5 Artists that are you

As others have stated, 5 artists doesn't begin to cover my musical upbringing. I simply listened to way too much music starting with my earliest childhood memories.
If I have to pick 5, the only way I can do that is by period. I guess I have had phases of where I was at/am at musically, at least somewhat predominantly.

1) Roy Clark - My first guitar hero. That dude could flat out shred. Don't believe me? Look him up. As a 12 year old I began teaching myself guitar with Roy Clark, Duane Eddy and Ventures 8 tracks. ( a real bitch, you only got one shot at it, then had to wait like 10 minutes for that track to come around again!) Used to try to play along live to Hee-Haw episodes on TV.

2) Van Halen - My hot 19 year old next door neighbor told me EVH was the best guitar player in the world after I asserted that Roy Clark was. I had never heard of this Van Halen guy. That chick taught me some things.:shock This must have been around '79-80. Got me into rock. (She also gave me a Queen album and AC/DC on vinyl - so all of that changed me from oldies and country into a rock and metal kid) Bonus: Her name was Candy. True story. Can't make that shit up.

3) Neal Schon -Stone in Love and Who's Cryin Now are still 2 of my all time favorite solos. Might be the player I am most patterned after as far as my own style and sound go.

4) Sunset Strip. Not a player, or a band, but THE SOUND. Dio, Ratt, Crue, all of it. Not just Hollyweird either, but the whole 80's hair thing. Night Ranger, Ozzy, Tesla, Skid Row. and holy crap... Paul Gilbert. 80's metal and Arena Rock is the guitar house I live in.

5) Joe Satriani. Hands down, by far my all time favorite artist... ever. The one who REALLY made me want to play the guitar. The first time I heard Surfing With the Alien sometime in 1988 my mind was blown, and I ate the red pill right then and there (Matrix reference... but you got that)

6) Yep.... 6! I'm a rebel. Deal with me. My list has to give mention to John Petrucci. Dream Theater is just tremendous to me. I can only list JP as an influence on my playing because his old video "Rock Discipline" did wonders for my alternate picking. He and Paul Gilbert set the bar high, and gave me a decade of hand cramps (hence my name). In reality, I can't play anywhere close to either of them, and I don't play their music. It's just still over my head. I can't dunk either, even though I watch the NBA. Oh well.

Now, will someone start a new thread theorizing that about 50 artists really shape your core? That one would be more fun for me to write about. (Because this list has to include players like Page, Hendrix and Gilmore who are also huge for me... )

Deep Purple / Rainbow (Blackmore)
Status Quo (up until Just Supposin')
Judas Priest (up until Turbo)
Pat Travers
Night Ranger (mainly Brad Gillis)
Montrose
Van Halen

Does Axe FX tend to attract more heavy metal and hard rock players? Or is this representative of guitar players in general? It doesn't seem like this preference tracks to general music listeners, but maybe I'm just out of touch. My most formative influences aren't as widely cited as I thought they would be.
Mark Knopfler
Eric Clapton
Allman Bros (all flavors- from Dickie/Duane to Warren/Derek)
Carlos Santana
Keith Richards

Reactions: Jul
Does Axe FX tend to attract more heavy metal and hard rock players? Or is this representative of guitar players in general? It doesn't seem like this preference tracks to general music listeners, but maybe I'm just out of touch. My most formative influences aren't as widely cited as I thought they would be.
Mark Knopfler
Eric Clapton
Carlos Santana
Keith Richards

I am from the generation that grew up with the folks you listed. And I am reveling in my enjoyment of the Axe (and Kemper). I just tend to use/create patches with an amp/cab and a few fx.

Its versatile enough to be configured for a variety of different styles.

ButI noticed the same thing at the Kemper forum. Lots of users are into Heavy / Death Metal. Definitely not my cup of tea.But, to each their own. :)

This could be my list too. Have to put the Beatles in though.

And don't think I've seen a women yet--how 'bout Bonnie Raitt...

Mark Knopfler
Eric Clapton
Carlos Santana
Keith Richards

Picking five musicians or groups is like saying my body is made out of 5 cells.
Like some others have said, I am influenced by everything. The crickets chirping sends me running for a DAW or hand held recorder all the time.
It gets silly sometimes, and never stops, but I can't remember a time I wasn't that way. :)
I dig it all. Literally.

FIVE!!??

OK ....I'll play.

Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Jeff Beck
Larry Carlton
SRV/Eric Johnson......(is that cheating?)

Five ain't nowhere near enough.

Almost my exact list too...
replace Eric Clapton with AC/DC ...or just about anyone else for that matter
and you got it!!

Each of these kicked me hard in a whole new direction when I heard them

1. Kraftwerk
2. George Clinton/Bootsy Collins/James Brown
3. Steely Dan
4. Zero 7
5. Art of Noise

Still love them all to this day.

That's interesting that Steely Dan comes up so much.

In no particular order of importance:

1. Pink Floyd
2. Nine Inch Nails
3. The Doors
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers
5. Miles Davis

wow that was hard, feel like so many got left out...

Led Zep, DJ Dan, RATM, Tool, AIC, Animals as Leaders, Zero 7, Sade, Katy Perry, John Scofield, Mike Stern, Bela Fleck, Victor Wooten, Dave Matthews, Modern Day Babylon, FNM, After the Burial and many more would round out the list

Back
Top Bottom