4 cable method: Sounds great but getting annoying HUM ?????

axecellent

Inspired
photo-516.jpgHey 4CM guys...It would be great if you guys could help me get rid of this annoying HUM or buzzing I'm getting from my setup when using the 4 cable method.
I've been trying to figure this out all day and can't seem to get rid of this buzz or hum if you want to call it that.

I have everything connected perfectly like the manual states.
Everything is plugged into my power conditioner, everything in the rack is grounded properly to the rack.
All the cables are in perfect working order.

just can't get rid of this stupid buzzing and humming...

I'm getting really tired of fighting with the axe fx with every single setup I try to do....
I've had jams lately with the axe fx 2 and I'm not all gone on the FOH setup....
I've decided to use the axe fx 2 for recording only....its great for that.

I've tried the matrix power amp and cabs....not working for me either

So, now I've tried using the axe fx 2 for effects and using the 4CM...I like the tone but I hate the HUM and Buzz i'm getting...

Has anyone here experienced this??

if I can't get this to work, then its back to my marshals and 4x12's again....which is a shame. :(

I've finally found the way that I like using the axefx 2for jamming and playing with my band and now I can't seem to work this problem out...

man this rig is going to be the death of me, lol Stress is not the word! ugggghhhh

here is my setup:

marshall JVM410JS 4x12 cab (with FX loop)
Rivera Chubster 55 (with FX loop)
Axe FX 2
4CM

Thanks guys, I'd appreciate your help. :)

what are humbuster cables? I've been using these cables to configure all my routing over the past year and no problems at all...its not the cables for sure....in every other configuration they are quiet as a mouse...lol sorry. I've been reading up on this and I'm apparently not the only one out there having this issue...which sucks! I hope this can be done like the manual says....otherwise, theres's going to be a lot of angry people out there real soon...

In all the routings i've ever done i've never experienced so much noise in my life...aweful stuff for a $8000 rig...I'm about to put it on kijiji...lol

There has to be something I can do on the AXE FX 2 itself....its just something simple....some signal seems to be too hot or something.

thanks.

ah....i see now...did some reading and i had no idea about this humbuster technology in the axe fx 2...
correct me if I'm wrong, so, I need these cables to rectify the problem because the axe fx 2 connections are all "balanced connections" and the FX loop send/returns and the front instrument input on my amps are "unbalanced"?
From what i'm reading, this is what I get from it...

so I need a cable made up that's constructed as follows:

TIP/Ring/Sleeve---------------TIP/SLEEVE ??

and since I'm using 4 cables with the setup that run from the axe fx 2 to my amps....I need 4 cables constructed like this?

Another question guys, can i buy these at a regular electronics store? or musical Instrument dealer?

Thanks for your help Yek, GiRa and stratamania!!! much appreciated.

cheers!

You would only need two cables constructed like that. From the Axe FX output 2 to the front of your amp, and the Axe FX output 1 to the fx loop return of your amp. In other words, whatever cable is sending signal from your Axe FX to your amp.
Some have had another issue with 4CM that was hiss rather than hum. I would try the humbuster cables first but if you're having an issue with hiss there are other threads that talk about a mod to the Axe FX II output.

BTW, I made those cables by purchasing a 6 ft stereo cable and cutting it into two 3 ft cables and soldered a TS plug on each of the cut ends.

Or, if you have a EBtech Hum Elimator you can use TS to TRS cables (the HE2 has 2 channels on it also) to do the same thing.....

I came from a TC Gsystem and used an HE2 (Hum Eliminator). I don't get much hum from my tube amp (Splawn Quickrod) when I use it in 4CM....just a slight hum. When I use the HE2 it eliminated the noise.

A lot may have to do with your effects loop, but I believe the new JVM410JS model has an all serial effects loop....which is a good thing when playing with 4CM. Should sound great

The Humbuster cable essentially does the same thing as the HE2 - you are making a cable that has a TS connector on one end and a TRS connector on the other end.

ah...correct me if I'm wrong, so, I need these cables to rectify the problem because the axe fx 2 connections are all "balanced connections" and the FX loop send/returns and the front instrument input on my amps are "unbalanced"?
From what i'm reading, this is what I get from it.
Nope. You need these cables as a way to reduce the added noise caused by adding a few dozen dB of gain (your amp) into your rig, which shaves a few dozen dB off of of your signal-to-noise ratio. With Humbuster, the Axe senses the noise and sends an equal-but-opposite signal to cancel it out.

I sent my Axe-Fx II back for a "special adjustment" and that hum is gone! Email them and ask about the procedure. I highly recommend it for the 4 cable method. I use the Axe Fx II along with a Marshall Malmstein and a Diezel Herbert and on a good night I have heard the word of God!

I tried all of the aforementioned methods and they do help. However, you will likely need the "procedure" (surgery done by the Axe-Fx pros). Email them and they will explain. I sent my back (and was quite hesitant to do so) and I could not be more pleased with the results. I finally captured that ethereal tone in my head that others erroneously attribute to "It's in the fingers man!" With the Axe Fx II, the 4 cable method and a Diezel and Marshall, I have reached enlightenment.

To the OP and any others that would like some background from the TC forums. This white paper was written by one of the guys on the TC forums when dealing with the G-system unit. The Gsystem is an effects only processor and there are no AMP models. But, this white paper gives a heck of a lot of background on the issues concerning 4CM and the like....very detailed. This may give you some answers and also a better uderstanding of the 'noise' issues - it is all explained. enjoy

http://www.guitaraffair.com/pdfs/g-system-configuration-and-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

FractalAudio THIS IS A COPY FROM AN OLD THREAD. I had the procedure done and it eliminated all noise. But you may have only a ground problem and no hiss.
Administrator
Output 2 is wideband by design. Under most circumstances this is desirable. However, if you put Output 2 into a high-gain amp the wideband noise will intermodulate into the audible frequencies. We can modify the unit to reduce the bandwidth of Output 2 if desired and this will reduce the apparent noise when input into a high-gain amplifier.

I do NOT recommend this modification for most users.

scrapped the idea...too much fuss..I want to play not shag with this crap...sucks the fun out of it if you know what I'm saying...i'm using my marshall live now...keeping the axe fx for recording purposes only...lol

cheers

Last edited:
I tried a bunch of different things...used it with my band but the amp alone with no effects whatsoever sounds better to my ear...my band agrees but they love the recorded sounds...two different worlds as we all know... :) i wish i could figure out the ins and outs of the axe ...they really need a better manual or better step by step video on how to tweak this monster...i've watched them all but they only helped in some areas...

cheers

Back
Top Bottom