4CM major hiss issue - what am I doing wrong.

Rekster

Experienced
I was playing with my son's FM3 and the 4CM method worked fantastic. Trying to do the same with my AF3 and having problems. The amp is hissing so loud you can barely hear anything but hiss. Nothing is wrong with the amp, or the cable.

I've stripped everything down to the bare minimum to help isolate things - including eliminating the FX loop altogether. I created a preset, which is simply IN1 ---> OUT3 My guitar is going direct into the front of the AF3 and OUT3 is going into the front of my amp. All I hear is hiss. Can't get any simpler than this.. so what am I missing?? I can post a video if it helps.

I was playing with my son's FM3 and the 4CM method worked fantastic. Trying to do the same with my AF3 and having problems. The amp is hissing so loud you can barely hear anything but hiss. Nothing is wrong with the amp, or the cable.

I've stripped everything down to the bare minimum to help isolate things - including eliminating the FX loop altogether. I created a preset, which is simply IN1 ---> OUT3 My guitar is going direct into the front of the AF3 and OUT3 is going into the front of my amp. All I hear is hiss. Can't get any simpler than this.. so what am I missing?? I can post a video if it helps.
Put the boost/pad to 18 in the i/o settings?

Put the boost/pad to 18 in the i/o settings?
It reduces the hiss a little bit but not nearly enough. This is driving me nuts. I did the same setup with the FM3 and it worked flawlessly. I just tried Output4 and had the same result. I must be missing something here.

It reduces the hiss a little bit but not nearly enough. This is driving me nuts. I did the same setup with the FM3 and it worked flawlessly. I just tried Output4 and had the same result. I must be missing something here.
Yeah because if anything the fm3 should be the rough one lol

The other strange thing is the input 1 meter on the front of the AF3 is showing signal remaining long after I play a note and turn the guitar volume down to 0. I play a note then turn the guitar volume down and I see the input meter slowing dropping after 10 seconds. Same thing with rear input.

Just tried adding OUT1 and plugged headphones in. Same problem - major hiss in headphones. Shit.

Ok, I got it. This unit was previously connected to a Focusrite Audio Interface. As such, Word Clock was set to SPDIF/AES IN. Changed it to INTERNAL and hiss is gone. My bad all, I forgot about Word Clock.

Ok, I got it. This unit was previously connected to a Focusrite Audio Interface. A such, Word Clock was set to SPDIF/AES IN. Changed it to INTERNAL and hiss is gone. My bad all, I forgot about Word Clock.
homer-doh.gif

Haha, I knew it was something I was missing. Now if you would have sent me a purchase invite for the FM9 I would be setting up the FM9 in this environment instead of messing around with my studio AF3.. Just saying. Bahaha. :p

I usually stick to my studio monitors and IRs. But there's nothing more fun than setting up 4CM and cranking up through my Mesa TC100 and using a Dual Rectifier tone when I feel like it... The options are limitless. So much fun. :)

Ok, I got it. This unit was previously connected to a Focusrite Audio Interface. As such, Word Clock was set to SPDIF/AES IN. Changed it to INTERNAL and hiss is gone. My bad all, I forgot about Word Clock.
I just picked up a used FM3 and am also having hiss issues. Can you tell me where I can find the Word Clock settings and how they should be adjusted? Thanks!

I just picked up a used FM3 and am also having hiss issues. Can you tell me where I can find the Word Clock settings and how they should be adjusted? Thanks!
I don't have my unit in front of me, but it would be somewhere under Global settings. It should be set to INTERNAL. I can check later if you still can't find it.

I don't have my unit in front of me, but it would be somewhere under Global settings. It should be set to INTERNAL. I can check later if you still can't find it.
I read up on this a little more and I’m not sure this setting is present on the FM3. Did this happen to you with an Axe-3 or the FM3?

Back
Top Bottom