5" vs 6.5" vs 8" monitor?

Hey now.
I'm about to pull the trigger on an AX8, but need advice on monitors.
I had an Atomic Amplifire3 with JBL LSR305s for a few months but sold that setup. The 305s were 'fine.' I bought them on the basis of so many positive forum comments, and the reasonable price.

But, at NAMM a few weeks ago, i briefly played a real EVH 5150 III 100w amp through a 4x12. And even at the super low volume (i dialed it down specifically to see how it might react in my apartment bedroom), it sounded full and 'thick.' Visceral. I could (sorta) feel it. And i don't believe there was that same sense of playing 12" speakers from the JBL 5 inchers.

I'm wondering if 8" monitors would be better in that respect, or if it's realistic at all to get the sense of 12" cab speakers from 8" studio monitors.

That all said, my options now include the new JBL series along with the older models. Budget is <$400.
JBL LSR305 (5") or LSR308 (8")
New JBL 305P MkII (5") or 306P MkII (6.5").
I probably can't/won't pay so much for the newer 8" MkII, but can get the LSR308 new or used.

I need to play at 'tv volume,' and monitors would be used approx. 24" from a wall that does not border a neighbor. This would not be a nearfield situation—i'd be playing 5-9' away from the speakers.

I would consider a mono FRFR speaker like an Alto TS210/TS212, but since i will not be gigging, monitors were more often recommended to me, even though i suspected a large FRFR speaker would be more likely to give me that 'punch,' but again, at low volumes, i don't know if that's the right move either.

Sorry to extend this long post, but... types of music—a lot of 80s metal. Van Halen, and the like. Plus more blues-y stuff with clean and mildly driven Fender, Vox, Mesa tones.

I have a pair of Mackie 824’s 8” studio monitors that sound pretty good; but sound like studio monitors not like a real amp. I also have a pair of FBT Verve 8mA’s which are floor monitors. Lately I have been using just one FBT in mono on the floor by my desk where I practice (I am transitioning to mono from stereo – for playing in the band at church it is just more practical than stereo). The FBT sounds great, the bass is very real and present, much better than the Mackies and sounds more like an amp in the room – full and thick; and it is only an 8” speaker. I like having both, but if I could only have one, I think I would go for the floor monitor over studio monitors.

As a very affordable option, I have heard great things about the Alto TS210. One nice thing about that option is you can pick one up at Guitar Center often at 15% off, take it home and try it out to see if it scratches your itch, if not, take it back and try something else. You could do the same with a pair of studio monitors. With your living situation and stated parameters it seems like a wise option to try both – studio and floor monitors – and see what works best for you.

Would not go small unless I got a sub.

8 is good, eris 8?

Certainly would go 6.5?

Smaller = less bass! especially if you are going to use to mix on and have drums/bass etc as well.

I have a pair of Mackie 824’s 8” studio monitors that sound pretty good; but sound like studio monitors not like a real amp. I also have a pair of FBT Verve 8mA’s which are floor monitors. Lately I have been using just one FBT in mono on the floor by my desk where I practice (I am transitioning to mono from stereo – for playing in the band at church it is just more practical than stereo). The FBT sounds great, the bass is very real and present, much better than the Mackies and sounds more like an amp in the room – full and thick; and it is only an 8” speaker. I like having both, but if I could only have one, I think I would go for the floor monitor over studio monitors.

As a very affordable option, I have heard great things about the Alto TS210. One nice thing about that option is you can pick one up at Guitar Center often at 15% off, take it home and try it out to see if it scratches your itch, if not, take it back and try something else. You could do the same with a pair of studio monitors. With your living situation and stated parameters it seems like a wise option to try both – studio and floor monitors – and see what works best for you.

Thanks for the suggestion of the FBT Verve 8mA—I had not heard of that product.
Your advice to buy/return monitors/FRFR is 'sound' (no pun intended). I was expecting to buy one or the other on the used market, though. But, that'll depend on what i can find next week on craigslist/reverb. But, with the JBLs, a lot of sellers haven't reduced the LSR prices in recognition of the recent release of the Mk II, and NEW LSRs are similarly priced. So, i might try that approach. I do agree it's the best way to be sure, but i just don't like doing that.

Would not go small unless I got a sub.

8 is good, eris 8?

Certainly would go 6.5?

Smaller = less bass! especially if you are going to use to mix on and have drums/bass etc as well.
I might later use them for music production/mixing, but right now they'll be in a different room and used strictly for guitar.
I looked at the Eris series a while ago—don't remember why i eventually dismissed them....

Just my opinion but if its the amp feel and sound is what you are trying to get close to I would say use an FRFR.
12" speaker vs 6 or 8. You will never get an amp feel/sound from a monitor IMHO.
I use the laney powered speaker. It has a ton of features including speaker emulation ( 1x12 and 4x12).
200watts and loud enough on stage if you ever need it.

Just my opinion but if its the amp feel and sound is what you are trying to get close to I would say use an FRFR.
12" speaker vs 6 or 8. You will never get an amp feel/sound from a monitor IMHO.
I use the laney powered speaker. It has a ton of features including speaker emulation ( 1x12 and 4x12).
200watts and loud enough on stage if you ever need it.
what laney powered speaker you have?

The closer to an FRFR monitor size (12-15") the better I think. So 8" monitors would be great. The one thing that I do when creating a preset or using a downloaded preset is to have my studio monitors and Friedman FRFR on. I switch back-and-forth between both when listening/tweaking the presets. Once I get a good FRFR sound the studio monitor normally sounds good as well. Now I have a good reference point/template for future presets.

Thanks for the suggestion of the FBT Verve 8mA—I had not heard of that product.
Your advice to buy/return monitors/FRFR is 'sound' (no pun intended). I was expecting to buy one or the other on the used market, though. But, that'll depend on what i can find next week on craigslist/reverb. But, with the JBLs, a lot of sellers haven't reduced the LSR prices in recognition of the recent release of the Mk II, and NEW LSRs are similarly priced. So, i might try that approach. I do agree it's the best way to be sure, but i just don't like doing that.

I was not so much recommending the FBT, as they are no longer available other than used. Rather, my point is simple, a floor monitor has a different kind of sound from studio monitors and it would be good if you could try both and see which way better fits yours needs. Also, a more cab like speaker, like the Xitone MBritt, or Matrix FR10 or FR12, may be different as well. I am actually considering an Matrix FR12 currently.

Hope you are able to find something that works well for your situation.

I just switched to Yamaha Hs8 pair and the Hs8s sub.
I did demo the JBL 8 inch monitors also. Liked the Yamahas better.
Sound great for use with Axe and mixing with DAW.
Might still be doing rebates on them also.

I'll second that idea. I am using a TS210 on the floor pointed up like a stage monitor to play through. Sounds good to me, plenty of bottom end when I want it at home volumes. I also have a pair of JBL LSR305s and I much prefer playing through the TS210. My 2c. Good luck!

I have some great studio monitors but I hands down prefer playing through my CLR, even at late night volume.

My FRFR just has better dispersion of sound than the desktop monitors, which aren't really meant for far field listening. They sound great sitting at my studio desk, with amazing imaging of the stereo field, but I don't like to play sitting in that sweetspot, as such, the FRFR CLR sounds better playing when standing etc.

I was not so much recommending the FBT, as they are no longer available other than used. Rather, my point is simple, a floor monitor has a different kind of sound from studio monitors and it would be good if you could try both and see which way better fits yours needs. Also, a more cab like speaker, like the Xitone MBritt, or Matrix FR10 or FR12, may be different as well. I am actually considering an Matrix FR12 currently.

Hope you are able to find something that works well for your situation.

Thank you, sir.

If you want your sound as close as real amp + cab in your room, you can go with a 10" or 12" FRFR on the ground (a lot of real amps have 10" speakers).
You can also use a real cab + power amp with the axe FX II (and power soak if you want to reduce the volume like some people do using real amps).

If you want to play (like me) at "pretty low" volume and/or with backtracks in a samll music room, go for monitors .
I personally have Fluid audio FX8 8" coaxials monitors, and they are already really loud enough to have regularly some trouble with the rest of the family :D

You must not forget that the AXE FX II deliver the sound of cabs captured with a mic.
I mean, the sound we can listen from a CD / DVD

When I play along a backtrack or a live DVD, I can have the feeling that I am replacing the guy playing on the stage because my sound is pretty close as the one I can listen from the DVD
BUT I surely don't ear the same sound as the guy on the stage with his real amp + cab.

I precise that I also play very often with a Headphone at home.
I don't disturb the family, and the AXe FX II sounds killer like that (playing along with backtracks)

Mono monitoring is totally fine! If you play to backing tracks or music i'd use a stereo-setup. So if u want to mix in the future, i'd suggest buying one good speaker and using it mono for now; and buying a second speaker for stereo later.

If you want your sound as close as real amp + cab in your room, you can go with a 10" or 12" FRFR on the ground (a lot of real amps have 10" speakers).
You can also use a real cab + power amp with the axe FX II (and power soak if you want to reduce the volume like some people do using real amps).

If you want to play (like me) at "pretty low" volume and/or with backtracks in a samll music room, go for monitors .
I personally have Fluid audio FX8 8" coaxials monitors, and they are already really loud enough to have regularly some trouble with the rest of the family :D

You must not forget that the AXE FX II deliver the sound of cabs captured with a mic.
I mean, the sound we can listen from a CD / DVD

When I play along a backtrack or a live DVD, I can have the feeling that I am replacing the guy playing on the stage because my sound is pretty close as the one I can listen from the DVD
BUT I surely don't ear the same sound as the guy on the stage with his real amp + cab.

I precise that I also play very often with a Headphone at home.
I don't disturb the family, and the AXe FX II sounds killer like that (playing along with backtracks)
I had the Atomic Amplifire with monitors, so i think i'm familiar with how the AX8 will reproduce the 'cabs with mic' scenario. I'm expecting the Fractal to be just a bit better, and more fully-featured (many more amps, better effects....). But, i'm not sure i want the sense of playing with a CD. I might have been satisfied with that before, but after my recent experience with the EVH amp+4x12 at NAMM, i was hoping for a bit more of a 'visceral' experience, even at low volume. I think i will just have to try an FRFR 10 or 12" at the same time as 8" monitors, and make the call from there.

I will eventually get an amp and cab, if for no other reason than that i'm enamored of the idea of having a 'vintage marshall cab' in my room—partly because of the aesthetics and spirit of it, and partially to help me forget i'm playing through a digital device.

Thank you, manu68.

Back
Top Bottom