4-Cables Method Hi-Gain Question

JIMMY G

Inspired
I'm using my Axe-Fx set-up in the 4 cable method into a 100w head and when I'm using the high gain channel I get lots of noise. It's been quite a few years since I had a real amp, so would a noise gate in front of the amp input stop the noise or would it go in the effects loop or both? I tried putting noise gates in my presets but it only helps a little bit. I have a comp and drive before the effects loop in the preset and a delay and reverb after the loop. I don't have a gate to try so I was just wondering if that would help before I buy one. I also have hum buster cables coming but its gain noise I think.

I use high gain amps in 4CM & don't believe there's a need for a compressor on gain sounds (clean - yes, dirty - no).
Gates go after the efx loop before delays & reverbs. Use the gates in the Axe - don't buy one, they work just fine

I had the gate after the delay and verb I'll try moving it and see if that works thanks for your input.

I'm running the same setup too.. I put a noise gate right after my actual amp (which is the FX Loop in the Axe, on Axe edit) and the noise/hiss goes away immediately. Works really well. I have the main gate on at all times, obviously, and I also use a gate after the amp.

When using the 4cm do I need a cab block as well or is my real cab all I need?..it sounds kind of boomy when I use a cab block..maybe I just need to play with levels more?

When using the 4cm do I need a cab block as well or is my real cab all I need?..it sounds kind of boomy when I use a cab block..maybe I just need to play with levels more?
If you're running a real cab, the cab block is unnecessary. Muffles the sound, too. :)

I guess you'd need a cab block if you were doing/running an FRFR setup, but given that you're using a real cab, there's no need for a cab block at all mate.

Like the other guy said, humbuster cables are needed to really reduce the hum too.. And definitely put a noise gate right after the FX LOOP block (FX LOOP on Axe Edit is basically your actual amp, not an amp sim).

I guess you'd need a cab block if you were doing/running an FRFR setup, but given that you're using a real cab, there's no need for a cab block at all mate.

Like the other guy said, humbuster cables are needed to really reduce the hum too.. And definitely put a noise gate right after the FX LOOP block (FX LOOP on Axe Edit is basically your actual amp, not an amp sim).
Thanx Georgy

Back
Top Bottom