5150 Rhythm Crunch Channel

The footprint of the Crunch Channel always felt Plexi-Marshall inspired with its ability to be dynamic and cleanup.

Okay, I tried again based on this read of it, and I found that I was able to get closer to this kind of response using just...brighter IRs! So simple.

I was struggling at first with the 5150 crunch straight in, because I was stuck mentally with the way I would play a real one, with the master volume pretty low. I'm realizing now that, to get the kind of great hotrodded Plexi feel with this thing, I need to crank the master volume to about 7, and it really starts singing. My problem was also relating it too much to the lead channel, which sounds best to me with the MV around 3.5. I'm using Input Gain at 0. Anyway, just in case anyone else has the same asinine struggle I was going through, just try cranking it!

I posted this in the FW 20.04 thread, but for anyone who gives a shit following this thread and not the other, you might be able to use this:

One thing that's always bothered me about the Block Letter 5150 (and I felt this way about the real one too) is that I could never get a neck tone I really liked with it, compared to the awesome bridge tones. I was playing around with that just now, and I found that if you take the new 5150 Rhythm Crunch Channel (the PVH 6160 Block Crunch model) and put the Butler Tube Driver 3-Knob version (the Tube Drive 3-knob model) in front of it, you can absolutely get those great 5150 bridge tones, but with an insanely better neck.

That was the weird thing about trying it now, since I'm cleaning up all the time; whenever I tried to clean up, it just sounded like a weaker thick syrup that didn't say anything, but maybe I need to try it with some other cabs, like even a greenback or something. I kept pairing it with Boogie cabs with my experiments. When I would play through the real thing at either friend's place, I never tried to clean up haha. That was the last thing on my mind back then.

Yup. I was a 10 on 10 on 10 guy, too. :)

I was lucky enough to still own that 5150 when I discovered subtlety.

Back
Top Bottom