5150 III 50W vs Kemper vs FM3

I had a little time tonight so I made a recording of the FM3 through a Matrix GT1600FX into the Captor and also made a Profile of that. Compared them to a direct recording of the FM3. Same IR as the other recordings. Damned if I can tell a difference between any of them.

I recently checked out an EVH 5153 50w EL34. It sounded really good and I was tempted. Instead of buying that I came home and ran my FM3 into my Invective’s FX loop. I literally laughed out loud because the FM3 setup (with the EVH models) sounded at least as good as, maybe better than, the real amp did. And then I tried some more amp models I’d never tried before. Not only that, but through the FX loop, the feel was the same too (honestly the FM3’s feel is on point even through my monitors). It’s PHENOMENAL.

So I’m again wondering when folks will stop asking if a modeler sounds exactly like the modeled amp and instead ask: regardless of whether it sounds the same, does it sound as good? For me, the answer is a clear YES.

(And having owned a few amps to compare, I’d say the Fractal gear is VERY damned accurate.)

I had a little time tonight so I made a recording of the FM3 through a Matrix GT1600FX into the Captor and also made a Profile of that. Compared them to a direct recording of the FM3. Same IR as the other recordings. Damned if I can tell a difference between any of them.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is your final conclusions on all of these experiments?

So I’m again wondering when folks will stop asking if a modeler sounds exactly like the modeled amp and instead ask: regardless of whether it sounds the same, does it sound as good? For me, the answer is a clear YES.

You also forgot Feels like! That's the other aspect of the Ares F.W. that really stands out. ;)

The underlying debate in this reminds me that to win a race you do many things, different things for different teams, based on the strengths and weaknesses of the car you drive.
An old Porsche can easily beat a newer more powerful car if the driver makes use of the excellent braking and suspension etc etc He can ofter brake later going into the turn and get on the throttle sooner coming out of it. He also can lose miserably if he doesn't make allowances for the unusual balance of the rear engine weight distribution. The way you get to the finish line is not, by itself, the way a win is counted...it is getting to the line when you wanted to. Getting there first in the case of a race.

In getting a sound you like best from a musical device, how you get there is interesting, as the way you run a race is....manna for geeks to marvel at and debate endlessly. But ultimately the desired result is only a win if you like the sound you get and someone who says your win is no good because you ran the race in a way they don't prefer to run is just making noise.

I wonder if the Captors 'unrealistic' curve is really such a bad thing if by making the curve the way it is TwoNotes enables the end result of their cab simulation product to deliver a sound you like best.

Is Kemper making a sound you love the best not enough because they leaned harder on Eq than Fractal?

For me, if the feel isn't off then the sound I like is the only thing that matters. I don't find the feel or sound to suffer using any of the top choices so I use which ever offers a convenience or cost benefit and don't care who thinks they are winning the 'race'.

My FM3 arrives today but it isn't going to diminish the way I enjoy the other devices I use no matter how good it is. They will do what they do the same way they did before the FM3 arrived.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom