5150 100 watt gizmo question

Just purchased an EVH 5150 100 watt head. I know in order for this to work with my FX-8 I will need an amp gizmo and a special cable. My question is do I need the Amp Gizmo or can the Switch Gizmo work as well. I'm aware they each have their own special cable needed. I looked on RJM's site and it would appear that the Switch Gizmo would work with that cable (2 1/4" stereo jacks on one end and a 7-pin MIDI on the other).

The Switch gizmo is $70 cheaper and if that one works...well...no brainer. Does anyone have any experience? Thanks.

DSJ

Just purchased an EVH 5150 100 watt head. I know in order for this to work with my FX-8 I will need an amp gizmo and a special cable. My question is do I need the Amp Gizmo or can the Switch Gizmo work as well. I'm aware they each have their own special cable needed. I looked on RJM's site and it would appear that the Switch Gizmo would work with that cable (2 1/4" stereo jacks on one end and a 7-pin MIDI on the other).

The Switch gizmo is $70 cheaper and if that one works...well...no brainer. Does anyone have any experience? Thanks.

DSJ
I use the mini amp gizmo ...it seems from the website the switch gizmo is not compatible..that's my understanding anyways.

I use the mini amp gizmo ...it seems from the website the switch gizmo is not compatible..that's my understanding anyways.
Scrockel, thanks for the reply. I was thinking that as well from the page for the switch, based on the compatibility list. But if you scroll down on the compatibility list, they have a note stating they sell special switch gizmo cables in their web stores. If you click on the web store link, one of the cables is for the EVH 5150 100 watt. It has 2 1/4" TRS jacks and one 7 pin MIDI cable. I would assume that the 2 1/4" jacks go into the switch gizmo and the 7 pin part goes to the amp.

Scrockel, thanks for the reply. I was thinking that as well from the page for the switch, based on the compatibility list. But if you scroll down on the compatibility list, they have a note stating they sell special switch gizmo cables in their web stores. If you click on the web store link, one of the cables is for the EVH 5150 100 watt. It has 2 1/4" TRS jacks and one 7 pin MIDI cable. I would assume that the 2 1/4" jacks go into the switch gizmo and the 7 pin part goes to the amp.

So the EVH 100 switching is not latching like a trs cable. It's runs like 18 volt or something like that. Really nice switching with no dropouts. I tried to use a gcx switcher to run it and found out its doesn't work like that. So I'm almost 100% certain you need mini amp gizmo and why I went that route.

Yes, you use the relay ports, effects loop will always be "on" but that does not bother me, a 25 foot cable cost me $75 shipped, still much cheaper than a mini amp gizmo plus cable.

I just made a bank for my Evh 5150 iii 100w and separate bank for my Mesa JP-2C, aside from the relay settings I just adjust my gate to what is most efficient for the amp.

Everything else stays the same and I can use the amp I am in the mood for.

Last edited:
Good to know. Sorry Donnie - I guess I might have steered you wrong :)
Not at all. I actually bought the amp gizmo. I feel each option has their benfits/drawbacks. While the amp gizmo is a bit more expensive, you don't need to have another cable run from the amp to the FX-8. I have a snake run for the 4 cables and adding another, while it's only one, is still another cable to deal with. But on the other hand....that one cable to deal with is cheaper. Cheaper is good.

I really appreciate the info on both accounts.

Different topic: is the amp gizmo easy to program with the EVH? I have no experience with it. Right now I have the 50 watt EVH and have all of my presets set up for that

You don't need the amp gizmo for the evh 50w since it has midi built into the amp (I had a 50w evh for a short time and was able to get it to work with midi and the fx8)

Back to the 100w can you use the stock footswitch cable? (7 pin midi) or do you need to buy the special rjm evh cable that they have in their store?

You don't need the amp gizmo for the evh 50w since it has midi built into the amp (I had a 50w evh for a short time and was able to get it to work with midi and the fx8)

Back to the 100w can you use the stock footswitch cable? (7 pin midi) or do you need to buy the special rjm evh cable that they have in their store?
I've been using the 50 watt with my FX-8 ever since I got FX, probably about 2 years plus. Works great. I was just wondering if I needed to change all of my presets to use the amp gizmo with the 100 watt amp, or if with the AG connected, the green channel will still be 0, blue = 1, and red = 2 in the config of the FX-8, the way my 50 watt is set up. Not a big deal if I have to change them.

And I don't have the footswitch or cable for the 100 watt amp. I just bought it used and it didn't come with either. I also just bought the rjm cable for the amp from rjm and should have it tomorrow or Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom