3 switches Vs 11

Lee Servis

Inspired
Hello. Before the FM3 forum was temporarily taken down a few weeks back - and I totally understand why it was - I posted a thread asking if it would be possible for me to do with the FM3’s 3 switches, what I can do with the AX8’s 11.
I should point out here that I’m a simple beast (a Neanderthal technophobe, if you will).
In terms of my AX8, which I’m loving, by the way, I use 2-4 Presets per gig and use 3-4 Scenes per Preset. I also have an EV-1 as Wah only.
I know not too many folks have their eager, sweaty palms on an FM3 yet, but when I posted this question a few weeks ago I got some very helpful answers... no longer accessible after the temp FM3 forum takedown.
But if anyone more knowledgable than me (at least 99% of you) wants to jump in - in that wonderful Fractal community way), feel free... I’m all ears... erm... I mean eyes. Thank you in advance.

The advantage of the FC controller is that any switch can be assigned any function. The disadvantage of the FC controller is that any switch can be assigned to any function. 8 layouts (not counting the Master Layout Menu) and now having Views as an option, it can be overwhelming. I had to literally sit down and write out what I needed to accomplish before assigning functions to switches. Per-Preset switches, Layout Links and Control Switches seem to be the core tools of my setup.

I've used the FC-6 with just 3 switches and using Layout Links, I could easily perform live with 3 presets, a couple of scenes, changing 2-4 effects per song and a lead boost. It just takes some thinking about your workflow to accomplish what you need. I did add an external switch that I used to access the Preset (Tap) and Scene (Hold) layouts which increased functionality, but it's very doable with just the 3 switches on the FC.

Using scene toggle can allow access to 4 scenes with 2 switches and you can assign which scene you want the switch to access first. This would be more versatile assigning the switch as a Per-Preset switch so you're not locked into using specific scenes or scene order for every preset. Control Switches can work in place of scenes by turning on/off multiple effects, adjusting many parameters and block levels all with one switch.

Indeed I do switch Presets per song.
Just gotta say how much I love this forum..., I posed the question, put my phone away for a few minutes, looked a few minutes later... and... BAM! Responses. Thank you folks 👍

Don't forget that you can add two external switches using the Pedal 2 jack. You can assign them as 'Stand-in' switches. Meaning that they can do anything that the other three switches can do. Since those won't show up on any display, I would use them for more global functions.. Tap/Tuner, Preset,, Looper, etc. Layouts, Bank Up and Down, etc.... And, since those aren't 'performance' functions, you can take full advantage of the 'Toggle' and 'Press and Hold' features.

Thanks a bunch - as always - JoKeR... wonderfully comprehensive, and insightful, response... though I’ll need to read 6 or 7 times if I’m to get my head around it 😂

The whole “adding” 2, 3, 6 or 12 switches throws me. If the FM3 comes with ‘only’ 3 switches then that trio should allow me to perform my basic needs... otherwise why ‘only’ 3 switches 😂

The whole “adding” 2, 3, 6 or 12 switches throws me. If the FM3 comes with ‘only’ 3 switches then that trio should allow me to perform my basic needs... otherwise why ‘only’ 3 switches 😂
It does... It's just a question of how easily. ;)

I'll be completely honest, the gig I played the other night with just three switches was one of the most rewarding shows I've ever played. I spent more time playing and less time thinking about tap dancing than I ever have. The FM3 really frees you up to think about actually playing guitar. Which, after all, is the entire point of what we're doing. Right?

I'll be completely honest, the gig I played the other night with just three switches was one of the most rewarding shows I've ever played. I spent more time playing and less time thinking about tap dancing than I ever have. The FM3 really frees you up to think about actually playing guitar. Which, after all, is the entire point of what we're doing. Right?

I would like this comment n+ if I could! Yes, it really is all about the guitar playing!

Even though I don't own the FM3 (as of yet), and neither do many others, too many people are jumping to conclusions about the minimalistic approach of only 3 buttons without even trying it.

I personally am really looking forward to experimenting with the (ingenious) layout offerings and seeing for myself what can be done with only 3 buttons.

Aside from all the tomfoolery posted, it's really refreshing to read about an inspiring (positive) "real world" experience! Thank you for sharing that Cooper.

I think I’m safe in saying, Cooper, I’m not quite at your level of Fractalism and playing 😂😂 but your post fills me with positivity for the 3 switch layout. Thank you 😜

So an even perfecter unit would have two switches or even only one so it's even less distracting? ;) The AX8 can be used like this aswell! Not a very good argument imho.

I can imagine this in a live situation, because on the MFC I then also only use the scene+ switch and occasionally the scene- in case of mistakes or a third one when activating an effect which I then don't need scenes for. On the other hand, eight scenes are barely enough for some songs! Still, the MFC is too big for me, so I'm all in on reducing size and number of switches!

But what about rehearsals when songs are being created? How is the workflow then?

If it was possible to assign the switches on a scenes level, I can imagine amazing possibilities with only three switches, but iirc that's not the case.

Eagerly waiting for really detailed videos!!!

I have been using the FM3 for a bit now (beta testing) I’ve done a fair amount of shows, quite a few of my Facebook lives and youtube lives and I’ve gotten used to the three switches. It took me a minute but thats because I was deeply in the mind set of how my songs worked with the AX8. All the sideman gigs I did with the FM3 where super easy. I had no Pre planned ideas of how things would work. I just went with the flow of how Matt Picone’s default layouts where set up. I think they might be the best for many people especially coming to their first fractal unit. Only in the last few weeks have I started to alter the default layouts and really only the scenes layout. The presets layout default is pretty straight forward and it works. 3 presets per bank -1 and +1 with the MLM in the middle. It works.

the scenes is where I changed things a bit. Instead of getting to scenes 1through 8 through views. I needed to get through some scenes back and for quickly. This still has limits but I set my scenes up for my songs as best as possible to work this way. And it’s just been remembering where the scenes I need and when are. And I’m not sure sure I can go back to the AX8 now with the scenes for songs moved around in my head. Anyway. I changed the Tap on the the 3 switches in view one in scenes to scene toggles. So SW 1 scene 1/4 then SW2 scene 2/5 then SW 3 scene 3/6 the next view has Sw 1 scene 7 then SW 2 scene 8 then SW 3 tap tempo the next view is SW 1 Drive 1 SW 2 Delay 1 and finally SW 3 is Tuner I may change the Drive 1 and Delay 1 to per preset switches most of the times I need those and now only those. (I’ve changed my ways) but some songs I need to turn on and off the chorus or Chang channels on the delay or something else. But most effects changes are handled by scene changes.

so far I’m only using 3 layouts

presets. (Default)

scenes (as described above).

looper (default)

I think the default layouts (Matt created)4C34F090-3242-449E-A6A6-8CDC705B7223.jpeg will work for many many users and a great place to start for everyone else wanting to customize things and make the FM 3 truly YOUR own personal musical expression device

I would say, try to concentrate on the possibilities of the 3 switches and not the preconceived limits of the 3 switches

Matt posted a really cool idea i thought for the toggling scenes to be able to get to everything

iIRC it was something like this

Scene 1 was crunch toggling to sc 2 clean
Sc 3 was lead toggling Sc 4 was the clean again repeated

By doing this all 3 clean crunch lead could be accessed at any time

For me i may add one more step

Switch 1 toggles crunch/ clean
Switch 2 toggles higain / clean
Switch 3 no toggle lead

That still leaves me the hold functionality likely
Sw 1 layout link to load FX
Sw2 MLM
Sw3Tuner

I have been using the FM3 for a bit now (beta testing) I’ve done a fair amount of shows, quite a few of my Facebook lives and youtube lives and I’ve gotten used to the three switches. It took me a minute but thats because I was deeply in the mind set of how my songs worked with the AX8. All the sideman gigs I did with the FM3 where super easy. I had no Pre planned ideas of how things would work. I just went with the flow of how Matt Picone’s default layouts where set up. I think they might be the best for many people especially coming to their first fractal unit. Only in the last few weeks have I started to alter the default layouts and really only the scenes layout. The presets layout default is pretty straight forward and it works. 3 presets per bank -1 and +1 with the MLM in the middle. It works.

the scenes is where I changed things a bit. Instead of getting to scenes 1through 8 through views. I needed to get through some scenes back and for quickly. This still has limits but I set my scenes up for my songs as best as possible to work this way. And it’s just been remembering where the scenes I need and when are. And I’m not sure sure I can go back to the AX8 now with the scenes for songs moved around in my head. Anyway. I changed the Tap on the the 3 switches in view one in scenes to scene toggles. So SW 1 scene 1/4 then SW2 scene 2/5 then SW 3 scene 3/6 the next view has Sw 1 scene 7 then SW 2 scene 8 then SW 3 tap tempo the next view is SW 1 Drive 1 SW 2 Delay 1 and finally SW 3 is Tuner I may change the Drive 1 and Delay 1 to per preset switches most of the times I need those and now only those. (I’ve changed my ways) but some songs I need to turn on and off the chorus or Chang channels on the delay or something else. But most effects changes are handled by scene changes.

so far I’m only using 3 layouts

presets. (Default)

scenes (as described above).

looper (default)

I think the default layouts (Matt created)View attachment 64157 will work for many many users and a great place to start for everyone else wanting to customize things and make the FM 3 truly YOUR own personal musical expression device

I would say, try to concentrate on the possibilities of the 3 switches and not the preconceived limits of the 3 switches

That template is really cool LM
May have to print one out :)

The new 'View' function is genius! It lets you setup each Layout like an FC12, and then 'View' three of the switches at a time.

Hey @Admin M@, is there a possibility of adding this 'View' function to the Axe-Fx III/FC6 to easily access the other 6 switches in the same way?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom