3U vs 4U rack for ax3 ?

I have a 4 space rack. In front is a cheap Zilla power distro unit (with lights) and the Axe-Fx. In back is my Line6 G90 wireless receiver and a patch panel. It's a tight fit but it has worked out great for me.

I never worried about power regulation with the Axe-FX because IIRC the unit already has that built-in. But to mirror what someone else said earlier, you can never have too many outlets at a gig and that's why I have one.

I ended up buying another one of those SKB fly racks. I had a 6u one where I had power conditioner, Axe III, and a Matrix power amp all hooked up. I decided to use the 6u rack for my mixer setup at home and went with a 4u one which has just my power conditioner and axe III in. That's all I need now since buying some Red Sound powered FRFR cabs. Plus I can plug those into my power conditioner as well and not worry about them.

SKB do make a 3u version of this as well if you're interested. I use the case to put the fly rack on top at a gig. Works great!

https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/prodlist.php?c=160&s=80

IMG_0103.jpeg

From What I read so far, it looks like most of you guys are using power conditioners with your ax3.

I always thought that this is a “must have” tool for tube amps, as they change a lot with power fluctuations.

Does this apply to ax3 also ?
They don't hurt, and most include some spike suppression and maybe a line voltage meter and/or rack lights.

I have a 6-space rack with a Furman and a 2-space drawer for keeping related stuff handy....

From What I read so far, it looks like most of you guys are using power conditioners with your ax3.

I always thought that this is a “must have” tool for tube amps, as they change a lot with power fluctuations.

Does this apply to ax3 also ?
I don't play any older venues so I just use a Furman SS-6B power strip. I still think surge protection is wise plus the SS-6B offers some EMI and RFI noise reduction as well. I occasionally play in an auditorium introduces some noise from the lighting system to my signal and the Furman took care of it.

I have a feeling somebody could make a killing if they developed a mass-produced 1U patch bay for the AxeFX. I see so many people making up their own, there's gotta be a market for it.

I have a termination panel for an AxeII for sale that I could change out a couple of the connectors to optimize it for a AxeIII. Cost would depend on how you wanted it configured. It was originally professionally built, but I am not sure what company built it since I am selling it for the family of a friend who had it built but passed away.

If you switch to a Furman M-8x2, it will fit in the rear of a shallow rack behind the QLXD4s. I have a very similar 4u setup with the AX3, GLXD4R, and M-8x2. Everything in an SKB 4U rack with the FC12 on top: https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=1187&offset=&c=160&s=80
That may or may not work for me as I have antenna combiner's in the back (so I only setup one set of antenna on the front). That, in combination with power plugs probably won't fit. If I can get one locally I'll pick one up to try it out, thanks!

That may or may not work for me as I have antenna combiner's in the back (so I only setup one set of antenna on the front). That, in combination with power plugs probably won't fit. If I can get one locally I'll pick one up to try it out, thanks!
there's quite a bit of space actually, this is mine:

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 37
I switched to 4 RU initially for vertical stability. If my unit isn’t sitting on top of another rack then I prefer it to stand vertically on its own. 3RU doesn’t quite have the solid base when standing on end. Gives me easier access to controls as well.

I route all my connections to the side instead.

Hi! Where did you get this case? Custom built with the connections on the side?

I wanna buy a rack for my ax3 only.

What are the benefits to use 4U rack instead of 3U rack for ax3 ?

Or are they any benefits, if there’s no other gear that will be mounted together ?
No benefit if you're not going to have other gear with it, but that's just asking for trouble if you don't. You realy want to leave room for a power conditioner/ups. If you're investing $$$ you want the built-in insurance policy. Absolutely crazy not to and preemptive I-told-you-so if you don't. Additionally if you buy a 2U case you will be wanting the extra room almost immediately anyway. In other words a 2U rack has buyer's remorse built right into it.

In other words there is no benefot to a 2U rack.

Back
Top Bottom