4 space rack utilization (wireless, axe, matrix1u)

Keg8605

Power User
So i've searched through a lot of threads. Trying to find ideas and power options to keep myself in a 4 space rack.

I need to fit the axe, matrix or art sla, and my line 6 wireless g55 and a good way to power it all. I may also need to put a small audio interface in there soon too.

I have a 6 space but it's just so much bulkier than my 4 space. I like how close the 4 space is to my side when carrying it.

Any ideas, photos from people with similar setups?

My biggest hurdle seems to be a decent small power strip or half rack conditioner, or something with a detachable power cable.

I use a 3 space. Power can be handled externally in such a small rack.

Here's what I've been using for about 1 1/2 years; it's a 4-space powered rack with wheels (4U plus the built in Power supply). I have mine loaded with Axe-FX II, Line6 G90, and Matrix GT1000FX.
http://www.gatorcases.com/p/29201-1563/grr-4pl-us

The rack itself is compact enough and not over-sized, has plenty of room in the back, and I like the wheels design (and makes it easy on my back). I have had zero problems.
I was cautious at first, since the built-in power is not readily swappable (ie in case of failure), but as I said, it has worked flawless.

Hi, I got this "cause -I need wheels, The 1SKB-R4W 4U Roto Rolling Rack. SKB Roto Molded Rolling Rack Case
It also has rails front AND back so where ever your power strip is, front or back, you can mount your G-55 (HALF RACK SPACE)on the same space on the other side, as most power strips are shallow. I use the Monster 2500 power strip because turns everything off and on in sequence so you don't have to! Monster Power PRO 2500 PowerCenter | Sweetwater.com
Example:FRONT RAIL( top to bottom)G-55 / your audio interface(IF BOTH ARE HALF RACK SPACE) in 1st U space. / Axe Fx / Matrix .
BACK RAIL, Monster 2500 power strip
The key here is to check dimension specs of whatever case you use and if it has back rails. I know this one works because I own it. Good Luck!:encouragement:

Last edited:
For half rack audio interfaces, check out th motu ultralite. I just got one and it's killer as a mini rack mixer for small gigs.

I have been researching those as I will eventually need one for my macbook synths live. I think those are a bit out of my range.

For the 1/2 rack power - either handle it externally as suggested, or, there's a furman powerport that I've been looking at that seems to be good, but expensive........

A regular 4 space gator here, and a furman plug lock in the back if you have wall warts in your rack, or a small power strip.. I use the metal lid container useless thingys on the back to ziptie my ps for my midi pedal to. I'm thinking of going to the roller skb.

Using a 4-space, although 3 would be even easier to handle.
Axe-Fx II, plus Vafam front panel (so handy! provides ins/outs and power), and Matrix power amp.

To make things fit into available space, consider leaving out the wireless. Or don't sacrifice rack space to a dedicated power unit; just use a simple 19" power strip (with on/off, no LEDs etc.) which you can mount on the rear rack rails, on the same height as for example the Matrix/SLA.

The powerstrip may have a long power cable, but that's easily fixed by cutting and fitting two plugs.

Last edited:
Guys I really appreciate your replies. I recently moved to a 3rd floor condo no elevator so I have been stripping down my axe rig weight. I wish I would have done this all sooner. Axe, studio monitors, macbook pro, good ath-m50's. etc. Practicing and playing is so much more fun and QUIET.

I do like the wireless. Never had one and its fun. I'm sure I'll get over it someday though haha.

Yek - I'm really interested in a possible power strip on the back rack or velcro'ed down or something. The biggest issue is the power cable. Its annoying. That is why I like that rack with 5 outlets (above). Its expensive though. Do they make any that have a detached power cable or something?

Yek - I'm really interested in a possible power strip on the back rack or velcro'ed down or something. The biggest issue is the power cable. Its annoying. That is why I like that rack with 5 outlets (above). Its expensive though. Do they make any that have a detached power cable or something?

Picture of the 19" power strip. I just cut the cable and mounted an EC connector. And mounted the opposite connector on the extension cable. You can screw the strip onto the rear rack rails, or velcro it on top or bottom.

strip.jpg

Last edited:
So i've searched through a lot of threads. Trying to find ideas and power options to keep myself in a 4 space rack.

I need to fit the axe, matrix or art sla, and my line 6 wireless g55 and a good way to power it all. I may also need to put a small audio interface in there soon too.

I have a 6 space but it's just so much bulkier than my 4 space. I like how close the 4 space is to my side when carrying it.

Any ideas, photos from people with similar setups?

My biggest hurdle seems to be a decent small power strip or half rack conditioner, or something with a detachable power cable.

Use your 4 space and have VAFAM build you a panel with powercons connections so all your cabling can be removed. Here is what I did and it's really slick.

Yea I actually already have a best tronics panel for my old ultra rig that I think I might incorporate too. They are local and always take good care of me. I might have to see if they can help me clean up the setup. Power in the back of the rack seems like the only way to make it work. What always freaks me out with adding a panel plus power in the is if something comes un plugged and its terribly inaccesible. Definitely want a power con though.

Shure P4M (personal monitor mixer) and a P4T (PSM 400 transmitter) I hardwire the signal next to my guitar cable and use "Alien Ears" molded triple drivers, I mix a little Axe II and vocals as well as use a CFR foldback with a mix of both also. FWIW.
Hey, supersonic, what mixer and what IEM is in your rack?

Back
Top Bottom