sections on the computer and open them in Ableton live, so I could play the parts intuitively - lots of fun.

Back
Top Bottom