5 Months and counting.... just another two added!

malenko

Hello all,

Yes back in December I discovered this box of black magic called Axe FX II. By February I just had to get one so placed an order. I was too late for that shipment around that time so it's now 5 months waiting, with the hope that this month I would become a proud owner. But wait! I just get an email to say the shipment has been delayed now to maybe mid August! Gutted. I know it's worth the wait but the anticipation is killing me. Although I have been offered an XL model which maybe ready in a few weeks, (a clever marketing ploy by the FAS team me thinks ;) I can't decide whether to go for it? I really don't need the extras the XL has to offer which to me is a bit of a waste but then it is a quicker way of me finally getting my hands on one.
What should I do?

Also due to the fact of having a wife, child, neighbours and job 9-5, I mostly only get to play later in the evening so the headphones have to go on. I have excellent pair of Senheiser's with a flat response but they are wired which annoys me when playing. I do have a cheap Senheiser wireless RF pair, but they keep losing connection.
So does anyone know and use a good pair they could recommend to use with the Axe?

Cheers

Well I'm up to near month 5 waiting for a MKII down here in Australia.

My opinion is production must be focusing on XL, so MKII deliveries are delayed.

Any indication of the despatch of MKII's shipment down under to Aussie? I'm busting.

Please be this month as indicated.

Where abouts in Australia?

Pauly

Well I'm up to near month 5 waiting for a MKII down here in Australia.

My opinion is production must be focusing on XL, so MKII deliveries are delayed.

Any indication of the despatch of MKII's shipment down under to Aussie? I'm busting.

Please be this month as indicated.

Don't expect great results listening direct with headphones. You will want to monitor the recorded tone from your DAW.

Don't expect great results listening direct with headphones. You will want to monitor the recorded tone from your DAW.

Not to hijack, but can you expand on that? I'm in the same position as the OP (wife, kids, headphones, ...etc), anything I can do to improve the sound would be appreciated. I use headphones direct into the AxeFX XL with no DAW.

I get much better sounds from headphones than monitors, headphones allow you to get better room acoustic settings than my guitar room will allow. I use top end cabled sennheisers, I don't think there is a low latency non-compressed wireless headphone technology to get round the cable issue though.

I get much better sounds from headphones than monitors, headphones allow you to get better room acoustic settings than my guitar room will allow. I use top end cabled sennheisers, I don't think there is a low latency non-compressed wireless headphone technology to get round the cable issue though.

Check out the Sennheiser RS 220 that came out in 2012. Not cheap but if you shop around you can find some good deals on them. They are very similar to their HD 600/650 cans in a wireless form factor.

Last edited:
I know it's definitely gonna be worth the wait for sure and what's another few months to be able to own what is effectively revolutionizing the guitar world, but I get the feeling I'm going to get the XL for the hell of it and like you say brokenvail, the long haul could be worth it more.

I actually do have the Hd 650 cans to use in my studio. Did a lot of research on them and at the time, they are the best around for producing and mixing. Obviously not mastering but they are as good as sitting in front of studio monitors and I have to say they really are. I know you ain't gonna get as good as wired (well maybe not yet but soon in this digital world) but I'll deffo check out those RS 220 cheers cobbler.
As for listening through a DAW , I'm not so sure it would be any better than direct as effectively through the DAW you are slightly going to end up colouring it but certainly if you are going to record it will be the way to go. Having said that I will actually be going through a DAW as that is just the way my setup will end up and I like playing with backing and click tracks plus if the urge to record is there, it's all ready. Plus I have a Saffire Pro 24 DSP sound mod which has a really cool feature called VRM, which basically models the sound as if you are listening from different sources in your headphones. For example you can make the sound like a crappy flat screen tv, a bedroom studio with KRK's or a full blown studio with the top of the range monitors. You can even change room listening position. It's great for mixing through headphones, saves all that trying your mix in the car, the tv, the crappy old stereo you've had for years and so on ...

Not to hijack, but can you expand on that? I'm in the same position as the OP (wife, kids, headphones, ...etc), anything I can do to improve the sound would be appreciated. I use headphones direct into the AxeFX XL with no DAW.

Not sure what a DAW could add that is not in the AXE, but regarding headphones. - the best thing you can do is adjust your expectations. They are headphones and not a cranked amp, or FRFR, in the room. Enjoy what you get with headphones and enjoy getting great tone and feel without disturbing those around you.

When I bought my Ultra there was no wait. I was on a waiting list for 4 months for my Axe-FX II here in the US. I love Fractal but it can be disappointing when you can't buy the hardware. I don't fault them for being slower with the older product. They aren't Apple. They are a small company making a boutique product. Regarding the XL, $300 is a lot of money. The added memory/capability will come in handy but is not essential but also consider this. I find many wonderful tones on Axe-Change. More and more "elite" users are going XL and their patches won't be compatible with a II. An XL can load XL and II patches. If I had the scratch I'd go XL for sure.

Regarding headphones... I use headphones on "school nights". I use AKG 702 open backs and I leave the monitors on in the room at low volume so I hear a blend of the speakers and headphones. Much nicer. The cord used to drive me crazy so I put two clips on my guitar strap and route the cord u my back. I tie the cord to the guitar cable so there is only one "cord", the guitar chord and I don't notice or feel the headphone cable. No stepping on it or rolling over it with my chair or tugging the headphones off my head. With these tricks and a few nights practice you won't even notice it. It just takes a couple of minutes to set up.

I like the sound of my Audio Tech ATH-M50's. reasonable price and very comfy.

One of the other reasons I think it's worth the wait. There is more room for "additions", etc, etc. Thinking of the future. And the 2 external pedals (like it use to be before AxeII) is great also.

I vote go for the XL. Cant have too many user cab slots. In terms of headphones, I just bought the Beyerdynamic Dt880 Pro and its the best pair of headphones Ive ever heard. Really flat response and it makes everything sound amazing.

Headphones are fine (and I use them for when I need to be quiet) but for practicing between weekly rehearsals nothing beats tweaking my presets to the recordings while playing through my CLR. I have CLRs installed for my personal monitors (FOH on input 1 and Axe on input 2) at both venues so this makes sense for me. Only thing that would be better would be to have 2 CLRs to crank in stereo when the wife and son are out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided to go XL. Im sure its gonna even more worth it for the future and i just cant wait any longer :)

Thanks for all the cans suggestions. I will look into them all but the rs220's seem more loke what im after.

Cheers all and btw, this forum seems to be visited by some of the nicest people around unlike some other forums i visit. Always genuine and hellpfull replies so i am glad to becoming part of this great community :)

Is anyone actually using RS220 for guitar? I read they had 20ms latency, so equivalent to standing 20ft from an amp delay wise (plus the delay from the axe-fx). I thought this might be an issue, but am interested in peoples experiences.

20ms latency does not sound great for their price. Certainly would be interested in finding this out if it is true

Well people back on topic there has been a development in my waiting for the AXE FX II MK2.

As it appears that the next shipment to arrive down under to Australia is going to be for XL units and the Mk2's are still delayed, I have been offered one of the XL units.

I'm actually a little pleased as now i will be getting the XL (In another month or so additional wait)

Back
Top Bottom