4 Cable Method Users: Output 2 severe hiss issues

Luca9583

Inspired
Hi guys

I've seen several posts about this already but wanted to try and get to the bottom of this issue.

I tried the 4 cable method with a Marshall JVM 410 head and it's instantly obvious that Output 2 (used to feed the front end of the head in the 4CM setup) is really hissy and unusable. What seems very strange is that if you use Output 1 instead (to just use the Axe II in front of the head without any post preamp effects) there is hardly any hiss at all and everything sounds great(like a huge collection of stomp boxes). There's no two ways about this..Output 2 is simply full of hiss (something i also noticed when using it as an fx loop with external stomp boxes). This is with no fx blocks at all, just the fx loop block for the 4CM itself.

I came up with a semi solution which is to put the pad all the way up on Output 2, which drops the level a huge amount, and to then bring the level back up using the level control in the fx loop block itself. The problem with this is that to get your signal back to the "dry" gain level that you'd get when plugging your guitar direct into your amp head, you end up getting a lot of clipping in the Axe II, which affects how the head's overdrive channels sound. If you then back down on the fx loop block's level to eliminate the clipping, your signal goes below the required level of gain which screws everything up.

It seems like there's a real flaw in the Axe II's capabilites for 4 Cable Method.

Another solution i thought about would be to run 2 independent rows in the grid..one for front end effects and one for amp head fx loop effects. The trouble with that is that you can't setup and route Input/Output 2 because they are always part of the fx loop block. The other possibility is then to use the Left side of Input/Output 1 for front end fx and the right side of Input/Output 1 for post fx but this would almost certainly cause major hum and would make stereo fx no longer possible.

Furthermore, i would be running the 4CM with an Fx Gizmo to keep both the front end and post fx sections of the Axe II in true bypass when not in use so that my head's tone remains intact, but this still means i get the hiss when engaging the front end fx form the Axe. Meanwhile, because the post fx are coming out of the Axe's Output 1, they don't have any added hiss at all, it's just Output 2 that seems to ruin the signal path!!!!

Any 4CM users got any ideas or solutions? If i've understood correctly, the humbuster technology is for hum and not hiss, right?

This is of great interest to me as well. I have read the several threads you are referring to but there is never a real answer. I am using humbuster cables and experience this hiss as well. I will say that prior to using the humbuster cables there was a bit of hum, too, but now it is just hiss. I have resorted to using a gate/expander block after the FX Loop block to get rid of the hiss. I consistently see one to two of the led's on the Input 2 (fx return) meter lit up, and I'll have the volume completely turned down on the guitar. This is not an issue with the guitar cable I am using, as the Input 1 led is not lit at all when I am seeing Input 2 lit. I have the boost/pad set to 9 dB, which is as high as it will go without clipping Out 2. This is all working at an acceptable level, I just wanted to share my experiences related to this topic and also would like to know what is the root cause of the hiss on output 2. I do not experience hiss with output 1, same as the OP. I have humbuster cables on both output 1 and output 2. Any thoughts?

Humbuster wiring does help to eliminate a lot of hum and noise. Hiss on the other hand may be an issue. I'm running into a few speed bumps using the FX loop and noise myself.

Humbuster wiring does help to eliminate a lot of hum and noise. Hiss on the other hand may be an issue. I'm running into a few speed bumps using the FX loop and noise myself.

To be clear, the Humbuster only eliminate ground loop noise. The do not eliminate any other kind of noise.

Can we get an official answer to this from someone at Fractal because this issue keeps coming up.

Can silence be profiled(or should I say matched) and then applied to output 2 ?? lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom