4 cable method?

Heath Walker

Hey I'm new to the fractal ax8. I've been running it in the 4 cable method through my amp. I was wondering if anyone out there uses this method? I run the ax8 through my Marshall 1959 RI. I like the Marshalls' distortion and use that as my main distorted channel. My question is how do I get a good clean sound using the fractal. I have the cab sim and amp modeling both turned off. I've been messing around with the fender twin reverb amp block trying to find a good clean sound. I feel like maybe where I am running my Marshall amp so hot for the distorted sound, its not letting me get a good crisp clean sound that I'm wanting and tends to break up very early. any thoughts? Thank you for reading my lengthy question. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I occasionally use 4-cable method with an amp, but for effects only. I have not tried running an amp sim back into the effects return of my amp. If I'm going to use an amp sim, I always use it with a cab block and go direct/FRFR.

If you have too much gain dialed in with your amp you are not gong to be able to generate a clean sound with the AX8. Your guitar signal is still hitting the front end of the amp so any preamp gain that you have dialed in on the amp will still be present. If this is a channel switching amp, then use the amp's clean channel and dial it in so that it's totally clean. Also, make sure you have the amp block in the effects loop of the amp and not in the preamp.

If you have both cab and amp modeling turned off, then what's the point of using the Fender Twin Reverb amp block?

I occasionally use 4-cable method with an amp, but for effects only. I have not tried running an amp sim back into the effects return of my amp. If I'm going to use an amp sim, I always use it with a cab block and go direct/FRFR.

If you have too much gain dialed in with your amp you are not gong to be able to generate a clean sound with the AX8. Your guitar signal is still hitting the front end of the amp so any preamp gain that you have dialed in on the amp will still be present. If this is a channel switching amp, then use the amp's clean channel and dial it in so that it's totally clean. Also, make sure you have the amp block in the effects loop of the amp and not in the preamp.

If you have both cab and amp modeling turned off, then what's the point of using the Fender Twin Reverb amp block?

Thanks,

If you are going to use the ax-8 ampsims you just have to disable the loop block on the ax.
Then your signal will go direct to the poweramp !

I'm confused with this. Wouldn't disabling the loop block put everything in the front of the amp?

With 4-cable method I put drives and wha in front of the amp and put delays and reverb in the loop. You could also put the amp block in the loop (power amp in on the amp) this way.

I'm confused with this. Wouldn't disabling the loop block put everything in the front of the amp?
You'd bore putting everything in front of the power amp, which is exactly what
you want when you're using the AX8's internal amp sims.

Last edited:
I run the Fender twin AX8 amp into the return side of the effects loop on my Friedman Dirty Shirley mini and it sounds very good. That way I only use the power amp section. It surprised me that I like doing it that way better than using a FRFR cab. Lot less to hae to dial in. I do have the cab and power amp sims turned off. Going thru a Friedman cab with a creamback speaker.

Back
Top Bottom