4.0 Changing Presets By Itself

Tone Ranger

I am using OMG9 layout.
Regardless if the USB or FC-6 is CONNECTED OR NOT the presets randomly increment anywhere from once a minute to 20 per minute. I installed 3.02 and 3.03 Re-installed OMG-9, reinstalled presets, System+GB+FC from backup. Of course I have gigs both nights this weekend.

Last edited:
Maybe back up your presets, then upload the latest firmware to see if it fixes the problem.
i suspect it’s the cable between FM3 and FC though

Are the changes "random" or are they always going up (or down)?

Could be the jog wheel or one of the buttons is sticking.

They increment only.. But it does behave as if there is a button stuck but i have looked with magnification to see if a small object has wedged the arrow buttons but I cannot see anything.

I am now seeing that the jog (value) encoder is Not working correctly. Constant clockwise rotation results in both increment and decrement every couple of detents. I dont use the knob, I only use FM# Edit. I REALLY need to disable that knob before tomorrow.

backup your presets/layouts etc, do a factory reset see if its still doing it, if so then I go with @Tahoebrian5 recommendation to update f/w

I installed 3.02 and 3.03 and 4.0. Re-installed OMG-9, reinstalled presets, System+GB+FC from backup. As well as Reset System Parameters.
Is there another reset I can do?

if its was me I'd do this in order, disconnect everything from the unit, factory reset, if problem persists after factory reset and nothing connected I'd be tempted to spin the jog wheel a bunch to see if it cant be fixed by excessive motion, and or power spray air into the wheel, needless to say contact support when they open..

yes, looks like this is the link how too, https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Reset_system_parameters
I'd be tempted to do delete everything too and see if that fixes it i.e. no presets cabs see link ,
or use the emergency boot and roll back to pre cygnus fw..

Axe-Fx III​

Use the commands in the Utility menu to reset all system parameters (Global (including Perform screens), I/O, MIDI, Tuner, FC controllers).

The Utility menu also lets you delete all presets and all user cabs. You can reload the Factory presets with Fractal-Bot.

If a problematic system parameter prevents the Axe-Fx III or FM3 from booting, holding EDIT on startup bypasses non-default system settings and resets them. Press-and-hold both EDIT and HOME at startup to bypass and reset the system settings AND load a clean preset.

Use Fractal-Bot to load firmware onto the device.

You can also revert to a previous firmware version using the emergency bootloader:

1. Power on holding both PAGE LEFT and PAGE RIGHT buttons until the Emergency Utility page appears
  2. Update using Fractal-Bot.
A system reset also resets the FC Controllers settings. Use the editor to save and restore these settings.

I don't think resetting or upgrading/downgrading software is going to solve anything.

There are not any settings or config that would cause this to happen with nothing else connected.

Most likely you've got a defective jog wheel.

I suggest contacting support.

Jog wheels or most other encoders use mechanical/electrical contacts to actuate up or down impulses.
If the encoder is dirty or defective it will most likely have to be replaced.
In the meantime, you might try to shake a dirt particle loose by rotating rapidly back and forth until the issue stops. And then just don't touch it.
Support will help you with this of course.

Another way to "handle" this temporarily is go to the Perform-PP page. (Press Home and then Page Right).
Park yourself there during your gig. The wheel will do nothing during that time. You can change presets and the unit will stay on the Perform page and will not change presets as it is no longer "connected" to the Preset Change function.

Thanks, good info.
I found a sweet spot on the encoder and put painters tape on it to get me through the weekend. I ordered a new unit from Fractal as a backup to use while i send this one back.
Great.
Otherwise do the Perform Page trick. Then you're 100% sure nothing will go wrong mid set.

Back
Top Bottom