50 watts vs 1000 watts

Yeah if 150 watts per channel is not enough volume with decent speakers, I'd bet something else is going on. You're either not feeding the Matrix enough signal, your speakers are very low sensitivity, or you got some serious hearing loss going on. 150 watts into a decent 4x12 should be stupid loud.

Yeah if 150 watts per channel is not enough volume with decent speakers, I'd bet something else is going on. You're either not feeding the Matrix enough signal, your speakers are very low sensitivity, or you got some serious hearing loss going on. 150 watts into a decent 4x12 should be stupid loud.

It'll only be loud if you turn up :)

Thanks for all your replies, gentlemen. I think I have a pretty solid idea for a build in mind:

Axe-Fx III
Matrix GT1000FX or GT1600FX
Furman Power Conditioner
MESA / Boogie Engineering Rectifier straight 4x12 cabinets (x2)

If there's anything else you think I should invest in, please let me know.

Thanks for all your replies, gentlemen. I think I have a pretty solid idea for a build in mind:

Axe-Fx III
Furman Power Conditioner

For now, nothing else. But if you get out gigging, worth considering the way that 4x12 cabs focus a treble beam from about 20' in front. It can be quite painful, and damaging to young ears. I never thought about it too much, and the majority of gigs I was doing were on low stages, so the treble beam probably wasn't hitting anyone in the ears too directly, probably mainly around the crotch. However about 12 years back I was multi-tasking as engineer and guitarist, so started doing sound-checks with a radio transmitter on the guitar and wandering round the auditorium to have a listen. Jeez! Walking directly in front of my 4x12 30ft away was SSSOOO piercing. Initially I just controlled stage volume better and put more guitar in the FOH PA mix, but I knew the tone I loved was pretty compromised for quite a few listeners in the audience. Nowadays I use a big FRFR speaker.

Honestly, it's worth considering FRFR speakers for live work, you can get a 90 degree spread of very even tone, and what you hear will be close to what the audience get to hear. Alternatively, turn your cabs so they are not facing the audience and rely more on FOH.

Liam

BTW, any of you Kiwis bumped into my good mate Tim Allen yet? He emigrated a while back (with my home-built blue Telecaster, had to make sure he had a guitar he couldn't sell!) Probably an off-chance, but you do all seem to know one another!

Reactions: ESW

Axe-Fx III
Furman Power Conditioner

I run a similar setup (with only 4x12 Oversize Mesa, in stereo). I have a Matrix GT1600FX.
Should be enough to level a room.

Attachments

• 20210331_141745.jpg
    20210331_141745.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Do you have clips up anywhere? Seems like we're both men of good taste!
For sure! This was recorded with my phone but this should give you a taste!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RHGN3m6ZMMdGhUto7

This is a setup with a Diezel Herbert on the Left input and a Dual Rec on the right. Each feeds one channel of the Matrix that goes into the 2 inputs on the back of the cab. A little bit of a stereo setup you could say, but the spread is super narrow ofcourse.
I think the volume (output 2) was at about 9-10 o'clock here.

For sure! This was recorded with my phone but this should give you a taste! https://photos.app.goo.gl/RHGN3m6ZMMdGhUto7 This is a setup with a Diezel Herbert on the Left input and a Dual Rec on the right. Each feeds one channel of the Matrix that goes into the 2 inputs on the back of the cab. A little bit of a stereo setup you could say, but the spread is super narrow ofcourse. I think the volume (output 2) was at about 9-10 o'clock here.

Sounds incredible. Was that loud? 9-10 o'clock seems monstrously loud.

Sounds incredible. Was that loud? 9-10 o'clock seems monstrously loud.
I run the Matrix (both outputs) at the recommended 2 oclock setting. It's the setting where it comes to life and start packing a serious punch! (See also the Metallica gear video). I leave it like that!

On the AXE FX I use the output 2 to control the volume. 9 to 10 o' clock (which is like 2-3 I guess on a scale to 10) definitely made the room shake a bit but I know there is more power on tap! Lots more!

Above, someone said earplugs lol, and I was gonna suggest hearing aids for later years. :sunglasses:
BTW that's no BS, Marshall Amplification and no hearing protection allow me (and many others) to wear them now.
After playing (off and on) out for over 40 years, I've found you don't need a thousand watts for good stage volumes between band mates.
"Good" as in being able to hear everyone well without it being too loud. Let the PA handle that part.

Above, someone said earplugs lol, and I was gonna suggest hearing aids for later years. :sunglasses:
BTW that's no BS, Marshall Amplification and no hearing protection allow me (and many others) to wear them now.
After playing (off and on) out for over 40 years, I've found you don't need a thousand watts for good stage volumes between band mates.
"Good" as in being able to hear everyone well without it being too loud. Let the PA handle that part.
I try not to be reckless in terms of playing volume. I mostly play at home but the objective is to start playing out to put myself out there. I'll definitely be investing in good earplugs for sure.

Made this for a bit of a laugh but also it was actually kind of fun! We've all seen those rig diagrams and thought "damn! Wish there were some kind of site or app that let's you make these" - apparently not.

My rig 2021 alt.png

With a traditional tube amp, the headroom affects how its going to sound. With a modeller, you're going to be getting that headroom feel from the device so you just want to make sure the power amp delivers the volume for your application. A 5w amp with a 412 rattles windows. 100w plus of clean power and you're probably fine. Speaker effiency matters too.
BINGO.

I will say, I prefer the 'feel' the Matrix amps have over other SS amps

To the OP, I would also propose he look at powered Monitors to use IN ADDITION to Matrix/CAB, for lower volume @ home use.

BINGO.

I will say, I prefer the 'feel' the Matrix amps have over other SS amps

To the OP, I would also propose he look at powered Monitors to use IN ADDITION to Matrix/CAB, for lower volume @ home use.
Yup; Matrix has some kind of sag effect happening. I also would encourage some monitors to go along with cabinets. This is what I do and there is a lot of variety when you use the cabinets in the Axefx. I still also played through traditional cabinets for shits and giggles. Mostly both at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom