3rd party controllers vs FC-6

I have been contemplating getting an FC-6 for the increased flexibility it would offer me. I have seen some people's posts about other controller options like the AIRSTEP and Morningstar MC6 and I'm curious; those of you who have purchased the 3rd party controllers, how difficult is it to configure the FM3 to one? I like the fact that these 3rd party controllers are smaller and less expensive, but am concerned it may be more difficult to setup and could be a more complicated workflow than the FC-6 would be.

I use the FM3 with a FC6. That said, I have an MC6 that I use with an HX Stomp. In following another forum thread I tried out the procedure outlined in the following video. It took me all of 5 minutes to integrate the 2 devices. There is no question that the FC6 is the more flexible solution. On the other hand if you don’t live on continental N.A. the price of something like the MC6 or an AIRSTEP might be more attractive.

The other plus for a MIDI controller is that, well, it’s a MIDI controller and so generic in its application. That said I’m using the FM3 as an application specific MIDI controller because the robust construction of the FM3 and the spacing of the switches in this instance makes the whole process much easier to manage.

It really depends on which features are more important to you. I LOVE the setlist option, screen label customization, multiple layouts, etc. of my LF+ JR+ and would only move to a different controller that offered these options, like a RJM.

I have been contemplating getting an FC-6 for the increased flexibility it would offer me. I have seen some people's posts about other controller options like the AIRSTEP and Morningstar MC6 and I'm curious; those of you who have purchased the 3rd party controllers, how difficult is it to configure the FM3 to one? I like the fact that these 3rd party controllers are smaller and less expensive, but am concerned it may be more difficult to setup and could be a more complicated workflow than the FC-6 would be.
Everything is more complicated than the FC6... but the FC6 is a bit $$$ and takes up a lot of space. I sold my FC6 and got a simple Mosky dual foot switch for $17. Took me about an hour to configure the two foot switches as stand in foot switches. All good now

I love my FC 12, but there are a few things I'd like that it can't do, and a few more that take more messing around than I've so far managed to attempt.

However, next step up from there is an RJM, which I bet I'd love, but I just can't see spending that kind of money.

Check out the Voes MX-line.

Syncs with the Axe-Fx III / FM3. Syncs preset name, scene name, active scene, block on/off state, block selected channel, tuner, tempo, looper,...

3 Pages, 2 fully programmable
On each page every button has normal press and long press.

Comes in 6 different models (5, 6, 9, 12 2x6, 12 3x4, 18)

The MX-12 3x4 has roughly the same size as the FC6, but double amount of buttons at a very competitive price and only needs 1 cable to connect to the Axe-Fx III / FM3 for midi and power.

More info on www.voes.be

MX-12 & FM3:

MX-12 & FM3:

VF-cable:

MX-5 & FM3:

mx12_3x4-03.jpg

I'm a big fan of the FCB1010; I have a series of videos on YouTube that shows you how to set it up with the Axe Fx III (but the setup would be the same)

That said, now that I'm using my FM3 full-time, I just stick to the built-in 3 switches and use Bluetooth MIDI sent from my iPad and OnSong to handle a lot of the work which negates the need for additional physical switches.

It was extremely hard for me to make the decision on which foot controller to use with the AxeFX iii. The FC12 is really convenient, aligns perfectly with the AxeFX iii, it’s literally a “plug and play” application. I’m not a big “multiple patch per song/set list” kind of guy so even the FC6 should have been sufficient for me. But I’ve loved the RJM stuff for so long and I’ve been enamored with their products…..and since you only live once, I pulled the trigger on the GT22. Should arrive Monday. I’ll finally have the rig I’ve drooled over for a couple of years haha. Ron and Sherri are great at customer service…..that’s not to say that the guys in New Hampshire are not. They’ve helped me through some difficult moments with an Ultra I owned a few years ago. Both companies are outstanding.

I don’t like the FC. They are ridiculously expensive in Europe and they are bigger than I would like.

Having screens is nice but my XSonic Airstep is modular with the Airstep Lite and wireless with the CME WIDI master dongle. It comes with a preset that works with the FM3 straight away. The 10 switch Airstep+Lite bundle is still over 100 euros cheaper than the FC6 and will work with any MIDI compatible gear. I have presets for FM3 and my pedalboard.

I looked into both the Morningstar MC models and the Airstep and since I'm in the US, the price difference wasn't significant enough for me to not go with the FC-6.

I’m using the Melo audio Midi Commander: You can download a driver for fm3 scene functions or set the pedal in cc# factory functions . 10 buttons for only U.S. 150$.

Attachments

• 151AE98E-8528-4992-A02F-73D88E0AF7EC.jpeg
    151AE98E-8528-4992-A02F-73D88E0AF7EC.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
Hey there

I used the BJ-Device TB-11P with the software from GMarts that works great with the AxeFXIII. In the software you can configure 11 pages with functions to assign to the 11 switches and the expression pedal with long hold function per switch (8 pages * 11 switches * 2 (hold) = 166 functions) that is a lot :) if you would ever need it.

I wrote a review on this very functional controller: BJ-Device TB-11P

and yes, it is for sale if ur interested. It comes incl 2 * 7mtr midi cables and phantom power from the midi.

Good luck on your quest

Cheers

I've just gone from a Morningstar MC8 to FC12. I didn't realise Morningstar have some auto Fractal integration now but even watching that video, it's still a lot more involved than the MC8. The FC12 is perfect and I should've got one sooner. Plus I found I was often hitting two switches at once on the MC8, not so with the FC12.

I really considered getting an FC6 , but I couldn't justify the giant size for 6 buttons. the interface would be great, the scribble strips, and the lighted switches would all be wonderful, But I felt like it should have been 30-40% smaller for what it did. I wound up with an MC6 MKII. I like it and it works well without taking too much space up. I would love for it to integrate with fractal better. It has improved since I got it, but not enough to rely on morningstar's fractal communications vs programming my own CC #s.

I've just gone from a Morningstar MC8 to FC12. I didn't realise Morningstar have some auto Fractal integration now but even watching that video, it's still a lot more involved than the MC8. The FC12 is perfect and I should've got one sooner. Plus I found I was often hitting two switches at once on the MC8, not so with the FC12.
I really considered getting an FC6 , but I couldn't justify the giant size for 6 buttons. the interface would be great, the scribble strips, and the lighted switches would all be wonderful, But I felt like it should have been 30-40% smaller for what it did. I wound up with an MC6 MKII.

I don't have huge feet, I do have wide feet and I've never been a fan of mini effect pedals for this exact reason. I recently upgraded to a larger pedalboard so it is large enough to house the FM3+FC6. The utility factor for the FC-6 is the most important thing and I honestly have changed my mindset a lot about buying gear since switching to Fractal. I am not afraid to spend a little more to get the product that is right to do the job I need it to, instead of buying something less expensive but may do a sub par job.

Back
Top Bottom