3+ Years and Still Going Strong!

JoKeR III

Fractal Fanatic
A couple of weeks ago I was practicing and thoroughly enjoying it, I couldn't get over how pleased I was with the tones I was hearing. I enjoy reading reviews of all the FAS devices but almost all are based upon new experiences with them, including the Axe III. I thought I would offer my perspective after a few years with the Axe III.

One thing I want to say up front is I am very particular about my tone, as most of you are, and will use whatever provides me the best tones and sounds possible, period. If that means lugging amps, cabs and effects around, that's exactly what I will do. Using the Axe III has absolutely nothing to do with convenience or saving my back.

The first thing, and most important to me, is the quality and authenticity of the amp models. I don't use a lot of different models but have played around with quite a few of them. The ones I've spent the most time with are the 1987X Treble, AC-20, Carol-Ann Triptik Modern, Class A 30W, Deluxe Verb Normal, Hot Kitty, Matchbox D-30 EF86 and Nuclear Tone.

Every amp model I've tried has delivered 100% of the tone I expected. Other modelers I've used have had some character that often blurred the lines between different models, especially similar models like EL84 based amps. I would also eventually reach a place where the amps started sounding more and more alike. Not with FAS, each amp has it's own sound. There's no 'Fractal' sound, it's just the amps the way they are supposed to sound, warts and all.

The second thing that is important to me is the dynamics of the amp, the feel and response. The Axe III has continued to deliver this in spades. I have owned a few really good amps, one of which was a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia w/Celestion Blue. It was the first amp I played that had what I felt was the "3D" tone, the Axe III delivers the same feel. The other thing is playing dynamics and the response of the amp models. I found myself thinking about this the past weekend as I was playing on stage, realizing that I was picking softer to get a lower volume and less gain, then as I picked and strummed harder, the volume and gain increased. I guess I had been taking it for granted but it put a smile on my face in that moment - I was using a digital device that responds like an analog amp. The amp models are very responsive to the guitars volume control as well, just like a 'real' amp.

Sticking with the amps, one thing that has continued to be a lot of fun is the level of control I have over the tone. The number of parameters is overwhelming but I have discovered a few that are my go-to parameters to get the tones I want. I used to roll preamp tubes in my amps and the 'advanced' parameters allow me to dial in exactly what I want to hear, the same effect as swapping tubes. Can't say enough about how much I appreciate that level of control, it's so easy to mod any amp.

The Cab Block is another feature that I continue to love about the Axe III. The ability to mix up to 4 separate IRs is invaluable to me. I saw a rig rundown of Joe Don Rooney's rig and he was using 4 different cabs with different mics and positions. I have been a fan of his tone and being able to apply this concept has been a staple in my presets. Again, the tone shaping options in the Cab block are incredible and quite effective.

Getting into the effects, there's really not enough time to go through each one I use in detail but suffice it to say that I no longer use any outboard effects. There has not been any effect I've owned or wanted that I haven't been able to replicate with the Axe III. Some people seem to knock the drives but I have found them to be incredibly good. There isn't a drive, distortion, boost or gain structure that I've wanted that I haven't been able to dial in with at least one of the Drive Models.

The Delays and Reverbs are incredible. The cloud types and the recent constellation models are really out of this world. I play a lot of ambient stuff and it's really cool to have all of these models available. The typical reverbs like Room, Hall and Plate are equally stellar. The North Church, Cathedral and Deep Space models are favorites of mine as well. The Plex block has been a God send, the recently added types have really opened my eyes to the possibilities of this block.

The Delay model selection is very comprehensive and each model delivers exactly what I want or need every single time. Again, the parameters available to shape the effect go above and beyond what is really needed but I have found that using some that aren't on the actual pedal can transform an 'okay' sounding delay into a magical experience. The Multi-Delay block is another one that has become a staple in my presets, it's invaluable. It can be used as a reverb, supplement an ambient sound or can do the same things as 2 or 3 'regular' delay blocks.

Bottom line with the effects, I have been able to get any sound I want or need without any compromise. Each block has an impressive list of types/models/presets that there's really no need for deep tweaking anymore to get some really cool sounds.

Lastly, and this really has nothing to do with what the Axe III does, but the thing that continues to astonish me is the relentless pursuit of FAS to make their products and modeling platform the benchmark for modeling in the industry. Their customer support and interaction with the users on the forum is incredible. I have been fortunate to not need much from support, but the couple of times I needed assistance, they have been very quick to respond, patient through the process and very friendly, professional and courteous. They are head and shoulders above any other company I've ever dealt with.

The continued FW updates that include so many incredible features, effects, amps and fixes- all without charge- is simply mind boggling. I have never experienced this level of service from any company, large or small.

I mentioned at the beginning that I will use whatever provides the best tones and sounds possible. I can confidently say that the Axe III continues to do exactly that after 3+ years without any compromise whatsoever.

Last edited:
That's a great review, and although I've had mine a year-and-a-half less than you, and still don't dive in very deep or have a live monitoring setup to bring out the best of the Axe III, this piece of gear has easily been the best money spent, and the one thing that has inspired me to become a much better player than I ever have been in the 35 years I've been playing guitar. I play it every day.

That's a great review, and although I've had mine a year-and-a-half less than you, and still don't dive in very deep or have a live monitoring setup to bring out the best of the Axe III, this piece of gear has easily been the best money spent, and the one thing that has inspired me to become a much better player than I ever have been in the 35 years I've been playing guitar. I play it every day.
The Axe III is easily my best gear purchase. It's cured my G.A.S. resulting in more time playing and less time researching gear. Can't say it's translated to being that much better but it's been a lot more fun playing.

Great write up. Agree on every point. Got my first Axe Fx in 2008, a used Std. Didn't really realize it had been 14 years of using Fractal gear-wow! Since then an Axe Fx and/or FM unit has been in my rigs (or my rig) and has become the mainstay for wonderful guitar noises.
While I never got into modeling for convenience, Fractal gear has made it so easy to get the sounds in my head to the ears of who ever is listening all while sounding stellar. Probably the best tool I ever purchased.

wait, better than an EBMM Monarchy? or is that the Okelani Blue (Enchanted Forest?) i joke, i joke... :p
Love for FAS, Petrucci and EBMM JP6 and Majesty's

wait, better than an EBMM Monarchy? or is that the Okelani Blue (Enchanted Forest?) i joke, i joke... :p
Love for FAS, Petrucci and EBMM JP6 and Majesty's
Love for all the above!

It's the Enchanted Forest, and yes, it was hugely inspirational as well. I got it before the Axe III, and I played it unplugged for hours at a time, pretty much every day. But having those amazing tones at the ready, has been the icing on the cake, so to speak.

Put it this way, I found a great deal on a Tri Axis & 2:90, between getting the guitar and the III, so I mainly bought the Fractal as a multi-effects for that amp setup. But since getting the Axe, I barely even play it.

Back
Top Bottom