4CM and feedback at high gain.

Ah, I missed that bit of the puzzle.

So, if your amp's SEND is feeding Input 2 on the Axe, where does that signal go once it gets into Input 2? It probably goes to the FX Loop block, and from there, it goes...right back to your amp's input via Output 2!. Now there's a feedback loop to melt eardrums.

It patches back into the FXL block (by design) and continues along the blank shunts to output 1.

Ah, I missed that bit of the puzzle.

So, if your amp's SEND is feeding Input 2 on the Axe, where does that signal go once it gets into Input 2? It probably goes to the FX Loop block, and from there, it goes...right back to your amp's input via Output 2!. Now there's a feedback loop to melt eardrums.

That's not how the fx loop block works. Signal to Input 2 does not appear at Out 2, it exits the block and heads to the right eventually to the output block, Out 1.

Ok try this... Sorry for all this testing!

Guitar to Axe front input, shunts and fx loop only in layout, Out 1 to amp input, out 1 knob all the way up (maybe do this slowly, but it should be all the way up eventually).

I'm trying to rule out a problem with the fx loop block and in/out 2 on the axe. This is Unity Gain on the axe and it should be exactly the same as guitar straight to amp.

Is your Input volume set correctly? Not too low? (I/O menu) Front input selected in I/O menu as well?

Ok try this... Sorry for all this testing!

Guitar to Axe front input, shunts and fx loop only in layout, Out 1 to amp input, out 1 knob all the way up (maybe do this slowly, but it should be all the way up eventually).

I'm trying to rule out a problem with the fx loop block and in/out 2 on the axe. This is Unity Gain on the axe and it should be exactly the same as guitar straight to amp.

Is your Input volume set correctly? Not too low? (I/O menu) Front input selected in I/O menu as well?

Dude, i love testing, all good.. Test complete.. RESULT: SUCCESS!!!!

Ok, Out 1 behaved the same way as 2, so a faulty output is ruled out, all good.

The gold here was the Input volume you mentioned. I had these on Zero, (all the way off).. I always figured they were noise-floor volumes and not actual volumes, but once i dialled up 30% on Input 1, and 50% on Input 2, BOOM!! (as Ari Gold would say), there it was in all its glory. I have to wait till tmro to do the full gig volume test and feedback test, but just now at the same volume as the recording i did for you, both input patch scenarios sounded identical.
I also tested the rear Input 1 as well, behaves the same way. Tone is restored, i think i'm back in the zone now.

Thanks so much Chris, you're a certified AXE-FX NINJA!

The gold here was the Input volume you mentioned. I had these on Zero, (all the way off).. I always figured they were noise-floor volumes and not actual volumes, but once i dialled up 30% on Input 1, and 50% on Input 2, BOOM!!
They are, essentially. But at extreme settings, they mess with your levels.

Just done the "too loud" gig volume test with all the effect blocks and scenes in play, its pretty damn loud, and its sounds pretty damn spectacular! Guitar Input 1 on 27% and Input 2 on 50%, i am over the moon with this. Axe Rack now back on top of the cab, no more gaining up in Global masters. Rock n roll feedback is very musical and normal, don't need the gate block anymore either.

I reworked my NON-4CM setups (Amp and cab models to FRFR, Output 2 to FOH), I had to dial guitar Input 1 back down between 0 and 10%.

Thanks again! :mrgreen:mrgreen:mrgreen

Back
Top Bottom