4cm - Volume Level

deleted

Inspired
I started using the Axe with 4cm today.
When I got to the input settings, my input 2 was set to zero.
If I turn it up, the sound is getting louder until around 20-25%.
Then it doesn't get louder anymore until 100%.
Is that correct? I was thinking that these settings won't affect the actual volume?!
Another thing I noted was that the volume droped after putting the Axe in the chain.
The amp is a Marshall 2525H Mini Jubilee which has an effect loop with a nominal level of -10dBV. Don't know if that has something to do with it?!

Last edited:
Not familiar with the Marshall but you'll need to play with both input & output volumes in the IO menu.
Make sure inputs are set to around 50% & output pads are at 12db (this will improve signal to noise ratio). Set out 2 knob to max & output 1 knob at about 2pm. This becomes your master volume

Thanks for your help :)
I have set it up as recommended and it seems to work quite well.
I guess that the volume increase while turning Input 2 up is a compensation of the -10dBV from the amps effect loop. I did a quick comparison with and without the Axe and the levels seemed to be quite equal if Input 2 is higher than 20/25%.

I have some questions:
Why do you set Input 1 to 50%? There is no signal coming in at this Input, isn't it?
Why do you set Out 1 at around 2pm and not all the way up? According to the manual both outputs should be fully up to use unity gain.

I've found best results for inputs at about 50%, but feel free to play around.
The output 1 is your master volume (goes into your efx return) so it's a convenience thing but also means you get your amp tone at any volume you choose, since you're not moving the amp volume or gain settings

The Input Level (I/O > AD Input Level) is totally irrelant to setting overall volume levels.

Yes, it does attenuate the level somewhat at its lowest setting, but apart from that, it's only provided to make sure you get the least noise.
There's no difference in level between 25% - 50% - 75% for example.

When setting up for 4CM with a series effects loop, set both OUT knobs on the front panel to their maximum position.

No, because it controls the signal level going into your Jubilee's power amp.
An attenuator goes inbetween power amp output and speaker.

Back
Top Bottom