4x12 Stiletto vs Rectifier

torkolort

Inspired

Video shows an A/B comparison between the two cabinets. I'm a little surprised because to me it sounds like the Stiletto has more lower mids, less highs and sounds fuller, while the Rectifier has more high end and sounds thinner. This is pretty much the opposite of what I hear with the Recto vs Cali cab sims in the Axe. I think the Cali has a lot more highs and sounds thinner than the Recto2.

Any opinions?

Stiletto is basically almost the same cab as a Marshall 1960BV.

I must say that the Stiletto is what many consider the John Petrucci cabinet and IMO that describes it pretty well. It's dark sounding and when soloed like this it'll sound more pleasing to most ears... but put them in a mix you might get different opinions. The Recto cab has way more cut. An A/B like this that's not in a mix is not enough for people to decide which is better. Actually.. someone should match EQ those tones and put them in a mix. :D

But since the Axe-Fx Cali cab is based on the Stiletto, I would expect to hear about the same differences between Cali and Recto, but in some ways it's more the opposite. I might be wrong though, I haven't used the Recto cabs for some time now, but what I remember is that I got a smoother and darker sound with the Recto2 as supposed to the Cali which was brighter and a bit thinner. I still preferred the Cali in general, but for leads the Recto2 actually worked better, for me anyways.

Oh whatta hell I'll do it:

I think I still prefer the Stiletto overall. On low volumes the Rectifier will give you more cut so in that category it wins.

No problem. I don't actually have a patch since I did this in my DAW. Patch was my "Damage Control" patch without a cab.

Back
Top Bottom