5 Artists that are you

1. Neil Zaza
2. Slash
3. Joe Bonamassa
4. Journey
5. Bullet for my Valentine

Lots of honorable mentions, but the first 4 are most influential in my playing. Number 5 changes from time to time, but here lately it has been going back to BFMV for some reason.

Rage against the machine
Pantera
Zeppelin
Motley Crüe
Mother Love Bone

Hard not to include ozzy, randy Rhodes, zakk Wylde.

my guitar journey: Stuart Adamson ( Big Country ) - great energy Live
Status Quo - playalongable for a beginner
Gary Moore - fiery
Alex Lifeson - classic and cool
George Lynch - chops

honorable mentions: Joe Satriani, Billy Gibbons

The guitarists I've most admired were typically a large part of their band's sound, so:
Alex Lifeson and Rush
Steve Rothery and Marillion
John Petrucci and Dream Theater
Dave Gilmour and Pink Floyd
Brett Garsed... His first Rock Fusion video is still amazing and my gateway into hybrid picking and legato based playing. A very different sound to the guys I'd been listening to up until that point.

Journey
Steve Lukather and Toto
Joe Satriani
SRV
Van Halen

Honourable mention to Motley Crüe, Def Leppard

That's interesting that Steely Dan comes up so much.

In no particular order of importance:

1. Pink Floyd
2. Nine Inch Nails
3. The Doors
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers
5. Miles Davis

wow that was hard, feel like so many got left out...

Led Zep, DJ Dan, RATM, Tool, AIC, Animals as Leaders, Zero 7, Sade, Katy Perry, John Scofield, Mike Stern, Bela Fleck, Victor Wooten, Dave Matthews, Modern Day Babylon, FNM, After the Burial and many more would round out the list

Dude! I've never seen Katy Perry make an influence list before. That's a first. Cool though.

1. Therapy? - I'll take any opportunity to plug these guys. They break all the rules about what you're allowed to do in a "heavy" rock band without ever getting all proggy and indulgent about it. Drums can be a lead instrument. Earnestness is optional. That random guitar noise might be the hook. And for those of you who might feel like you're getting too old for this s&@#: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs_PubBCebM They're all in their late 40's and they've played Knives a thousand times - still ain't boring!

2. The Pixies - Is Joey Santiago the most technically gifted guitarist ever? No. Does Planet of Sound still sound like it's going to jump out of the speakers and turn my desk over? Yes it does.

3. Iggy Pop - Even when he's awful, it's a kind of awful only he can do. There's still just nobody like him, though Keidis tries...

4. Radiohead - I still can't think of any album released since OK Computer for which I can say "That's a better album than OK Computer".

5. EVH - When I hear other "shredders" they always sound like they're playing guitar really fast. Eruption still sounds like it's coming from a different planet. Honestly, I find a lot of the songs pretty boring. I just sit though them, waiting to see what sort of ludicrous noises Eddie will wring from his apparently familiar instrument during the solo.

Back
Top Bottom