4U Rack case for Axe XL

crg123

Experienced
I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice about rack cases for the Axe XL. This is the first rack unit I've ever owned so I'm pretty new to this. I want a 4U so I can eventually get a 1U Voltage regulator and a 1U power amp down the road. For now I'll just keep my actually physical pedals I use under the Axe. I use a UPS for studio/ home playing.

I was thinking about getting the SKB molded case seen here http://www.amazon.com/SKB-Space-Rot...e=UTF8&qid=1429290613&sr=1-6&keywords=4u+rack or possibly the Gator seen here: Amazon.com: Gator Cases Pro Series Rotationally Molded Rack Case (4 Space): Musical Instruments

Again I'm new to this so is there anything I should look out for with Rack cases? Also Will the XL fit in these?

The SKB is: 23.1 x 10.2 x 23.8 inches ; 13.8 pounds
and the Gator is 21.5 x 10 x 21.2 inches ; 12 pounds

I have the 2u rack from SKB and it's very solid build and really good qualtity and can recommend the SKB racks. I bought second 2U rack made in china and it's nothing compared with SKB. SKB's are build in Canada and they're worth the money - everey penny of it...:eagerness:

Last edited:

I have the Gator and love it. SKB is just as good of quality, but I preferred the molded plastic on the Gator when I checked it out. Ordered from Amazon & evaluated at Guitar Center. Either will work but DEFINITELY get the 4U for your future expansion.

Front_zpszzxqgavr.jpg

I just read some reviews that said in the GATOR's the rack rails are glued on!?
Is this true with what you guys have?
One guy said the glue came off on the first install.

Are the gator cases a decent enough size for having on a desk? I have a 4u roadrunner rack bag right now (the suitcase type with wheels and extending handle) and it's a bit of a space hog and kinda poor quality IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than the molded style, check out Carvin. I have the 4U and like it a lot. I tried an SKB but returned it. I can't remember why though. Maybe the Carvin was a little smaller and worked out better for the amp stand I have it sitting on. Check out their power conditioner also. I bought that too and really like it. I think I got a discount buying the rack and PC together.

Edit: Evidently Carvin has gone through some company changes since the last time I looked. Split up or something. I don't see a 4U listed.

Last edited:
I couldn't be happier with my 4u Gator, does the job I need, didn't cost an arm and a leg, and for anything short of shipping it protects the gear well.

The rails aren't glued in either by the way but riveted, not clue where that odd rumor came from....

I have one of these a (Studio Flyer Portable Studio Rack
Model: 1SKB19-RSF4U) and I really like it, it has a flip up top that holds my computer, I also had some custom power cables made (shortened) by BTPA so everything fit's nice and neat inside I will try to post some pic's when I get a chance. p.s. it also has a pull out handle and wheels.

Back
Top Bottom