5.04 adv. parameters--xformer match

symphx

Fractal Fanatic
fyi to all, I have no idea what this does, I use my ears and do tinker with all parameters, but XFORMER MATCH really really really changes sounds on high gain patches fyi to all ya peeps out theya. Try it, adds or cuts bass thickness treble etc.

Very powerful control. Use in moderation.

It changes the turns ratio of the virtual output transformer.

It changes the turns ratio of the virtual output transformer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Great !!! So what does it mean? english please !!! Not everyone out here has an engineering degree

Look up what a transformer is made of and its function in a amp.
If you have an Axe you have to be an engineer :mrgreen

That's about as simple as I can think of putting it myself. Lemme see how best I can explain this.....

It's like shifting gears on your car while keeping your foot on the gas in exactly the same position. It will give you a different interaction because of a different ratio.

Make more sense or less now?

To experiment with this on a real amp, you only need to take it apart, remove and desolder the output transformer, remove the cover, expose the copper wire, remove several thousand windings of copper wire and then re-wind it, recover, resolder and put it all back together. Do this entire process several times, using fewer or more turns of wire each time until you find the sweet spot you like, tone-wise. Don't worry, if you accidentally wreck your OT you can always order a new one off the web, usually only 100 or 150 bucks.

Experimenting is a little easier on the Axe-Fx. :)

It changes the turns ratio of the virtual output transformer.

"Yeah Great !!! So what does it mean? english please !!! Not everyone out here has an engineering degree"

easy big guy, no need to get hostile with all the !!!!!!!! etc. just turn the knob and see what you like, thats what I do. I know its frustrating, I wish each knob had an explanation in terms of sound, but that's just not Cliffs thang, use yer ears. It is why I posted this, I find it very interesting and useful and powerful as the man says.

Cliff needs a " language for dummies(99% of guitarists)" guy or gal working for Fractal to translate what he says. Most people don't understand 90% of what gets said on here. Guitarists can barely understand the knobs on the front of their amps!! lol

I recently started fiddling with this parameter. I love what it does to high gain sounds. As Cliff said in moderation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am still trying to understand the responses as well.
I understand the Xformer Match parameter, but am afraid of replying... might be better to just lurk these days...

XFORMER MATCH – Extremely powerful parameter that sets relative output transformer primary impedance which in turn controls how easily power tubes are driven into clipping (higher MASTER = more pronounced effect). Decreasing causes the power tubes to clip later and therefore the phase inverter and grid clipping becomes more predominant. At lower settings the speaker resonance will be more pronounced. For optimum results bring up MASTER until desired amount of power amp distortion is achieved, then adjust XFormer Match until the character of the distortion is as desired. The various LF and HF resonance parameters interact strongly with this parameter.

This is from the quick reference guide.

Wait, reading that^ prompts the question now, is it that the parameter adjusts the primary impedance or the turns ratio? Cliff said it was the turns ratio, but the reference says that it's the primary impedance.
What I'm getting at is that you can adjust the primary impedance but keep the turns ratio the same (i.e by adjusting the secondary as well), but you can also increase the primary impedance and change the turns ratio by keeping the secondary constant.
My understanding of cliff's post was that you are doing the latter, by essentially adding more wire (turns). Please correct me if I'm wrong tho.

K, re-reading the posts again and again, it seems to me that it is indeed the latter - he's adding more wire to the primary, thus changing the input impedance and effectively the turns ratio. Again, correct me if I'm misunderstanding...

Symphx - To my ears, the transformer match feature adds more extended frequency response as it's increased, as well as additional presence - and the opposite effect when decreased. That's about as simple as I can describe this parameter's effect.... It's great for big, high intensity sounds. :)

seriously what crawled up yer A, tough guy? chill, no I have no clue but I have ears and can turn a virtual knob.

So can a 2 year old ....BTW bragging about things u are good at (turning knobs) is impolite... You should have left everything out but the no clue part

Ill tell you what crawled up my a ... mI tired of asking a simple questions on this forum and then i get a smart ass reply ... Im just trying to learn? Why do u have a problem with that...

Back
Top Bottom