3rd Party IRs a solution for stemming off "obsolescence"?

JoKeR III

Fractal Fanatic
With all of the fear and lamenting of the AX8's looming demise (tongue in cheek), the thought occurred to me that keeping current with IR technology would increase the longevity of the AX8. Sure, firmware updates are cool and all but since it's not likely to see any more, what are our options?

There have been modelers that have benefited from using 3rd party IRs but they weren't able to be used/loaded in the unit itself, ala the Eleven Rack. The Eleven Rack is still renowned for having more than decent amp modeling but mediocre cab modeling. Having to load IRs into a DAW just isn't practical for live use but it clearly showed the importance of IRs in relation to a modeler's tone. The Helix is another example of benefiting from 3rd party IRs; taking really good sounding amp modeling to the next level, in some cases extremely close to the AX8.

The AX8 is still ahead of the competition in feel and realism when it comes to amp modeling and isn't going to change or diminish over time. Keeping current with new IR technologies and breakthroughs, like Fractal's Far-Field IRs, as well as creating your own IR mixes with programs like Cab Lab, similar to the capability of the Axe-Fx III's cab block, may keep the AX8 more relevant than some expect well into the future.

The ax8 either does already sound as good as real amp or it doesn't. If it does there is no need for someone like me to ever need anything else as long as it doesn't break.

As far as ir's it may depend on if the technology changes where it is not able to use the new type of files.

Several years ago Lincoln Brewster swore a Pod X3 was good enough and he wasn't losing anything in his tone. So either some professionals are fooling themselves, getting paid to endorse or modeling still has a ways to go. Metallica uses an axii to replace real amps. Why would a band who could have anything and doesn't have to lug their own equipment cut any corners in sound?

So my point is unless you want more cpu or more amp models you should be able with some tweaking get anything you want already. I personally will not be buying the FM3 but I also do not play professionally.

The ax8 either does already sound as good as real amp or it doesn't. If it does there is no need for someone like me to ever need anything else as long as it doesn't break.

This comment is generally where I land on the subject.

I also understand the point of the OP, and even have to agree with the point, for the most part.

According to many users on this forum the AX8 has been a huge source of acquiring a fantastic tone that they can't really achieve even with traditional amps... Until the new firmware is released, then it sounds so much better. I'm teasing a little bit with that comment, but it seems to be true.

This leaves me with the question, how much better can the tone get on a practical level before it no longer sounds like real guitar tone? If it keeps getting better and better, at some point wouldn't it morph into Fractal's version of guitar tone and away from real world guitar tone? As it is, I believe it's possible to tweak the tone to where it sounds a little too studio-like for a good live (real?) tone. Not as a rule, but as a possibility. This of course depends on genre and type of band it's used in.

So to the OP, I agree that new IRs and possibly even exploration of 3rd party presets will be ways to keep an AX8 fresh for us stubborn owners who continue to be satisfied with it. I do only see it as tweaking and customizing though. A continued way to see that the AX8 fits your needs and goals more specifically, but not necessarily a way to inherently upgrade the tone. Each user needs to customize its features to fit their needs. Whether it's with stock IRs or by buying them from 3rd parties.

As far as ir's it may depend on if the technology changes where it is not able to use the new type of files.
I am pretty much in agreement with all you have said. It is the reference to "technology changes" which gives me pause for concern. I am highly-reliant upon the AX8 Edit software for much of my AX8 use and tone adjustments. There is already concern about the future of the AX8 Edit being able to run on future operating system versions. That is my worry at this time -- what about when I have to up-grade my computer? Can I still use AX8 Edit, or will it be unable to run at that time?

I am pretty much in agreement with all you have said. It is the reference to "technology changes" which gives me pause for concern. I am highly-reliant upon the AX8 Edit software for much of my AX8 use and tone adjustments. There is already concern about the future of the AX8 Edit being able to run on future operating system versions. That is my worry at this time -- what about when I have to up-grade my computer? Can I still use AX8 Edit, or will it be unable to run at that time?

I get that. I guess that could be an issue. Just like pro tools 2019.5 does not work on my old windows 8 machine. This may be my last year paying for upgrades since it seems they arent bringing out much new anyway. So in the same way my suggestion is start saving your money now for when you can't use it any more. By time you got the money the fractal ax 5000 will be out and it will play the guitar for you.

Back
Top Bottom