432, 440, 444, and the Solfeggio/Leonard Horrowitz Controversy

jesussaddle

Power User
I am a bit of a music theory freak, and I have no idea where the validity is in the Leonard Horrowitz solfeggio material. I have tended to think the "healing pitches" are a misunderstanding and a myth,

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfftTrmhhzo)

I can believe higher specific frequencies do have an effect on aspects of biology, but aside from the very low frequency (brainwave) stuff, I see little acceptable research to indicate healing effects.

I had to pause though and appreciate the videos by the guitarist who released a new Solfeggio-related product. As it stands I won't be buying his product based on promoted healing effects, at least without evidence that counteracts my personal experience with these matters. However, I watched a couple of videos of his performances, and was totally struck by string/keyboard player performing on the bowed instrument on the right, at his exceptionally musical vibrato (at least to my taste).

I am a bit of a vibrato freak, and I have no idea where the validity of vibrato lays, aside from, okay, just kidding. As long as vibrato expresses feeling it is great, and this artist's (Sundui Chimidkhorloo?) vibrato is simply, absolutely awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiLmZRqQDlo

Mr. Michael Tyrrell somewhat shredding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjhyF-NZ6k

Please, anyone, let me know your opinions of use of other tunings than 440 hz, especially any science related to the benefits. Michael Tyrell, like your product or not, you are a good guitarist, thanks for turning me on to your co-artist's amazing vibrato.

Cheers

(I just thought I'd guess as to the approximate frequencies making up such a guitar tuning. E=166.31, A=222, D=296, G=395.11, B=497.81, E=665.24.

I like the method of just tuning down about a half step, although I don't know who started it.

Last edited:
I do agree, seems like snake oil. But I'm not ruling out that there may be some frequencies that may be significant. But the idea that they would somehow be round numbers in relation to the Hertz system (and our system of hours, minutes and seconds) strikes me as far fetched.

Hmm, brown is a highly sought after color in the Van Halen world. Jimi understood that in contrast, orange is young, full of daring, but very unsteady in the first go round. Whereas in the Prince world we should understand that purple is a most highly splendid, even spiritual color. Now, I believe Santana's Europa has some mighty fine colors in it too, like Cyndi Laupers rainbow over Ritchie Blackmore's silver mountain; that was only partly born out of deep, deep purple.

Just to be honest, colors and notes are apples and oranges, but the real fruit is the one that can inspire a dark side on the moon.

432 has been touted as some kind of "universal" frequency, or something...usually tied to images like this...

Screen-Shot-2013-12-24-at-1.22.36-PM.png

which seem to show that 432 has a "pure" resonance, or something like that

what these images don't tell you, is that the size of the container is crucial to get these standing waves. use a slightly bigger one and you can get 440 to do exactly the same thing (or any other frequency, for that matter)

it's all bollocks...especially the theory that we're being "forced" to use 440 because of some conspiracy or other

432 has been touted as some kind of "universal" frequency, or something...usually tied to images like this...

Screen-Shot-2013-12-24-at-1.22.36-PM.png

which seem to show that 432 has a "pure" resonance, or something like that

what these images don't tell you, is that the size of the container is crucial to get these standing waves. use a slightly bigger one and you can get 440 to do exactly the same thing (or any other frequency, for that matter)

it's all bollocks...especially the theory that we're being "forced" to use 440 because of some conspiracy or other

That's exactly it, re the different size container determining the "consonance" I.e. symmetry of the image. I respect people like David Sereda for trying to pinpoint these sorts of resonance things presumably without much music knowledge (blissfully unaware possibly), but I'm baffled that so few have done YouTube rebuttals on the obvious trouble spots (no disrespect implied regarding David Sereda, who is a wonderful, brave, intelligent person). Just a little science re the must theory, please!

If Sereda or one of the others talking "resonance", got on the madmen science boat with Guy Murchie , Viktor Schauberger, or Bruce Cathie, Trevor Constable, et. al. I would not be so frustrated.. These guys at least have a bit of grasp it appears. But the F'ing new age seems to want to pay the salaries of dimwits instead :)

I was thrilled with that "busting the solfeggio myth" vid. I'd like to buy that guy an expensive dinner. There's another very good one concerning why 432 hz is not wot its hyped as, that i wish I could cite here. Numerological and geometric applications are intriguing.

I do feel that ratio is a great indicator of many things, and we are just learning that water actually has a "fourth state" and so fourth. Musicians with science knowledge are essential. Dangerous, but essential..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom