5150 build.

AMP didn't make the FRT5 it was Hanson Metalworks. I have communicated with Mike.
The bar is the original one;
View attachment 115400
This in long after retirement and has the three Schaller saddles.
Ed never used a 1996 it was the original 1988 and he had nothing to do with the design at all.
Here is a pic of 5150 basically new with the same bar.
View attachment 115401
Did Hanson metalworks later become APM or get bought out by APM? Thought I read that somewhere maybe. And yeah that picture definitely confirms the bad hasn't been changed.

edit: I was mostly wrong but apparently it was APM that made the saddles and baseplate or something (according to this sight: https://vintagefloydrose.com/frt-5/ )

Last edited:
Did Hanson metalworks later become APM or get bought out by APM? Thought I read that somewhere maybe. And yeah that picture definitely confirms the bad hasn't been changed.

edit: I was mostly wrong but apparently it was APM that made the saddles and baseplate or something (according to this sight: https://vintagefloydrose.com/frt-5/ )
AMP had nothing to do with Hanson and had no part in this version of the FRT5.
Until recently it was thought that AMP built the 200 (or so we believed ) FRT5s. BUT someone actually asked Gary and he said he had no part. Then we went about asking people around at the time and found Mike (Hanson) who actually built the 800 stop gap trems for Kramer. Mike still had some of the drawings.

AMP had nothing to do with Hanson and had no part in this version of the FRT5.
Until recently it was thought that AMP built the 200 (or so we believed ) FRT5s. BUT someone actually asked Gary and he said he had no part. Then we went about asking people around at the time and found Mike (Hanson) who actually built the 800 stop gap trems for Kramer. Mike still had some of the drawings.
Very cool history indeed.

What’s the difference between the 1996 and 1988 Gotohs?
The 1988 has a symmetrical baseplate and the intonation bolt is off centre so it is far easier to adjust with a string on. It also has a different trem arm mech. The 1996 was a revision to bring it in to being a direct replacement with an original Floyd but it didn't quite manage it. The string lock bolts were too long on the original for most OFR recess routs and the studs are a different size to this day. Gotoh did a minor revision when they switched to the etched logo and reduced the bolt length to the same as the OFR. Now if you want to retrofit a 1996 even in to a recessed rout as long as you keep the OFR studs it is a direct swap. The locknut remains slightly different in the placement of the bolts. The Gotoh is a fraction off centre for some reason which is a great pity because it is a far better built nut than OFR and I have never had issues with any.
Unknown.jpegimages.jpeg
The ( gold in this pic )1988 has visibly offset intonation bolts and more baseplate on the side with the name than the ( chrome here ) 1996. The arm mech is now the Wilkinson VS100 Gotoh version one as seen in the 1996 above.

I have a 1996 trem and it drops right in on a Floyd route. I remember those offset saddle screws. Shame they changed it. It has the Wilkinson screw in arm in which I don’t care for. I’ve never used a Gotoh locknut so I wasn’t aware there were any differences. Thanks for the info. Ed’s Music Man used the 1988? I seem to remember having an earlier Gotoh with a different arm mechanism but can’t remember if it screwed in or popped in like an Ibanez.

I have a 1996 trem and it drops right in on a Floyd route. I remember those offset saddle screws. Shame they changed it. It has the Wilkinson screw in arm in which I don’t care for. I’ve never used a Gotoh locknut so I wasn’t aware there were any differences. Thanks for the info. Ed’s Music Man used the 1988? I seem to remember having an earlier Gotoh with a different arm mechanism but can’t remember if it screwed in or popped in like an Ibanez.
Ed's was a stock 1988 with an arm that was bolted in from the back . Ed like the bar to be loose with a lot of play but this didn't really have much. I played one of Eds stage backup MM1 and this was how it was set up. The Gotoh lock nut looks identical but it is not quite a direct retrofit.

I really enjoyed reading all 33 pages and the dedication you had to start over several times! Thank you for sharing.

I do hope we'll get some more information on forensical examination of the body wood and if it was actually true, it was funny how I finally felt that we got somewhere with that only to go back to not knowing for sure after all these years.

When I did my Kramer The 84 tribute I found myself going stripe blind, especially since I had to improvise a little as the body shapes are actually somewhat different, and like you I completely missed the obvious black stripe, which made me laugh. With an overlay it would undoubtedly be easier and better but I didn't have that option available to me.

Like you I'm in the UK and actually settled on GMC Torch Red (71 9075 Wa9075) in aerosol can. It's a slightly different shade but it looks somewhere between 5150 and 918V in the Amsterdam Hard Rock Cafe which seems to have quite a different colour, almost a light cherry. I like it, of course mine is a tribute and not a replica.

One question I have is that it looks like you aged the fine tuners from black to showing some brass, but it looks like the original Hansen rush production of the FRT-5 had completely brass tuners from the get go. As some of the 1984 reproduction ones come with just the brass, not black fine tuners that over the years worn off to show the brass I just wondered why the decision.

Looking at early on pictures of 5150 where there was very little body wear, the brass tuners are bright and not black.

I look forward to hearing your reply.

I agree that the original fine tuners were probably unfinished brass but my old Schaller looked close enough as is. I have seen a few Hanson original floyds and they were all black fine tuners. Mine is probably as similar looking as it's going to get not being a Hanson unit .
On the subject of this guitar and my involvement with the Facebook group I have been set unpublished photos that I can't share that I wish I had when I did my last attempt that make me want another go also a contradictory account from a very credible source about the colour .This is from an employee at the time that says it was R&M brand acrylic lacquer in Corvette Mille Miglia Red 76/973 WA 4147. The R&M bit is definite and this colour look really close. It kind of make me wonder if Ed pointed at a Corvette or a Chevy and said that colour . I don't think we will ever know for sure. As for the pictures showing the wood, contradictions but way more likely basswood than swamp ash. I have been talking to Chris at Locke Custom Guitars about working with me for another go but it would need to be considerably better than my last one. Thanks for your interest . Now I need to find a 40 year old can of Mille Miglia R&M.:tearsofjoy:

I agree that the original fine tuners were probably unfinished brass but my old Schaller looked close enough as is. I have seen a few Hanson original floyds and they were all black fine tuners. Mine is probably as similar looking as it's going to get not being a Hanson unit .
On the subject of this guitar and my involvement with the Facebook group I have been set unpublished photos that I can't share that I wish I had when I did my last attempt that make me want another go also a contradictory account from a very credible source about the colour .This is from an employee at the time that says it was R&M brand acrylic lacquer in Corvette Mille Miglia Red 76/973 WA 4147. The R&M bit is definite and this colour look really close. It kind of make me wonder if Ed pointed at a Corvette or a Chevy and said that colour . I don't think we will ever know for sure. As for the pictures showing the wood, contradictions but way more likely basswood than swamp ash. I have been talking to Chris at Locke Custom Guitars about working with me for another go but it would need to be considerably better than my last one. Thanks for your interest . Now I need to find a 40 year old can of Mille Miglia R&M.:tearsofjoy:

Haha, good luck with that!

Very interesting points you made and amazing how even now in 2023, pictures comes up that the general public have not seen. How exciting. And you're right, Eddie was of course into his cars so it's entirely possible, especially in his neighbourhood to see nice cars and paintjobs!

Ps. Was there ever a point where you seriously thought, I'm not going to relic it?

I was in two minds about it, but when I finished layering the red, I thought, MAN this looks so good, and even with the black, I strongly felt the need to tape it, rather than feathering the edges like Ed did in his "Eddie way". In the end I even clearcoated it as I was so pleased with the brand new look. I couldn't bring myself to start relicing it after that much work.

Regardless, for you to do the process several times, I'm surprised it hasn't caused a mental breakdown! :tearsofjoy:
And also to document it step by step takes a lot of dedication and disciple, it's much appreciated!!

Haha, good luck with that!

Very interesting points you made and amazing how even now in 2023, pictures comes up that the general public have not seen. How exciting. And you're right, Eddie was of course into his cars so it's entirely possible, especially in his neighbourhood to see nice cars and paintjobs!

Ps. Was there ever a point where you seriously thought, I'm not going to relic it?

I was in two minds about it, but when I finished layering the red, I thought, MAN this looks so good, and even with the black, I strongly felt the need to tape it, rather than feathering the edges like Ed did in his "Eddie way". In the end I even clearcoated it as I was so pleased with the brand new look. I couldn't bring myself to start relicing it after that much work.

Regardless, for you to do the process several times, I'm surprised it hasn't caused a mental breakdown! :tearsofjoy:
And also to document it step by step takes a lot of dedication and disciple, it's much appreciated!!
I did both but my NOS is a bit toward a Wolfgang speck .
EE7B4007-0FB6-470E-9B2C-DD0302E37317.jpeg
And by that I mean 16"radius and stainless steel smaller frets 6105 size .

I have an EVH branded Floyd that I may try on the NOS instead of the German one because Ed said he preferred the tone. This is possible because he was used to the Gotoh 1988 and the Hanson which both had a bent steel baseplate. This is a slightly more vintage Fender sound acoustically. Most of the QC issues the 1000 and EVH (same trem) hade in the first place have been addressed in the newer versions. The saddles are now much harder and even the arm mech is nearly useable. My NOS is basically what I think Ed would play if he had continued with a 5150 style guitar to the end of his career.

You might've seen this Andy, but I just watcheed it and immediately thought of you:

Thanks Frankie is an interesting one too. I have a customer with two of the 2009 limited master built replicas. I wish they would do 5150 because it would probably result in some new and much better pictures and maybe a definitive answer to the body wood.

Thanks Frankie is an interesting one too. I have a customer with two of the 2009 limited master built replicas. I wish they would do 5150 because it would probably result in some new and much better pictures and maybe a definitive answer to the body wood.
I think the 5150 replica is already in the queue, just a matter of time to be honest, based on recent interviews with the Wolfgang and Bruck. By the same token though, the 5150 was kinda a prop guitar. He played it live, it sounded amazing, but to be real, any guitar in his hands through his rig would sound that way. The 5150 guitar didn't define Ed or his sound. He could've put a EVH pickup in a large cube of ash wood and it still would've sounded amazing.

I think the 5150 replica is already in the queue, just a matter of time to be honest, based on recent interviews with the Wolfgang and Bruck. By the same token though, the 5150 was kinda a prop guitar. He played it live, it sounded amazing, but to be real, any guitar in his hands through his rig would sound that way. The 5150 guitar didn't define Ed or his sound. He could've put a EVH pickup in a large cube of ash wood and it still would've sounded amazing.
5150 has a great acoustic tone and played pretty well . It is doubtful that it was ash but we will have to see. Ed did make anything sound like him but this was one or his absolute favourites and he still played it after it was retired. As far as I know it is in line for a replica but there are some complications Gibson own the head shape and name.

Yes I will tell you but before I will try and explain why it has never been simple to trust the available information.
Ed in the early days didn't want people to know what he used or even who made it. He would often lie about gear to throw people off knowing .
He also prevented builders from making replicas of the things they supplied to him or even confirming what they did.
Seymour Duncan made a few custom wound pickups for him and these are all still available . The EVH the Frankie the custom and the custom custom are all Ed pickups. The EVH ( evenly voiced Harmonics:tearsofjoy:) was modelled after a paf rewind and never authorised hence the silly name . The custom was in an ad in the late 70s mentioning that Ed used it and that was a problem. The custom custom never mentioned Ed anywhere and was still the pickup that Ed wanted in the neck position of the Music Man even after the Dimarzio was custom-built. The Frankie is a SD built hand wound Custom custom marketed as an EVH . The Custom was a take on a ceramic distortion pickup typical of the late 70s.
Next problem Paul Unkert (who did the headstock conversion) says it left the factory with a SD59. So the first thing I had to prove is "How many pickups had 5150 ever had" I did this with available pictures. The pickup in 5150 earliest photos show the long legs bent up the sides of the rout to get the right hight and new holes drilled for the screws. This is the useful part as they are not straight so you have something to determine that this is the same black pickup that you'r looking at in later pictures. So the three black pickups that have been rumoured to be in 5150 are the 59 , JB, and the Custom custom. Pictures conclude that only one black pickup was ever in there. I can rule out the 59 as it always at the time came in two pole with paper tape and the 5150 had cloth and four pole. I next ruled out the JB because it just didn't sound like one when I played it and I've owned a lot or JBs over the years. I originally concluded that that leaves the CC as it sounds right and is virtually the same speck as the Wolfgang pickup that was a direct copy of it. Not that simple Larry DiMarzio wrote an article that says when they made the pickups for the MM that it was a JB with one broken coil. But it was Steve that did the examination and was it stickered ? If it wasn't the CC why is the copy a CC clone? Next I had a conversation with the guy that has the pickup now and he confirmed that it was broken and one coil was 8k on the other 160k alnico 5 . Steve was right it is a broken JB . The incident that caused it was the high E got stuck in the coil and when he pulled it out it sounded different and Ed preferred it. This is also the time when the white gaff tape was added to prevent it from reoccurring .
So is the Wolfgang the same as the CC ? not really but the on paper speck is. The WG is a copy of the broken JB and indeed is a it more dynamic than the CC and a lot different to a stock JB .
I suspect this is not that useful as the closest and IMO best sounding Ed pickup is the PV version even though the EVH one is supposed to be the exact same design. BUT the PV one is alnico 5 and the EVH 2. The one in 5150 now is a PV WG and Ed liked it so much that Jim got to keep the original and still has it.

To me the stock JB never sounded right so I've done some testing and I believe I've gotten very close to this broken JB sound.

Unfortunately there would be no way to accurately know where the pup was broken but I seem to recall reading that a prototype guitar at Ernie Ball was made where Eddie could turn the "feature" on and off to experient with a toggle switch.

Which led me to believe it could probably be replicated with soldering a 160k resistor (1%, 250Mw) on the hot lead, total being near enough 180k.

I also replaced the JB polished mag for a roughcast (still Alnico V) magnet straight to a 500k EVH Bourns low friction pot with a Cornell Dubilier Mica Cap - (CD15FD151JO3F - 150PF, 500V, 5%). I guess when the 5150 was built in '83 they may have still been making the JBs with roughcast mags hence the choice.

Boy oh boy is it close. I'd love for you to test this out as well. To my ears it sounds absolutely fantastic and spot on. It's an easily reversed mod anyway.

Ps. I went with the current "look" of the 5150 by choosing the Reverse Zebra, which is I believe is still the Wolfgang pickup? But it's purely just for aesthetics for my own personal enjoyment.

Ps. Ps. Ignore the flux residue in the picture, I forgot to clean it off before taking the picture.

Attachments

• 20240103_220153.jpg
    20240103_220153.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20240103_220801.jpg
    20240103_220801.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom