5-pin MIDI transfers are possible but not supported, because they are too slow

All expression pedal messages between the MFC101 and Axe II were MIDI CC. I also used a Behringer FCB1010 with dual expression pedals via MIDI and it worked fine too. Pre Axe FX, I used an Art foot controller with dual expression pedals via MIDI in my Boogie TriAxis rig and those worked perfectly too.

There's plenty of users here that use Mastermind and other third party controllers via MIDI with the III and they don't have any issues with expression pedals.
I partially revise my post. My Gordius LG2 and Axe II are smooth. But the gear I used prior had issues. It was horrible in the 90s. I always had to use my DAWs "cc thinning" function or things would bog down. It's apparently gear specific, and not inherent in MIDI. Some gear would lag, and some would blow off the information if it was too dense.

I want to send Program Changes with Logic to the SIM1. Axe Edit is not involved in my scenario. (Only as a workaround maybe, but I think that is not necessary.)

I want to send Program Changes with Logic to the SIM1. Axe Edit is not involved in my scenario. (Only as a workaround maybe, but I think that is not necessary.)
The link you mentioned in your first post states:

"Incoming MIDI data (via MIDI IN or via MIDI-over-USB) is indicated by a LED on the front panel. Data at the MIDI IN port is passed through to the MIDI THRU port (not to MIDI OUT)."

It doesn't explicitly state that USB MIDI In data is not passed to the MIDI Thru, but others here have said that it does not work. I've never tried it, but I believe them.

"5-pin MIDI transfers are possible but not supported, because they are too slow."
This is what refers to Axe Edit, and possibly Fractal Bot.

I didn't understand the problem until I looked at the Sim1. I think mwd had the answer. Just use two USB outs on the Mac; one to the Axe and one to the SIM1. If you need other 5-pin devices, you'll need to use a 3rd USB port for a USB to 5-pin interface. If you lack enough USB ports, you could use a hub.

The link you mentioned in your first post states:

"Incoming MIDI data (via MIDI IN or via MIDI-over-USB) is indicated by a LED on the front panel. Data at the MIDI IN port is passed through to the MIDI THRU port (not to MIDI OUT)."

It doesn't explicitly state that USB MIDI In data is not passed to the MIDI Thru, but others here have said that it does not work. I've never tried it, but I believe them.

"5-pin MIDI transfers are possible but not supported, because they are too slow."
This is what refers to Axe Edit, and possibly Fractal Bot.

I didn't understand the problem until I looked at the Sim1. I think mwd had the answer. Just use two USB outs on the Mac; one to the Axe and one to the SIM1. If you need other 5-pin devices, you'll need to use a 3rd USB port for a USB to 5-pin interface. If you lack enough USB ports, you could use a hub.
I don't want to bother you guys to much with a problem that mainly concerns the sim1 support. Just to clarify: You can not go from USB to USB if you want to send MIDI to the SIM1.
On the right-hand side of the XT‑1 sits a USB 2 port that allows the connection of either of the two supplied accessories — a USB Wi-Fi adaptor, which can connect the pedal to a smartphone/tablet, or the SIM1–branded USB stick, used for backup and transfer of data to a desktop computer. Although this port can be connected to a MIDI‑USB adaptor to allow MIDI program change messages to be sent to the XT‑1 from an external controller or computer, it cannot be connected directly to a computer USB port — indeed, damage may result.
You have to go from your Mac USB port into your first MIDI Interface which has 5 Pin Ports than you have to connect from those 5 Pin Ports to another MIDI Interface with 5 Pin Ports and from that second Interface you connect via USB into the SIM1. I don't know if I am stupid or cray, but seems to be the way it has to be. It's ridicoulously complicated!
Here is the tutorial for the Kemper with SIM1 which illustrates this setup:

If you read the Quote from the SIM1 FAQ it sounds so simple... :)
XT-1 and XT-B can be controlled by MIDI Program Change?
By admin-sim|November 28th, 2020|FAQ-1

Yes, it’s possible to control XT-1 with a midi pedalboard through MIDI program change. IT’s enough to connect a simple USB/MIDI interface adapter to the USB port of the pedal.

I got MIDI Program Change to the SIM1 XT working now with the following setup:
iRig MIDI 2 connected to a USB Port of my iMac. 5 Pin MIDI Out of the iRig connected with 5 Pin MIDI In of Roland USB UM One Interface. USB Cable of the Roland connected to the USB Port of the SIM1 XT.
In Logic Pro I can then select the iRig MIDI 2 as MIDI Port for a track and then send on this track Program Changes to the SIM1 XT.
(I will post this also in the SIM1 thread.)

Back
Top Bottom