4CM Level Difficulties

JazzMac251

Inspired
I'm running my Axe2 4-cable-method style and I'm having difficulty setting levels for everything. I'm also using a Switchblade 8 to route my signal to and from the Axe2.

The first issue I'm having is simply getting Input 1 to tickle the red. I'm guessing this has something to do with the output level of the guitar signal coming from the Switchblade 8. It's supposed to be at 0dB, but, if it was, I don't think I'd be able to crank the Input 1 level to max and still and not be able to get into red. Something else I find strange is the fact that the Input 1 level setting itself doesn't seem to do much. Going from 50% to 100% seems to produce only a marginal change in levels.

The inverse of the above issue is true for Input 2, which is also being fed by the Switchblade (all ins and outs go through the SB). That's my second issue. Input 2 is HOT. Really hot. Similarly, attempts to back off the Input 2 level also produced marginal changes. I had to bring the level down to below 10% before any meaningful reduction in levels occurred.

I could simply pull down the levels everywhere that has a gain knob/fader, but I'm trying to keep everything as close to unity gain as possible. I feel like doing that will allow the Axe to perform at its best. I'm sure I just biffed a setting somewhere. Any thoughts?

I find it hard to get help with 4cm questions on here.

One of the posts you made I replied to and asked a number of questions. The more background and info you give the more likely someone can help as the question will be focused to your situation. You still provided no further information.

Whether the question is about FRFR, or 4CM the question does need to provide sufficient information on set up and connections and so on for the forum to be able to try to help.

For this OP here there is no information for example on whether the OP can get his guitar to tickle the red bypassing the Switchblade when plugged in directly or how it is cabled and so on.

I can. What do you mean when you ask how it is cabled?

More detail such as.

Guitar type: ?
amp used ?
Switchblade 8 would indicate a number of other devices other than amp and speakers, guitar and Axe FX are being used.

Guitar to device x input 1
Output of device x to input of device y input 1
Etc

That would give the signal routing or even a diagram. Which types of cables are being used TRS to TS etc ?

Then have you tried taking the switchblade out of the set up to begin with and getting that to work ?

Then introduce a new element to a good signal path one at a time so if an issue occurs it isolates where that is and what might be the cause of it. Also if help is needed the step by step methodology will mean that others on the forum will be able to visualise the issue and provide possible help or it may be taking this approach helps you to spot it.

Sorry, I wasn't having a go and I appreciate your help. What I meant was that it seems that most people are using their axe fx direct. It just seems to me that it is not as common therefore doesn't attract as much attention.
One of the posts you made I replied to and asked a number of questions. The more background and info you give the more likely someone can help as the question will be focused to your situation. You still provided no further information.

Whether the question is about FRFR, or 4CM the question does need to provide sufficient information on set up and connections and so on for the forum to be able to try to help.

For this OP here there is no information for example on whether the OP can get his guitar to tickle the red bypassing the Switchblade when plugged in directly or how it is cabled and so on.

Thanks for the response. Sorry I couldn't get back to you right away.

Guitar: HSS Strat
Amp: Naylor Duel 60

For testing purposes, I have the switchblade bypassing everything but the AxeFX2 and the amp, but I also have 2 OD pedals set with pretty hefty output boosts and relatively low gain. Again, though, those are not in the signal chain.

I have tried taking the Switchblade out of the chain and going direct into the front of the Axe. I use this rig FOH occasionally as well. I just tried plugging back into the front of the Axe to confirm that everything is working normal, and, much to my surprise, I found that I was having the same problem. If I strum my guitar extremely hard, I can get the occasional loud transient to spike into the red...SOMETIMES...but that's with the Instr input level jacked to 100%.

Somethin' ain't right...

Ok, with the input clipping and a Strat I don't think you have a problem. I use Strats and depending on the PUPs see this type of thing too.

The tickling the red is a warning of digital clipping and that isn't something that would be desirable a good reference for this is at the link below. Take a look also at Input mode mentioned there just to make sure it is set correctly.

Input levels - Axe-Fx II Wiki

If the input level as the reference is the same either direct or via the switchblade that part is OK.

Initially you also mentioned input 2 being too hot, but have you tried adjusting the level of the output from the switchblade going into it ?

I'm pretty experienced in four cable with the ultra. Have you hooked everything up without the switchblade first to get things sound right? Then it becomes a matter of incorporating the switchblade in to swap out the amp loop and front of amp. Just my 2 cents.

I'm pretty experienced in four cable with the ultra. Have you hooked everything up without the switchblade first to get things sound right? Then it becomes a matter of incorporating the switchblade in to swap out the amp loop and front of amp. Just my 2 cents.

Exactly...

Back
Top Bottom