4CM vs all pre?

prsaxeman

Being a Fractal virgin who has taken a Quantum leap from a Line 6 M13 to the FX8 (and just luuuuuurve the pedal), I've got a couple of dumbass questions I hope someone can help me with.

1. I have 2 amps, one's a Mesa Lonestar (gigs) with FX Send and Receive, the other's a solid state (for practice) Blackstar (no Send/Rx). If I set all my presets and scenes up to operate with 4CM, is there an easy one step option to temporarily revert everything to 8/0 Config (no 4CM) for use with the Blackstar when I practice with the band? (The Mesa weighs a ton and the tubes ain't cheap!).

2. It would be really useful to know what sort of effects (blocks) people are using in their (4CM) amp's effects loop and whether they think it makes a big enough difference to the sound to notice, vice Pre Effects only?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Being a Fractal virgin who has taken a Quantum leap from a Line 6 M13 to the FX8 (and just luuuuuurve the pedal), I've got a couple of dumbass questions I hope someone can help me with.

1. I have 2 amps, one's a Mesa Lonestar (gigs) with FX Send and Receive, the other's a solid state (for practice) Blackstar (no Send/Rx). If I set all my presets and scenes up to operate with 4CM, is there an easy one step option to temporarily revert everything to 8/0 Config (no 4CM) for use with the Blackstar when I practice with the band? (The Mesa weighs a ton and the tubes ain't cheap!).

2. It would be really useful to know what sort of effects (blocks) people are using in their (4CM) amp's effects loop and whether they think it makes a big enough difference to the sound to notice, vice Pre Effects only?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

I would make separate presets for each amp. Copy the blocks then edit the pre/post.

I haven't received mine yet but I'll probably only mess with reverb/delays through post but actually like the sound of everything in front of the amp.

As far as what goes before the amp and what goes in the loop, there are no absolutes. I like wha, phaser/vibe, and drives before the amp. Delays, reverb, chorus, tremolo, etc in the loop. I think most would agree with this.

I also use the Global volume control as the first thing in the loop. This allows volume swells without cutting off delay and reverb, and also allows me to reduce volume without effecting the amount of distortion. You may prefer a volume pedal before the drive and preamp if you want the volume pedal to reduce volume and clean up your tone. I use the guitars volume knob for that. Many players seem to have forgotten that their guitar has a volume knob.

Also experiment with the order of the pre effects. I like wha and vibe before the drive. Some may like drives first.

I believe what he means is to use a patch cable on the back of the FX8 and jumper Out (Pre) L/Mono to In (Post) L, then a cable from FX8 Out (Post) L to your amp's input. I use a 3 inch patch cable, and this is what I do when running direct into my amp and not using an amp effects loop. This way I don't have to adjust my preset to worry about pre and post effects. I think it sounds great.

I believe what he means is to use a patch cable on the back of the FX8 and jumper Out (Pre) L/Mono to In (Post) L, then a cable from FX8 Out (Post) L to your amp's input. I use a 3 inch patch cable, and this is what I do when running direct into my amp and not using an amp effects loop. This way I don't have to adjust my preset to worry about pre and post effects. I think it sounds great.

Thank you everyone for your help with this. This forum is a Godsend!

They give you lots of empty spaces to copy your presets. Just have two of each configured two different ways,easy to do on fx8-edit.

They give you lots of empty spaces to copy your presets. Just have two of each configured two different ways,easy to do on fx8-edit.

Thanks for the info, but the jumper cable from Out (Pre) L/Mono to In (Post) L, then a cable from FX8 Out (Post) L to my amp's input works just great (thank you Musicman77). There was no need to reconfig anything. :)

Back
Top Bottom