5 minute tones - Pitch Follower

my favourite use for this is to create portamento in the pitch block. set the tracking mode to envelope and then attach the pitch mod to the frequency parameter. you'll have to fine tune the start, mid and end values, so that it tracks pitch perfectly in tune, but you can then add some "damping" (in the II), or some attack and release time (in the III) to make the transition from one note to another slower than instantaneous.

That's a cool idea. Gonna try that!

This is a really cool trick! If playing two or more notes, does the pitch follower try to stay locked to the lowest note / fundamental?

This is a really cool trick! If playing two or more notes, does the pitch follower try to stay locked to the lowest note / fundamental?

That's a question for @FractalAudio. What I've observed is that it seems to find what I would essentially call the most dominant note. Usually it seems to be the lower note but I don't think it works that way 100% of the time. This sort of thing is one of the reasons why you set the attack/release on the modifier parameters so that the value doesn't jump around erratically for anomalies like this.

It tries, and usually does an okay job if there's a large enough interval (octave or more) between the lowest two notes. A fourth or fifth is typically read as a lower missing fundamental. Other intervals/voicings might be read as other lower notes or jump around unpredictably.

Did not know about this, but I can already see using it often. Killer bring Leon (and hippietim). Thank you.

I can't get my FM3 to respond to pitch. Any ideas?
The follower just stays in one position whatever i play.
Now it moved to 9 from 7 after changing the output ... still one position.

1600514095527.png

I'm late to this party. I just wanted to say thanks to Leon for this. This little trick is amazing, and though I've been using an AXE FX since 2014, I've actually never tried this before. I love it! This thread deserved a bump anyway.

Back
Top Bottom