5-pin XLR output for guitar

getlostinsound

Inspired
Hi all,

I'm using a Tele-style guitar that has three separate outputs. The first is the typical magnetic pickup system, the second is the piezo pickup in the bridge, and the third is a pickup that has an "octave down" output for the lowest two strings. I process all three signals signals separately, which is why it needs the separate outputs (magnetic to electric guitar signal chain, piezo to "acoustic" signal chain, octave-down output to bass signal chain). The processing all happens in an Axe FX III.

I'm currently using a TRS jack to get the magnetic and piezo outputs, and a second TS jack to get the bass output. I'd like to be able to use a single cable to hook up the guitar to my rack, which has the Axe FX in it. I don't know of a "TRRS" 1/4" connector, so I'm looking at using a 5-pin XLR output for the guitar. I know I only need 4-pins, but 5-pin XLR cables and connectors are more readily available if I needed to replace it.

The piezo pickup in the bridge runs through a preamp/pot that runs on a 9V battery. I'm trying to figure out whether there's a way to have the battery automatically disconnect when I unplug the cable (instead of installing another on/off switch that disconnects the battery).

For example, with a regular electric guitar with active pickups, you can use a TRS jack and wire the negative battery wire to the ring of the TRS jack, so that the battery connects to ground when a TS cable is plugged in.

Can you guys think of any way I could achieve similar functionality of battery disconnection with this weird, custom setup?
:o

Is there some other connector besides the 5-pin XLR that would provide this functionality?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom