30 ms Delay But Nothing Else

Could someone tell a newbie if this twin sound works only in a stereo setup or does it sound ok with a single speaker.
This sounded great with the headphones (obviously stereo) but when i tried it with the single Greenback speaker, it wasn't as magical.

Maybe we could add a block that can automatically do this? Maybe it could be called the "double tracking" block?

Could someone tell a newbie if this twin sound works only in a stereo setup or does it sound ok with a single speaker.
This sounded great with the headphones (obviously stereo) but when i tried it with the single Greenback speaker, it wasn't as magical.

It needs a stereo setup to work

All of my patches are dual amp, usually with different cabs as well. I have been combining an old school FAS IR on one side and a mix IR on the other. Using 2 mix IRs can sometimes sound too "mixed". Right now I use an inline delay at 20ms starting point and adjust to taste. Will try Simeon's 14 ms suggestion. In my case I take it one step further as I feed the Axe from a POD HD via AES. The POD is used to route JTV Variax mags and modeled sounds separately left and right. My JTVs all have PRails for more flexibility on the mag side.

It sounds a bit more like 2 different guitars IMHO. For some strange reason the "wideness" or difference changes depending on which strings you are playing. It seems that often the high E and B sound less wide as do the low E and A, while the D and G strings seem to sound a bit wider. Hearing those changes while you play just sounds a bit more "3D" to me. I got so used to it, I rarely use any other type of patches and rarely play any guitar that is not a JTV these days.

I use either a digital delay or analog depending on patch. Analog if I want to fatten things up a bit, digital if I want a "thinner" sound. Also if I am using delay as an effect such as dotted 8ths, I change the 20ms delay to Y and have say analog delay on dotted 8ths, while on the other side I do stereo tape set to dotted 8ths. Different sounding delays on each side into different amps,cabs and being fed by different pickups adds up to more subtle goodness in my whacky mind.

The downside is the DSP limit is hit sooner especially with drive pedals added. I wish the drive pedals were stereo so I can maybe get away with one rather than two. The POD helps unload FX stuff from the Axe. I know I will get snickering etc, but I see a crap load of "pro boards" with line 6 4 button pedals, M13s etc. I use POD for Volume and Wah pretty much all the time. By adding different mods or stomps to left and right on POD I can further the "two guitar" illusion further. I ave done whacky things like mutron up on one side with mutron down on the other. Takes some tweaking but I usually accidentally stumble on stuff that sounds cool. I also combine say a fuzz or jet fuzz with a growler for cool and fat synth sounds.

I still feel like a newbie with tweaking this stuff and often hit a dead end that causes me to start from scratch. I am sooooo looking forward to Axefest to learn some cool stuff from the tweaking experts!

lol. My idea included other parts that aren't in the stereo enhancer block but I was too lazy to put them into my post.

well the thing is, if you want to create an automatic double track with variances in time and level, then you have all the tools you need already. asking for another block is a bit lazy, imo. 5 mins with the delay block and two modifiers and you're done. the axe fx is a very powerful box and provides many of the tools you need to create what you need. move away from a "preset" or "pick a block" mentality and move towards a "let's make this using the tools we have" mentality and you'll see just how powerful it is. the sky's the limit, really...

well the thing is, if you want to create an automatic double track with variances in time and level, then you have all the tools you need already. asking for another block is a bit lazy, imo. 5 mins with the delay block and two modifiers and you're done. the axe fx is a very powerful box and provides many of the tools you need to create what you need. move away from a "preset" or "pick a block" mentality and move towards a "let's make this using the tools we have" mentality and you'll see just how powerful it is. the sky's the limit, really...

Point taken. I appreciate everyone's responses thus far and their great ideas.

I disagree sort of. Using the tools in the box is a great way to learn but some guys don't want to learn. Where do you draw the line? Do we go back to just a generic drive block and we figure out how to make it sound like an 808, rat or zen drive? Do we go back to generic delay and figure out how to make it simulate a tape or analog delay?

IMHO any features that make the Axe more accessible to the masses is good for sales. Anything that makes it easier for a dope like me to use it is also very welcome!

Back
Top Bottom