5150 build.

Not only do I have the auction photos saved, I get to take credit as being the guy that got the most detailed shots of the CAR Strat available on the internet!

I know the early Fullerton reissue’s weren’t spec’d out to proper ‘57 specs but I’m not paying the prices people are asking for those ‘83-‘84 RI’s. Someone was selling a neck made in the same batch as Gilmour’s Black Strat neck (which came from the cream 57 Reissue he used in the 80’s) for something stupid like $13K.

The small details I’m not overly concerned about, the small contour/headstock differences…..not sure it’ll be worth the hassle or provide me with that much more happiness if they were dead on. My biggest concern is ending up with a sticky nitro neck, because I LOVE nitro, but I HATE the sticky ones. I’m considering buying the body neck on my own that having MJT apply the initial finish…but I might want to do the relic’ing myself.

Major importance-
Correct woods used
Correct CAR color
Correct neck tint
As close to the wear of the actual CAR Strat as possible

The small contour stuff I don’t think will bother me too much.

I’m also curious where he kept the battery for the EMG’s….I’m guessing in the backplate, but there definitely was no battery box routed on the guitar and I wouldn’t think they’d deal with mounting it under the guard, but could be wrong.

Dude!! Look how worn that middle pickup is on the end...crazy!

I would consider putting the battery in the same place as the Eric Clapton model.
I would use a UK Guitar build 50s body and a Muskraft neck.
This body would work great; sc-body-836449
Just keep an eye on the shop in stock section. These are the most accurate strat bodies you can buy, They do 50's 60's 70's and modern with all the nuances. No good for necks though. Musikraft is your best bet.

It was very painful to put that string guide on wonky.
IMG_1716.jpg
In a test assembly with strings it was now apparent that the pickup needs to be 2mm lower in the body. The only way of doing this is rout the pickup cavity 2mm deeper and repaint in the bottom. PITA.
But I'm not going to f it up for such a small (relative to doing the rest) issue.
So here goes;
IMG_1718.jpg
Now primer and red.

Now trem claw and wiring.
FullSizeRender.jpg
The earth on 5150 is 5 amp yellow electrical cable but I don't have any. I do however have some yellow heat shrink and some similar wire so that gets the look. I will use vintage screened cable to the jack so no screening is needed like the original.
The pot is a very low friction CTS Emerson branded 500KA.
FullSizeRender.jpg
Notice that the rout is slightly different in the Musikraft body. When the trem is flat on the guitar top the block is not against the front of the rout as it is on the original. This makes no real difference and allows the trem to sit better against the knife edges without the potential to interfere with the motion.

IMG_1719.jpeg
For now the Guitar is set up with one neck shim and the trem spring plate on because if I set it up without the plate I will need to grind a bevel on the underside of the Floyd baseplate in order to stop it crashing in to the wood. The Originals APM FRT5 is slightly different in this area and does not require a mod to work in this configuration. I will play it like this for a while and let it settle.
In the meantime the guitar is pretty much as 5150 was when first finished, no stickers and no wear.
So for now it's "Party like it's 1984."

It seems to be pretty stable and everything is in the right spot with one shim. This also allows the trem to miss fowling on the body whilst sitting flat on the back. I am also going to put conventional strap buttons on until I can find the right looking strap that Ed used in the 80s . Then I will fit O hooks and Ed's dog lead strap fittings. On the subject of the relic job I am undecided whether to leave it new without stickers. I may well relic it a bit when it gets a few marks of it's own. Here's a couple more pics.
IMG_1727.jpeg
IMG_1728.jpeg

Next project is a 61 Fiesta Red Strat exact in every detail but with a 16" radius and SS57110 frets.
Watch this Space.

It seems to be pretty stable and everything is in the right spot with one shim. This also allows the trem to miss fowling on the body whilst sitting flat on the back. I am also going to put conventional strap buttons on until I can find the right looking strap that Ed used in the 80s . Then I will fit O hooks and Ed's dog lead strap fittings. On the subject of the relic job I am undecided whether to leave it new without stickers. I may well relic it a bit when it gets a few marks of it's own. Here's a couple more pics.
View attachment 85959
View attachment 85960

Next project is a 61 Fiesta Red Strat exact in every detail but with a 16" radius and SS57110 frets.
Watch this Space.
Beautiful Andy.

This was a really fun build to watch, the final (for now) result is beautiful. That Kamikaze is sick also!

Thanks for showing, and for sharing the knowledge you do Andy!

Damn, I just looked back at your start date..., didn't take you long at all. I'd love to play that guitar, haha! Nice work. Now where's the star? ;) (I know you said you might not put it on...)

Damn, I just looked back at your start date..., didn't take you long at all. I'd love to play that guitar, haha! Nice work. Now where's the star? ;) (I know you said you might not put it on...)
I will revisit it in a month or two because if I relic it even a bit the space tape goes on. I really not decided, I always thought that I would need to relic it to look right but now I don't know and if it stays new it can't have the stickers. what to do??

Back
Top Bottom